• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, rafibomb said:

but i enjoy the reading

Well....I've heard of GM's making a phone call for a minor leaguer, or even coming by and shaking hands if it's a high profile one. The real selling, going out of their way and pulling out all the stops, that's reserved for major free agents. 

I've NEVER heard of a GM chasing a prospect this hard. As soon as he's legal to speak with, Eppler and the AGMs and Swanson are on the phone with his agents and on an international flight to sell him on the organization and offer him a contract in person, then flying him back to the U.S. to go over the game plan with him and where they see him.

Eppler had a lot going on. Free agency, winter meetings, the Ohtani pitch, but he made signing Kevin Maitan a top priority. That's how much Eppler and Swanson believe in his ability.

So yeah, in my opinion, I think he's the real deal, and I think he's been portrayed in a less than favorable light. Those swings and the pictures from AZ were ugly. He looked terrible, and out of shape. 

He shows up in Orem, has a beautiful swing, looks normal in the uniform and is moving around perfectly fine at SS. 

Either he made vast improvements in his body shape and hitting ability in a very, very short amount of time, or a certain someone chose to only show the ugly moments from extended ST.

Long run, I think we got ourselves an all-star third baseman.

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/los-angeles-angels-kevin-maitan-gets-three-hits-for-orem-owlz/c-282213926?tcid=tw_article_282213926

"I just told him to relax, take a good approach and don't change anything you've been working on," Orem manager Dave Stapleton said. "He started things off for us and went up there not thinking too much. Just hit the ball hard and don't overdo it."

"Kevin impresses me more and more every day," Stapleton said. "He does things on the field that make you turn and go, 'Wow, he's only 18?' He's truly accepted a leadership role and is doing a great job with it. He's got a lot of upside and it's just a matter of us bringing him along and not letting him beat himself up too much over failures. He expects so much of himself."

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

as do 90% of us.  I like Scotty because he's got actual specific opinions and isn't afraid to express them.  It's not 'hey, this guys sucks or is kinda good', it's 'here are five specific things I have about this guy that I've seen and I think this because of it'.  People who get paid to do for a living what he offers here for free are often less accurate.  People punish him for being wrong on a message board yet Managers, GM's and owners all over baseball do things like sign Josh Hamilton and Chris Davis or let Alcides Escobar play or let Oliver Drake tow the mound in a close game.  

+1

8 hours ago, rafibomb said:

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/los-angeles-angels-kevin-maitan-gets-three-hits-for-orem-owlz/c-282213926?tcid=tw_article_282213926

"I just told him to relax, take a good approach and don't change anything you've been working on," Orem manager Dave Stapleton said. "He started things off for us and went up there not thinking too much. Just hit the ball hard and don't overdo it."

"Kevin impresses me more and more every day," Stapleton said. "He does things on the field that make you turn and go, 'Wow, he's only 18?' He's truly accepted a leadership role and is doing a great job with it. He's got a lot of upside and it's just a matter of us bringing him along and not letting him beat himself up too much over failures. He expects so much of himself."

I like that he expects so much of himself. All the best players do. I think what seperates guys like Simmons and Trout are their ability to shake it off quickly when they fail.

It is very much a mental thing and would make sense why a teenager might struggle with it.

7 hours ago, TroutField said:

Orlando Martinez killing it so far for Orem. Anybody have any info on him other than we signed him out of Cuba for 250 k and hit well as an 18 year old in an 18u league 

One scout I spoke with believed he was the best pure hitter in the teenage circuit in a few years. Not a ton of upside, but he can flat out rake from what I understand. 

Nonie Williams already has 3 errors in 5 games as an outfielder. Hitting .105 too. Not a very encouraging start.

Francisco del Valle is another to watch in Orem. He caught my eye back when he was drafted, but hasn't done much since. Missed some time with injury, but is off to a nice start.

Swanda, Yan, Molina, Rivera, and Duensing have the makings of a really fun rotation to watch develop, but Duensing is starting to tread water.

Baseball Prospectus posted some eyewitness scouting reports on players today and had a write-up on Jose Suarez. Free article so it's not behind a paywall.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/prospects/article/40795/eyewitness-accounts-june-21-william-contreras-drew-waters/

Potentially 3 above-average pitches and mid-rotation starter upside

Signed as an IFA for $300,000 out of Venezuela in 2014, Suarez has really come into his own over the last calendar year, adding velo while maintaining solid underlying command of his physicality. He repeats well and generates out-sized extension and plane for his 5-foot-10 frame, with the potential for three above-average or better pitches that play true thanks to above-average command and control, and some deception that helps his already-very-solid stuff play up further still. He’s too good for High-A already, and has the look of a rapid riser towards a slot in the middle of a quality big-league rotation.

Just now, Lou said:

8.Connor Riley RHP South Carolina-Aiken Signed - $10,000 (Slot - $163,800)

9.Brett Hanewich RHP Stanford Signed - $10,000 (Slot - $143,900)

10.Daniel Procopio RHP Niagara (NY) - $10,000 (Slot - $134,900)

How did we pull this off?

College Seniors, they have no leverage.  

1 minute ago, Lou said:

8.Connor Riley RHP South Carolina-Aiken Signed - $10,000 (Slot - $163,800)

9.Brett Hanewich RHP Stanford Signed - $10,000 (Slot - $143,900)

10.Daniel Procopio RHP Niagara (NY) - $10,000 (Slot - $134,900)

How did we pull this off?

Many teams still look for high school talent in rounds 8-10. The Angels spent to bring in extra talent earlier in the draft and thus could only spend so much in rounds 8-10. Then in round 11 they spend again because that bonus isn't slot based. 

Many 11th round picks receive bonuses on par with a third or fourth round pick, whereas 10th round picks will sometimes get a bonus on par with the guys at the very end of the draft.

Sometimes undrafted FA actually sign for more than those that are actually drafted.

1 minute ago, Lou said:

so how do the team's right for a drafted player if he doesn't sign? 

For college seniors I think it is until the day before the following draft.  For Juniors or high school players it is sometime at the end of August.  

45 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

For college seniors I think it is until the day before the following draft.  For Juniors or high school players it is sometime at the end of August.  

I’m old and my memory is bad but weren’t the Angels close to the cut off when they signed Weaver?