• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Goddamn this regime has no qualms about being aggressive with promoting their prospects. I like it.

Also, for the person wondering why Canning didn't pitch, here's your answer

Wonder if they're managing his innings with the thought that he'll be contributing at the MLB level(out of the pen) later in the year?

With all these aggressive pushes for prospects, I wonder if this indicates something about the draft. By clearing out plenty of space in Burlington, they could aggressively push some of their top picks in the draft or some of their top players coming over from the DSL who are presently on the AZL roster. Let's say they draft a college pitcher or two in the 1st and 2nd round, they could easily move that player onto Burlington after a few starts in Orem so that next year they would be set to get to IE and maybe even up to AA. It all depends on who falls to us at 17, but there are several college arms projected to still be available who could move through a system quickly available to us at our 17th pick. And, we have some other guys who could move quickly through Orem like J. Rivera or C. Rodriguez (if they get healthy).

22 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

With all these aggressive pushes for prospects, I wonder if this indicates something about the draft. By clearing out plenty of space in Burlington, they could aggressively push some of their top picks in the draft or some of their top players coming over from the DSL who are presently on the AZL roster. Let's say they draft a college pitcher or two in the 1st and 2nd round, they could easily move that player onto Burlington after a few starts in Orem so that next year they would be set to get to IE and maybe even up to AA. It all depends on who falls to us at 17, but there are several college arms projected to still be available who could move through a system quickly available to us at our 17th pick. And, we have some other guys who could move quickly through Orem like J. Rivera or C. Rodriguez (if they get healthy).

Was thinking about Deveaux in that same context. I assume he's going to start in AZL or Orem still, but there's nothing keeping him there for long if he excels.

1 minute ago, eaterfan said:

Was thinking about Deveaux in that same context. I assume he's going to start in AZL or Orem still, but there's nothing keeping him there for long if he excels.

Yeah.  I think he's only.. 17 years old?  Super young.. I think he'll stay in AZL/Orem this season, although with how aggressively we are promoting guys, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Anaheim for our postseason run.. :P

Still thinking about the meteoric rise of Suarez.  He split 2017 between a Rookie league and low-A.  So he has literally blown through multiple levels in less than 2 months, while posting a K/9 of 18 (!) and 15.47.

His WHIP in Mobile was high (1.42), but he was getting seriously BABIP'd (0.500!).  His FIP in AA was an absurd 0.83.

Will have to keep in mind that he'll now been pitching in a hitter's paradise, so will definitely be interesting to see how he responds.  I think there's a pretty decent chance we see him in Anaheim by September.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

@Dochalo  Looks like MacKinnon is among the people being moved up a level.

.@66ersBaseball roster moves 5/22: OF Brandon Sandoval, INF Luis Rengifo, INF Jared Walsh and RHP Tyler Stevens all transferred to Double-A Mobile. INF Richie Fecteau activated from Disabled List. INF David MacKinnon and OF Jo Adell transferred from Low-A Burlington.

If Rengifo continues leading off like a beast, stealing bases, all of the above.... He and Fletcher may have to arm wrestle for the starting 2B job in 2019. 

Suarez definitely following in Jaime Barria's footsteps. I love Jose's mechanics. Beautiful delivery. Very deceptive, which really lets his pitches play up. He really doesn't have the stuff to be a strikeout pitcher in the major leagues, so I'll be curious to see how he manages to get outs at the highest levels.

Since we released Schimpf, I believe that opens up a spot on our 40 man roster.  And there are still plenty of other places we can trim some of that fat.  Chris Young, Nolan Fontana, Jose Briceno, Blake Wood to the 60 Day DL, Miguel Almonte.

We have a ton of dead weight on our 40 man roster.  Normally I'd say that's a bad thing, but I suppose looking on the bright side, it gives us a ton of freedom and flexibility.

11 minutes ago, John Smith said:

Best of luck to Chris Carter and Ryan Schimpf, as they move on from the Bees. Carter was traded to the Twins and will report to Rochester. Schimpf is being put on unconditional release waivers.

Oh wow, Chris Carter released.  Well, not much of a surprise.  Considering Marte has been performing well enough in the MLB and we have Pujols also "anchoring" 1B, probably no real room for him.  Best of luck to him.

With the aggressive promotions, I think there's another vision starting to emerge for the Angels. They obviously went into the offseason with the intent to win now, leading one to think they'd continue pushing down that road in the Trout years, possibly dealing away one or two of these guys. Could still happen.

But now, these promotions really start to reinforce the idea that the Angels are really going to bank on the current prospects instead. They're going to get these guys into the big leagues quickly (see the Braves) and around Upton, Trout, Simmons. We're seeing the long expected 'post-Trout' Angels become...the Angels.

Yes, I hope that is what is going on. Eventually they will have a surplus in the outfield and middle infield and can trade secondary prospects to fill holes: possibly a long-term catcher and, of course, pitching (they have a lot, but can always use more).

Here are the long-term options at each position, that I see being possible long-term starting options:

Ca: None

1B: Thaiss

2B: Fernandez, Rengifo, Jones

SS: Simmons, Fletcher, Rivas

3B: Cozart, Ward, Maitan

LF: Upton, Adell

CF: Trout, Deveaux

RF: Hermosillo, Marsh

There are other players who could turn out to be major league regulars (Rojas, Walsh, Houchins, Hunter, Sandoval, etc), but those are the ones who seem to have a significant chance. The big hole is catcher, with almost everywhere else having a surplus (except 1B...but we could slot Fernandez and possibly Maitan in there).

So what I see happening is that unless the Angels draft a legit catching prospect, they will trade some of that IF and/or OF surplus for a long-term solution. But with Maldy in the fold, that doesn't need to happen in the next year or two. I'd rather see Eppler hold as many as these cards in his hand as long as he can, without going full on Stoneman.

6 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Good test for Torii Jr. now.

He pretty much stands alone now in Burlington as the run producer. If he can keep it up without any other real offense around him, he may be off to IE before long as well, and starting to compete with folks his age, which will be another big test.

2/4 in the first game of a DH.