• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

19 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

But if he was here in Spring, not sure it would present an issue. He's DHing in the Dominican, I don't see why he can't in Arizona.

The best guess I have is that it's his first time away from home, he might've been a little homesick, they sent him there to see his family, get a few games in and then head back stateside for the AZL.

I was also a little surprised they moved Orlando Martinez to Orem so quickly. I mean he is 20 and he lost his age 19 season leaving the island, but was the best hitter in the country at age 18. He only signed for 250k and I figured they'd let him get his feet wet in Arizona, but they must've liked what they saw and thought he was ready.

There isn't really any hype to him, but this scout was absolutely raving about him, so I'm curious to see what the fuss is about. 

He and Uceta are the guys I'm looking at as dark horses to break into the Top 30. In years past that wouldn't have been an issue, but since Eppler started doing his job, the top 30 actually means something now.

as aggressive as they've been, I trust their reasons for doing what they've done with either player.  Clearly, Martinez has some skill or he'd be in azl.  Or it's the sheer fact that he's 20 and Uceta is 17.  The youngest player on the AZL roster last year was 18.  

I was headed out the door to the 66ers game tonight when I get a text that standards found a couple of signages they wanted removed after the show was delivered so I had to drive in to fix them. $&*©%¥!!!

Early Hits

Griffin Canning
RHP, Angels

Canning ranked 26th on the 2017 BA500 draft rankings but he fell to the second round after some teams had concerns with his medical report. If the draft were re-done today, Canning would be picked in the first round as was expected. His fastball has ticked up from 90-94 mph to 93-97, his slider and curveball are both flashing plus, and he was the second pitcher from the draft to reach Double-A. He recorded a 1.72 ERA through his first seven starts at Mobile, and he had been the starter in two combined no-hitters.

12 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Early Hits

Griffin Canning
RHP, Angels

Canning ranked 26th on the 2017 BA500 draft rankings but he fell to the second round after some teams had concerns with his medical report. If the draft were re-done today, Canning would be picked in the first round as was expected. His fastball has ticked up from 90-94 mph to 93-97, his slider and curveball are both flashing plus, and he was the second pitcher from the draft to reach Double-A. He recorded a 1.72 ERA through his first seven starts at Mobile, and he had been the starter in two combined no-hitters.

Very very promising! Between him and Barria they should have 2/5 completed for the starting rotation!

I think for me the prospects I am most anxiously awaiting in order would be Adell and then Canning.  After that, I really don’t know, probably Marsh, then maybe a guy like Deveaux, but I am only excited because of what people on here say about Deveaux. What would be nice is if Maitan could find what made him so desirable.  

Just now, The Boogie Man said:

I think for me the prospects I am most anxiously awaiting in order would be Adell and then Canning.  After that, I really don’t know, probably Marsh, then maybe a guy like Deveaux, but I am only excited because of what people on here say about Deveaux. What would be nice is if Maitan could find what made him so desirable.  

Those guys you all mentioned, plus Rengifo, Thaiss, Ward, Saurez and even Jared Walsh who has clubbed 18 HR on the season. 

But yeah, if Nonie Williams and Maitan can put up some numbers, our already talented and deep farm system will be even better. Maybe if those two guys do well, we enter the top 5.

2 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

Jordon Adell went 1-for-2 with a homer, two runs scored and a stolen bases for High-A Inland Empire on Thursday.

Adell's homer gives him seven since his promotion to the California League, and the steal is his sixth. The 10th pick of the 2017 draft has exceeded expectations, showing five tools quicker than anyone could have anticipated. Assuming he starts next year in Double-A, there's a chance he helps the Angels in 2019, but 2020 looks like a more realistic ETA. Whenever it comes, Adell has a chance to be a fantasy star.

I'm right there with you on Adell. I think were going to see him sooner rather than later.

Just now, Angelsfan1984 said:

Jordon Adell went 1-for-2 with a homer, two runs scored and a stolen bases for High-A Inland Empire on Thursday.

Adell's homer gives him seven since his promotion to the California League, and the steal is his sixth. The 10th pick of the 2017 draft has exceeded expectations, showing five tools quicker than anyone could have anticipated. Assuming he starts next year in Double-A, there's a chance he helps the Angels in 2019, but 2020 looks like a more realistic ETA. Whenever it comes, Adell has a chance to be a fantasy star.

I'm right there with you on Adell. I think were going to see him sooner rather than later.

I recommend everyone in So. Cal going to see him this weekend. The Angels really like to move their prospects quickly after they see success at a certain level. 

I know some were bummed to have missed out on Canning, Suarez and Rengifo earlier in the season before they were promoted to Double-A.

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

Those guys you all mentioned, plus Rengifo, Thaiss, Ward, Saurez and even Jared Walsh who has clubbed 18 HR on the season. 

But yeah, if Nonie Williams and Maitan can put up some numbers, our already talented and deep farm system will be even better. Maybe if those two guys do well, we enter the top 5.

I like guys that play Rengifo’s style of game or at least my perception of his style of play.  I think he is the middle infielder that hits for high average and steals some bases?  Right?  I am looking forward to Thaiss and Ward, Suarez, I don’t know enough about.  Thaiss and Ward have been around a minute, so the anticipation of those two are on a different level.  I hope Fletcher continues to hit.  

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

I recommend everyone in So. Cal going to see him this weekend. The Angels really like to move their prospects quickly after they see success at a certain level. 

I know some were bummed to have missed out on Canning, Suarez and Rengifo earlier in the season before they were promoted to Double-A.

Yea, I might try to go this next week, I am in Havasu this weekend, so I can’t go see him this weekend.  

6 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

I like guys that play Rengifo’s style of game or at least my perception of his style of play.  I think he is the middle infielder that hits for high average and steals some bases?  Right?  I am looking forward to Thaiss and Ward, Suarez, I don’t know enough about.  Thaiss and Ward have been around a minute, so the anticipation of those two are on a different level.  I hope Fletcher continues to hit.  

Yeah, I mean we haven't had a good leadoff guy that makes contact, gets on base, has a little pop (not a ton) and steals bases since Chone Figgins. That was 2009. :(

Like Figgins, he's a switch hitter too that hits well both right and lefthanded, so no platooning is necessary.

Rengifo is slashing .328/.425/.498 with 27 SB, 35 walks to 29 strikeouts. 

That's pretty bad ass for a leadoff hitter. 

26 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

Does Renigifo have a higher ceiling than Fletcher Chuck?   

I think because he has more stolen bases potential yes. Other parts are their game are pretty similar. 

Both don't strikeout much. Both will take a walk (though Rengifo has more walks). Rengifo is faster. Both will probably max out at 15 HR in the big leagues down the road, but I can see a .300 BA, .375+ OBP in the big leagues. 

Rengifo has definitely become my favorite Angels middle infield prospect. Rivas has been kind of disappointing - not adjusted well to A ball, although still taking his share of walks. Fletcher has really impressed of late, but like Rengifo's overall game better.

Hold your horses on Adell, folks. I think "sooner than later" means 2020, not 2019. At most I think they promote him to AA for a few weeks at the end of the year. I think also they want to keep him paired with Marsh as much as possible, and Brandon is just holding his own. Not sure what is up with him, but he's been mediocre to bad for awhile now, going back to A ball.

But yeah, Adell is virtually a lock to be a plus player, very possible a true star. The 30-30 potential is there. What seems in question is whether he'll hit for a decent average or not and if he'll develop better plate discipline. I'd like to see his plate discipline take a step forward before they rush him to the majors.

If I'm comparing Rengifo and Fletcher, it's close. 

Arm: Fletcher

Glove: Fletcher

Range: Rengifo

IQ: Fletcher

Discipline: Rengifo

Power: Rengifo

Speed: Rengifo 

Floor: Fletcher

Upside: Rengifo

Likely Outcome:.....?

Fletcher is a better defender, flashing plus defensive abilities at 3B, SS and 2B. Rengifo is a passable SS though I hear he can turn clunky sometimes and is better suited for 2B. Can probably play 3B if pressed into it.

Fletcher is a smart base runner and a smart fielder, no mental lapses there, whereas Rengifo isn't necessarily prone to them but they do occur.

At the plate, Rengifo doesn't profile as a power hitter but he has more thunder than Fletcher. Rengifo is particularly adept at picking his spots to drive the ball, a skill he's showing that's beyond his years. Rengifo has a quick first couple steps but underway isn't blazing. Still, above average speed, though his SB efficiency leaves some to be desired.

If I'm comparing the two, basically it's like asking, who would you have have, Erick Aybar or David Eckstein? Rengifo isn't as gifted defensively as Aybar but he makes up for it with plate discipline.

For me, it's basically a tie. 

I can't choose between Aybar and Eckstein any more than I can choose between Fletcher and Rengifo. 

33 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Fletcher, Simba, Rengifo, and Thaiss = starting INF by mid-2019?

Cozart can either be an expensive super util INF, or traded by mid-2019 (eating part of salary)?

And that doesn’t include Ward. 

Fletcher doesn’t hit enough to be a starting 3B.  Likely, either Rengifo or Fletcher become the starting 2B, with the other being a utility player, trade bait, or Simba’s future replacement if he leaves as a free agent (not a preferred outcome but you never know).

Ward would be our future 3B in the above scenario.