• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

11 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I was previously a bit underwhelmed by Thaiss and Scotty tried and failed to convince me that he was legit. I'm glad to be proven wrong - or at least it seems that way. I'm thinking his upside is that of a .290/.370/.530, 25 HR, 140 wRC+ hitter in the majors. Maybe .280/.350/.500 is more realistic, but I'll take it.

It really doesn't matter how much I do or don't try to convince anyone of anything. At the end of the day, people make their own conclusions, just as I do. To convince anyone that my conclusions are worth listening to more than their own probably speaks more about my arrogance than anything.

So..  about Maitan thickening up...    Anyone remember Miguel Sano when he signed?

Miguel-Sano.jpgpromoted-media-optimized_5510dcd2d1e4f.j

Seriously..... it's become a tad overkill IMO..    Part of why these guys are hyped when they are 16 is because they are expected to put on weight and gain strength.... you'd like to see them put on good weight but sometimes they get chubby before they get ripped.

I'm not the biggest Maitan fan, he'd be a trade chip for me over guys like Marsh et al.  But really the only thing that will ultimately matter is whether or not he hits.  If he does people will look at him as a future corner guy and call it a day.    Fix all that silly movement of his, get him to square balls and all anyone will talk about is how he hits the ball pretty well for a chubster...

Edited by Inside Pitch

3 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

So..  about Maitan thickening up...    Anyone remember Miguel Sano when he signed?

Miguel-Sano.jpgpromoted-media-optimized_5510dcd2d1e4f.j

Seriously..... it's become a tad overkill IMO..    Part of why these guys are hyped when they are 16 is because they are expected to put on weight and gain strength.... you'd like to see them put on good weight but sometimes they get chubby before they get ripped.

I'm not the biggest Maitan fan, he's be a trade chip for me over guys like Marsh et al.  But really the only thing that will ultimately matter is whether or not he hits.  If he does people will look at him as a future corner guy and call it a day.    Fix all that silly movement of his, get him to square balls and all anyone will talk about is how he hits the ball pretty well for a chubster...

Agreed. being in shape is nice, but hitting a baseball is more about hand eye, discipline, and mechanics. 

This isn't basketball or hockey where a guy whose body isn't cut up perfectly is at a huge disadvantage. 

I can’t imagine a situation, other than being a sumo wrestler or a linebacker, where extra fat doesn’t degrade athleticism. Yes, baseball isn’t basketball and you have fatties like Prince Fielder who can crush the ball, but does anyone doubt that Prince would’ve been better if he had been fitter?

The bottom line: being fit > being fat. This doesn’t mean Maitan can’t be really good with a bit extra, but that being fit will increase his chances of being good and his overall upside.

I think it'll be interesting to see what he looks like as 24 or 25.  

It isn't all genetics.  Some of it is, and some of it isn't.  A lot of it is nutrition and exercise.  Trout's dad is thicker, and we saw Trout was thick coming into Spring training at age 21-24.  He's since bulked up though and has remained in amazing shape.  But if Trout didn't eat healthier or be as committed to working out as he is, he'd be thick right now. 

Same with Pujols, who has kept himself quite fit considering the injuries and age.  Cabrera remained pretty thin until he started playing 1B, then he let himself get thicker.  He cut his weight down when he moved back to 3B but then put it back on which necessitated a move back across the diamond. 

Sano gradually got thicker, but in a good way through age 23.  But the last two years he's put on a ton of weight AND muscle.  Strong dude, but cardio isn't part of his regimen.  

With Maitan, I get the feeling he was going to get thicker regardless.  He didn't help the matter any with his nutrition and exercise with the Braves, but last year was the first time in his life that he struggled at baseball.  I think that serves as a wake up call.  It's hard to tell but he's already 15-20 lbs. lighter than last summer, and he'll likely remain on this program throughout his professional career.  He'll still continue to get thicker because that's typically what happens, but I don't picture MAitan blowing up like Sano has.  Probably more similar to Cabrera. 

And it didn't matter as long as he was hitting the ball. 

19 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Anyone would like the see the bottom guy race Pujols to first?  Who do you think would win?

I don't want to see Chris Christie running anything, ever.

But he'd squeak by Pujols in a foot race.