• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

6 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Unlike Calhoun, Kinsler and Valbuena aren’t historically atrocious, just garden variety bad. I would think the Angels would give Kinsler more time than Valbuena, given Kinsler’s career. I’m also guessing that Fernandez would adjust more quickly to the majors than Fletcher, but who knows.

I think Kinsler should be given more leeway because he's still a fine defender and a good base runner. But he's lifting the ball, and those are all clearly not traveling as far as they used to. But that's what happens when you play in a more pitcher friendly park and are 36. 

Kinsler has to make the adjustments because he's turned himself into a shell of a once good player.

Valbuena wasn't good last year, but the excuses were injury and unlucky. But this year he's just plain out of excuses. The power and OBP just aren't there. By contrast, Fernandez is getting on base and hits with enough power to keep the OF honest.

Calhoun has been inconsistent for a while now, and now he's just plain bad. He gets the benefit of the doubt because he's a great defender and the contract. But he's running out of time. Hermosillo is a very dynamic prospect. He might be a stud, but even if he ends up as a 4th OF, that's still better than Calhoun for a while. And Blash, that power is tantalizing. 

34 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Unlike Calhoun, Kinsler and Valbuena aren’t historically atrocious, just garden variety bad. I would think the Angels would give Kinsler more time than Valbuena, given Kinsler’s career. I’m also guessing that Fernandez would adjust more quickly to the majors than Fletcher, but who knows.

Based on the info we have -- Kinsler has struggled to hit even average FBs for almost a year..    They will give him more time because he's only played a little over 30 games, but he looks every bit as bad as the numbers say.

47 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Based on the info we have -- Kinsler has struggled to hit even average FBs for almost a year..    They will give him more time because he's only played a little over 30 games, but he looks every bit as bad as the numbers say.

What I imagine we will see if the veterans will probably play into July, and if they still aren’t performing, we could see some of the kids promoted and added to the roster and given some ABs.  If they respond well, we could either release their predecessor, or if not, at least know that we have found their replacements for next year.

40 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

What I imagine we will see if the veterans will probably play into July, and if they still aren’t performing, we could see some of the kids promoted and added to the roster and given some ABs.  If they respond well, we could either release their predecessor, or if not, at least know that we have found their replacements for next year.

Waiting until July may knock us out of contention.  At least replace Valbueno and Young.

Traditionally during Eppler's tenure they have started bouncing struggling players in very late May and usually June. 

Patience guys, we're still in the race, we have intriguing depth options in minors, and Eppler has shown he'll make necessary changes. The recent promotions, including Briceno, and the  Schimpf and Carter transactions further that things are coming.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Traditionally during Eppler's tenure they have started bouncing struggling players in very late May and usually June. 

Patience guys, we're still in the race, we have intriguing depth options in minors, and Eppler has shown he'll make necessary changes. The recent promotions, including Briceno, and the  Schimpf and Carter transactions further that things are coming.

Agreed.  I think part of the aggressive movement we have seen too is to help accelerate our overall timeline.  Our prospects are responding well, so we might as well promote them and push everyone up a level.  I do hope you are right - I would love to see some of the AAA guys who are playing well get a shot.  Even if they struggle a bit, at least we'd be testing them and seeing if they are part of the equation of the future.

Anyone have a scouting report / insight on Tyler Stevens?  2017 draft pick, seems to be generating some pretty nice stats in relief (10+ K/9, sub-2 BB/9, WHIP around 1).  Just promoted to Mobile and had a nice debut today (2IP, 1H, 0BB, 4Ks).  Someone that could possibly be fast-tracked to help our pen?

Just now, TroutField said:

IE has a damn exciting team.. Adell, Marsh, Canning, Suarez, Jones, I’m sure I’m missing someone but damn that’s a lot of talent. 

Actually Suarez was promoted to AAA, and was playing for Mobile Double-A. Canning was promoted to Double-A after two starts.

33 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Someone said it already but Jones, Adell and Marsh batting 1-2-3 will be incredibly exciting.

Nice!  Jones is making some adjustments and starting to look better.  Congrats to Adell on his first hit in hi-A.  He seems to make adjustments quite quickly, so I'm sure after a little bit of time, he'll start tearing up hi-A.  I'm interested to see if he can manage to get himself promoted to AA at the tender age of 18.  

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Anyone have a scouting report / insight on Tyler Stevens?  2017 draft pick, seems to be generating some pretty nice stats in relief (10+ K/9, sub-2 BB/9, WHIP around 1).  Just promoted to Mobile and had a nice debut today (2IP, 1H, 0BB, 4Ks).  Someone that could possibly be fast-tracked to help our pen?

I have the same question regarding Oliver Ortega.  I don't believe he pitched last year but has two starts at Burlington this year with no runs allowed.  WHIP of 0.44.

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I don't have anything on his stuff, would obviously need to know that, as Cam had me fooled in the minors too. But, if the stuff backs up the results (especially if he has command/control like the walk rate suggests, rather than just facing milb batters that haven't developed feel for zone yet), I say screw it give it a try. Remember that Royals kid in 2014 or 2015? Not saying this is the same, that kid pitched in college world series and MLB world series in same year. You never know. 

4 minutes ago, 101halo said:

I don't have anything on his stuff, would obviously need to know that, as Cam had me fooled in the minors too. But, if the stuff backs up the results (especially if he has command/control like the walk rate suggests, rather than just facing milb batters that haven't developed feel for zone yet), I say screw it give it a try. Remember that Royals kid in 2014 or 2015? Not saying this is the same, that kid pitched in college world series and MLB world series in same year. You never know. 

Yeah, it's hard to say without a veritable scouting report.  At this point though, we basically can't leave any stone unturned in our quest to formulate a decent pen, so I'm all for finding random diamonds in the rough.

Anderson has been a pleasant surprise and he came out of nowhere.  He still has to refine his stuff, but if we can find more guys like him, then perhaps we can start to push out people like Cam, etc.

17 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Yeah, it's hard to say without a veritable scouting report.  At this point though, we basically can't leave any stone unturned in our quest to formulate a decent pen, so I'm all for finding random diamonds in the rough.

Anderson has been a pleasant surprise and he came out of nowhere.  He still has to refine his stuff, but if we can find more guys like him, then perhaps we can start to push out people like Cam, etc.

Literally can't find anything about his arsenal, tried again. Just that he's a big dude who does place emphasis on command. Did find a good bio from NM Lobos, with some fun quotes:

Tyler Stevens bio

"… enjoys fly fishing and biking in his spare time… loves to eat chicken alfredo …" 

Will fit in with Trout's interests, and what was I saying two days ago about our first base coach and why he still is in Scioscia's favor? Tyler also taking the smart pasta approach. 

7 minutes ago, John Smith said:

Thanks! I saw that one, and appreciate the perspective. The one thing it lacks is any specificity on his pitches. Calls them overpowering, but what does he have? Is it all fastball velocity? We've seen that from Cam, worked in minors, not so much here. Does he have a great curve he can throw for a strike that keeps hitters guessing? No idea. I really don't know, so hoping somebody (paging Scotty or Doc!) can.