• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

Nice!  Jones is making some adjustments and starting to look better.  Congrats to Adell on his first hit in hi-A.  He seems to make adjustments quite quickly, so I'm sure after a little bit of time, he'll start tearing up hi-A.  I'm interested to see if he can manage to get himself promoted to AA at the tender age of 18.  

He's 19.

10 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Angels released RHP Vicente Campos.

Campos, 25, had posted a 7.04 ERA over 12 appearances between Double- and Triple-A. He made one appearance in the majors with the Diamondbacks in 2016.

Source: Baseball America

There was a time when he was being hailed as the next King Felix -- his body betrayed him in a pretty massive way over the years.   Could have been a good one.  

From Baseball America chat:

Matt (Los Angeles, CA): 

• How high do you think Jo Adell will climb this year in terms of both minor league level and in the top 100? He’s been displaying his prodigious power recently and was promoted to high A today.

Ben Badler: We have him at No. 43 right now and ticketed to move up in our next Top 100 update. He could be a top 25 guy soon, with the type of tools to be a top 10 type if he keeps hitting like this as he moves up.

Kevin (Ohio): 

• Luis Robert or Jo Adell? Which do you like more?

Ben Badler: Jo Adell

Just now, Warfarin said:

Blash sporting a 1.253 OPS in AAA...

Fernandez hits another HR, around an OPS of 1.000.

These guys could be making veritable contributions to the big league club.  Any day, guys...

Blash could if he could play MLB level defense or we didn’t already have Ohtani at DH. Let it go...

1 minute ago, Dick B Back said:

Blash could if he could play MLB level defense or we didn’t already have Ohtani at DH. Let it go...

I'd be down to see him play in RF and have Calhoun replace him for defensive purposes in the later innings.  It could be a possibility.

Just now, Warfarin said:

Blash sporting a 1.253 OPS in AAA...

Fernandez hits another HR, around an OPS of 1.000.

These guys could be making veritable contributions to the big league club.  Any day, guys...

In the next week or two, I would...

1) DFA Chris Young, send Hermosillo back to AAA for regular at-bats and to get some reps with Thaiss and Ward, and promote Blash, giving him 60/40 or 70/30 time split with Kole in RF for a couple weeks. If Blash swims, awesome, if he sinks, swap him back to AAA with Herm.

2) Phantom DL Kinsler if he's still struggling to give him a breather and rehab reboot or demote another pen arm and get Fernandez up for some ABs. 

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

In the next week or two, I would...

1) DFA Chris Young, send Hermosillo back to AAA for regular at-bats and to get some reps with Thaiss and Ward, and promote Blash, giving him 60/40 or 70/30 time split with Kole in RF for a couple weeks. If Blash swims, awesome, if he sinks, swap him back to AAA with Herm.

2) Phantom DL Kinsler if he's still struggling to give him a breather and rehab reboot or demote another pen arm and get Fernandez up for some ABs. 

Agree.  I'm annoyed at the way they are handling Hermosillo.  The dude needs ABs wherever he's at.  He's languishing on the bench currently.  That's no way to help cultivate a prospect's development.

6 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:
Matt Thaiss just dinged his first Triple-A home run with AAA Salt Lake - power surge is notable, going from .121 ISO and nine home runs last season, to .203 ISO and seven home runs in a quarter of the games this year #Angels

A testament to our coaches/development team.  Helping him alter his swing mechanics enough to generate more pop.  Obviously a 1B-only prospect that can't hit more than 10HRs isn't much of a prospect.  If we can get him to 15-20HR potential, combined with his strong bat-to-ball abilities, and we have ourselves a player.

That said, considering we are rolling out Valbuena and Pujols to start at 1B currently, Thaiss has a very low bar to exceed.. lol.

2 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I also see Brandon Belt. Maybe we can hope that Thaiss, like Belt, has a mid-career performance spike like Belt is having now.

Belt 2011-17: .268/.358/.461 

2018: .317/.416/.593

That would truly be a fantastic outcome.  I don't know if Thaiss can evolve into the defender that Belt is, though.  We'll see.

17 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I also see Brandon Belt. Maybe we can hope that Thaiss, like Belt, has a mid-career performance spike like Belt is having now.

Belt 2011-17: .268/.358/.461 

2018: .317/.416/.593

Belt is quite a lot better than his triple slash line indicates. Playing 110 games a year at At&T, Dodgers stadium, Petco

Look at his WRC+ and OPS+. He's been a upper tier hitter for a while

ANGELS
Prospect: LHP Jose Suarez
MLB Pipeline rank: No. 11/NA
Why you should keep an eye on him: Suarez began the season with Class A Advanced Inland Empire, but he's been so dominant that he's already climbed two levels and reached Triple-A Salt Lake. As of Tuesday, the 20-year-old left-hander led all Minor League pitchers with 69 strikeouts over 38 2/3 innings, giving him a 15.8 K/9 ratio on the season. Suarez, who mixes a low-90s fastball with a plus changeup and curveball, has a 2.79 ERA in nine starts between Inland Empire and Double-A Mobile. General manager Billy Eppler praised his advanced feel for pitching, especially with his secondary stuff.
ETA: Suarez could be a rotation option later this summer, if needed.

15 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

@taylorblakeward any info on Tyler Stevens and Oliver Ortega?

I thought Angels Win was the primary source for Angels minor league info... :P

Stevens is pretty much low/mid 90's with a big breaker and seems to have scrapped his changeup since he's a reliever, good control, I called him a 35/40 FV guy before the season

I haven't seen Ortega and haven't had someone bring him up to me so either a way under-the-radar guy that is creeping into some form past org pitcher, or just bland stuff that works well for the level

Just now, taylorblakeward said:

Stevens is pretty much low/mid 90's with a big breaker and seems to have scrapped his changeup since he's a reliever, good control, I called him a 35/40 FV guy before the season

I haven't seen Ortega and haven't had someone bring him up to me so either a way under-the-radar guy that is creeping into some form past org pitcher, or just bland stuff that works well for the level

Cool, thanks Taylor. Oh and we're just one of the sources for Angels minor league info. :) 

You do a great job and have a ton of info on guys we don't, so your insight is much appreciated to all of us here. 

5 minutes ago, taylorblakeward said:

What does FV stand for?