• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Ward off to hot start in AA

Hubs

1 minute ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

My understanding is his issues with catching were also physical, so scouts were well aware of what was going on. 

If you had a guy you felt was capable of being a major league catcher, you would never move him away from catcher before he got to the majors. 

what this guy said

7 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Maybe they believed that everything that went into being a catcher under Scioscia's regime takes a lot of focus off the development in his hitting?

From early reports he's looked good defensively at 3B and he definitely has the arm to stick there. 

I see a lot of former catcher turned 3B Josh Donaldson in Taylor Ward's big league trajectory. 

Eric Chavez likely had a lot of say here... He's clearly a guy Eppler puts a of of faith in.

4 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

My understanding is his issues with catching were also physical, so scouts were well aware of what was going on. 

If you had a guy you felt was capable of being a major league catcher, you would never move him away from catcher before he got to the majors. 

See...this is the sort of insight that ends a lot of the speculation.... Thanks for your continued presence here....

14 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Physical meaning what exactly?  His arm, agility, range of motion? Don’t know if you can actually discuss specifically what his issues were behind he plate but I’m curious. 

Yeah, so maybe Ward can be more of a backup infielder who can also serve as a 3rd catcher?  Uncertain, but those skills won't just entirely vanish, so he'll still have some catching utility for us.  But if what Fletcher says is correct, then yeah, it sounds like the club ideally doesn't want him to catch many games at all for us on the big league level.

18 hours ago, Hubs said:

I was looking over minor league stats, and saw Taylor Ward has a .600 BA, with a .625 OBP and .733 SLG in his first weekend of being a third baseman.

if he could keep up these numbers for the entire year, that'd be pretty good.

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I’ve heard his receiving skills were not good. Didn’t move well to block balls. 

Granted, I'm not a professional at this, but he did make a ton of growth in his pitch blocking ability. There still seemed to be deficit there, but I honestly didn't think it was that big of an issue anymore. It was difficult from the angle I've had to assess his pitch receiving abilities though.  

Ward will not sustain this performance with a .750 BABIP and a 5% BB% rate.

Don't get me wrong I'm glad he's off to a hot start but he'll need to bring that walk rate up to his Minor League career average of 10%+ and keep that K% at the current 15% it is at in order to sustain merely a good performance.

Let's hope he turns into a good defensive 3B that can get on-base with some 15-20 HR pop and you'll have an above average starter.

3 hours ago, ettin said:

Ward will not sustain this performance with a .750 BABIP and a 5% BB% rate.

Don't get me wrong I'm glad he's off to a hot start but he'll need to bring that walk rate up to his Minor League career average of 10%+ and keep that K% at the current 15% it is at in order to sustain merely a good performance.

Let's hope he turns into a good defensive 3B that can get on-base with some 15-20 HR pop and you'll have an above average starter.

I don't think anyone expects him to bat .600. So duh.