• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Caught this earlier from the FG prospect chat. Does anyone know more about the change made to Deveaux's swing? A lot of folks were raving about his bat this spring, why would they tinker with his swing?

Jonathan: Two IFAs that you guys have mentioned a lot are Kristian Robinson (45+ on the preseason BOARD) and Trent Deveaux (40+ on the preseason BOARD).  It sounds like scouts have been excited by what they’ve seen so far this year in extended spring training.  How much separation is there between them at this point, in your opinion?
2:45
Eric A Longenhagen: I’ve been excited by what I’ve seen from each of them, though Deveaux’s swing has recently changed (I don’t know why) and he’s not comfortable with it yet so he’s kind of in a holding pattern for me. Still think they’re separated by about a half grade.

Jo Adell Continues Onslaught Through The Cal League

Yes!

“He’s slowing the game down, especially at the plate obviously,” Inland Empire manager Ryan Barba said. “He’s in good rhythm right now. He’s making good decisions, staying in his zone, and when he gets it in his zone he’s hitting it pretty good. It’s fun to watch.”

29 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Yeah, I saw that...not too worried. Now is the time to try things out, although hopefully he doesn’t become a chronic tinkerer like Darin Erstad, which kept him from being a more consistent hitter than he was. And hopefully he isn’t taking tips from Maitan.

Thirsty Ersty should have stuck with the 2000 swing. 

49 minutes ago, SoWhat said:

Caught this earlier from the FG prospect chat. Does anyone know more about the change made to Deveaux's swing? A lot of folks were raving about his bat this spring, why would they tinker with his swing?

Jonathan: Two IFAs that you guys have mentioned a lot are Kristian Robinson (45+ on the preseason BOARD) and Trent Deveaux (40+ on the preseason BOARD).  It sounds like scouts have been excited by what they’ve seen so far this year in extended spring training.  How much separation is there between them at this point, in your opinion?
2:45
Eric A Longenhagen: I’ve been excited by what I’ve seen from each of them, though Deveaux’s swing has recently changed (I don’t know why) and he’s not comfortable with it yet so he’s kind of in a holding pattern for me. Still think they’re separated by about a half grade.

Deveaux used to stand very upright with an open stance.  Almost like an old man softball league batting stance.  He's since squared up with the pitcher and bent his knees more, with less of a stride and more of a load. 

Maitan and Soto are the youngest on the Orem Owlz.  Good pitching staff with Rivera, Yan, Duensing and Swanda.  Also very excited to see what Orlando Martinez does.  He isn't coming over with much hype, but as I said, I talked to one scout who believes he's the best teenage bat to come out of Cuba in a few years. 

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Some weird shit going on early in the season there -- the league average ERA is over 4.50....     The average runs scored per game is at 5.98...

I wonder if a lot of the new complexes that have been built on the opposite side of the island are smaller fields.  Typically the league high in HR's is 10-15 across 60 games.  Right now the league leader is on pace for 24.

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

I wonder if a lot of the new complexes that have been built on the opposite side of the island are smaller fields.  Typically the league high in HR's is 10-15 across 60 games.  Right now the league leader is on pace for 24.

I was actually thinking the same thing.  Some of those old yards were big with no carry.  Also wonder if the Angels have advanced their talent to AZL and left the really young or less talented guys.  

Right now, Adell is doing what uber elite prospects do.  Making crazy adjustments game to game.  

When it starts, there are x number of pitches that get him out.  I don't know what Adell's number is but let's call it 6.  Low and away slider out of the zone.  High fastball up and in.  Change up away.  etc.  For certain guys who have the skill, that 6 turns to 5 and then to 4 and so on until the level he's at isn't helping him get better.  Then he moves up and there's 5 or 6 more that he's forced to adjust to.  At some point, maybe they find pitches he has trouble adjusting to and he levels off.  but no so far.   

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

I was actually thinking the same thing.  Some of those old yards were big with no carry.  Also wonder if the Angels have advanced their talent to AZL and left the really young or less talented guys.  

I think under the previous regime, the Angels played it ultra conservative and would have even their best Latin American talent frequently spend two years in the DSL, regardless of results. Ayendy Perez and Luis Jimenez come to mind.

I honestly didn't anticipate Uceta going to the DSL. I was under the impression that he opened some eyes this Spring and they'd just keep him stateside. So I was surprised to see his name there.

Just now, Scotty@AW said:

I think under the previous regime, the Angels played it ultra conservative and would have even their best Latin American talent frequently spend two years in the DSL, regardless of results. Ayendy Perez and Luis Jimenez come to mind.

I honestly didn't anticipate Uceta going to the DSL. I was under the impression that he opened some eyes this Spring and they'd just keep him stateside. So I was surprised to see his name there.

could also be a visa issue.  not an easy thing to navigate these days.  

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

could also be a visa issue.  not an easy thing to navigate these days.  

But if he was here in Spring, not sure it would present an issue. He's DHing in the Dominican, I don't see why he can't in Arizona.

The best guess I have is that it's his first time away from home, he might've been a little homesick, they sent him there to see his family, get a few games in and then head back stateside for the AZL.

I was also a little surprised they moved Orlando Martinez to Orem so quickly. I mean he is 20 and he lost his age 19 season leaving the island, but was the best hitter in the country at age 18. He only signed for 250k and I figured they'd let him get his feet wet in Arizona, but they must've liked what they saw and thought he was ready.

There isn't really any hype to him, but this scout was absolutely raving about him, so I'm curious to see what the fuss is about. 

He and Uceta are the guys I'm looking at as dark horses to break into the Top 30. In years past that wouldn't have been an issue, but since Eppler started doing his job, the top 30 actually means something now.