• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Yes, I hope that is what is going on. Eventually they will have a surplus in the outfield and middle infield and can trade secondary prospects to fill holes: possibly a long-term catcher and, of course, pitching (they have a lot, but can always use more).

Here are the long-term options at each position, that I see being possible long-term starting options:

Ca: None

1B: Thaiss

2B: Fernandez, Rengifo, Jones

SS: Simmons, Fletcher, Rivas

3B: Cozart, Ward, Maitan

LF: Upton, Adell

CF: Trout, Deveaux

RF: Hermosillo, Marsh

There are other players who could turn out to be major league regulars (Rojas, Walsh, Houchins, Hunter, Sandoval, etc), but those are the ones who seem to have a significant chance. The big hole is catcher, with almost everywhere else having a surplus (except 1B...but we could slot Fernandez and possibly Maitan in there).

So what I see happening is that unless the Angels draft a legit catching prospect, they will trade some of that IF and/or OF surplus for a long-term solution. But with Maldy in the fold, that doesn't need to happen in the next year or two. I'd rather see Eppler hold as many as these cards in his hand as long as he can, without going full on Stoneman.

Seriously pumped about that depth.  I think Fernandez might be more of a 1B/3B type a la Valbuena as opposed to a 2B, as I think Fletcher slides over to 2B possibly too, but that's certainly some nice positional depth/versatility.

Entering the season, we knew we were stocked with OF talent, but the infield depth has been quite a pleasant surprise.  Entering the season, we had Thaiss, Maitan, and Rivas.  Now, thanks to some positional switches and some other emergences, we have all of the above guys you referenced.  

Catching is the one area we have nothing to speak of.  As much as people don't like the Dodgers, I do think they're a team we should consider dealing with, as they do seem to have a ton of catching talent in the pipeline and obviously can't play all of them.  Perhaps a prospect for prospect type of trade, even.

Looks like I'll have to update my three year expectations.

C Maldonado

1B Pujols/Fernandez

2B Fernandez/Fletcher

SS Simmons

3B Cozart/Fernandez 

LF Upton

CF Trout

RF Hermosillo 

DH Ohtani/Pujols

C Maldonado

1B Upton/Thaiss 

2B Jahmai Jones

SS Simmons

3B Cozart

LF Adell

CF Trout

RF Marsh

DH Ohtani/Upton

C Maldonado

1B Upton/Thaiss

2B Jones/Fletcher

SS Simmons

3B Ward

LF Adell

CF Trout

RF Marsh

DH Ohtani/Upton

C Someone else

1B Upton/Thaiss

2B Jahmai Jones

SS Simmons

3B Kevin Maitan 

LF Adell

CF Trout

RF Marsh

DH Ohtani/Upton

4 hours ago, SoWhat said:

Looks like I'll be visiting San Bernardino a whole lot more now. 

They will be in Rancho on Friday night. I may find a way to go or at least one of the weekend games. 

Even @Lou should be able to make this trip. Unless he has some cousin playing violin or something. 

Edited by Blarg

7 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Oh wow, Chris Carter released.  Well, not much of a surprise.  Considering Marte has been performing well enough in the MLB and we have Pujols also "anchoring" 1B, probably no real room for him.  Best of luck to him.

He was traded, not released. 

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

It was good to see Fernandez back in the lineup. If he stays healthy and keeps hitting, and the Angels offense keeps scuffling, that promotion should come in the next couple weeks.

Offensively, just from the numbers I've seen through baseball reference, he seems ideal for either 2B (Release Kinsler), 3B (release Kinsler and move Cozart over to 2B), or 1B (release Valbuena) or variations of these.  He walks more than he K's, and has power - what are the concerns about him being promoted at this point?  He's clearly mastered the minor leagues and the Angels signed him for a reason, any idea, apart from letting Kinsler's and Valbuena's time on the roster run it's course, what might be holding up a promotion? 

15 minutes ago, True Grich said:

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/toolshed-getting-aggressive-on-farm/c-277950300?tcid=tw_article_277950300

Toolshed: Getting aggressive on the farm

Angels, Braves, Yanks pushing prospects quickly to begin 2018

From the article: The Angels finally have a system worth boasting about -- and that's even after the graduation of Shohei Ohtani -- and they seem to trust this group enough to really test its talents early in 2018.

1 hour ago, mulwin444 said:

Offensively, just from the numbers I've seen through baseball reference, he seems ideal for either 2B (Release Kinsler), 3B (release Kinsler and move Cozart over to 2B), or 1B (release Valbuena) or variations of these.  He walks more than he K's, and has power - what are the concerns about him being promoted at this point?  He's clearly mastered the minor leagues and the Angels signed him for a reason, any idea, apart from letting Kinsler's and Valbuena's time on the roster run it's course, what might be holding up a promotion? 

I think the team simply wants to give the guys currently on the roster a shot to correct their course before replacing them. 

We have the personnel to replace Kinsler, Valbuena and Calhoun with Fletcher, Fernandez and Hermosillo, or even Blash, but those are all MLB Veterans. I can't fault the team for giving those guys until the end of May (two full months) to figure it out.

Being the prospect-minded fan that I am, I think we all know where I sit on the issue.

1 hour ago, True Grich said:

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/toolshed-getting-aggressive-on-farm/c-277950300?tcid=tw_article_277950300

Toolshed: Getting aggressive on the farm

Angels, Braves, Yanks pushing prospects quickly to begin 2018

This article is pretty awesome to read, and he even says he was inspired to write it by the Angels’ recent promotions.  They have been really aggressive this year, which gives me hope that this youth wave will be ready sooner than later.