• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Nine Years Ago Yesterday...

nate

11 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Nine years ago but.  yeah... 

I actually thought about it having been 9 years to the day of his last game yesterday but ..  just didnt want to even mention it given what Ohtani was doing.

Was still an unsettling feeling.

My bad, fixed.

Ive always respected the hell out of Weaver for how he handled that. Writing his initials, naming his kid after him, etc.

I talked to him about it once. He said they werent that close, until that spring going in to the year. Weaver said they hit it off, so when it happened it hit him hard.

18 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Ive always respected the hell out of Weaver for how he handled that. Writing his initials, naming his kid after him, etc.

I talked to him about it once. He said they werent that close, until that spring going in to the year. Weaver said they hit it off, so when it happened it hit him hard.

In a sense, it was the same for me - I mean, I didn't know Nick, had followed him with a little extra interest, since he was from this part of the country, drafted by "my" team, but there was no personal connection.

And when I watched him pitch that night, I celebrated a bit - a kid with so much promise,  who *everyone* said was a great kid, overcoming that early surgery, and finally touching that dream we all had as kids, and showing the promise we all hoped was there - was a great night to be an Angels fan.

And when I heard the first rumor - of a car accident involving an young Angels player, and that it looked really bad, I somehow knew it was Nick.  As details leaked out, I hoped for awhile that he'd survived, though it was clear from the description his career would be over - but turned out, the severely injured survivor was his friend, and that Nick and the others had already passed.  I don't know why it hit me so hard, but it did, imagining his father seeing him start - then hours later, getting that early-morning call that's every parents secret nightmare.  That's what really hurt - imagining his parents, seeing their son realize his dream, the ultimate joy of a parent,  then experiencing the unimaginable cruelty of having it all ripped away just hours later in a senseless act. It was devastating.

Weaver keeping Nick's memory alive the way he has is one of the most touching and respectful things I've seen in baseball.

They say a person dies twice - once, when they draw their last breath.  And once when their name is spoken for the last time.  

Safe to say Nick's memory will remain alive for many years to come.