• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

What's cool about seeing so many of our prospects take these kinds of developmental leaps is that it provides reassurance that our time is very close.  Even when I see us lose 5 straight as we did now, I have faith that the future is very bright, and even if we encounter some blips in the radar like those games, we're still in great shape overall.  That's what a burgeoning farm system does for us fans - gives us hope that even if the MLB team is struggling, that our future is still looking really, really good.  

3 minutes ago, Dick B Back said:

So I’m guessing the starters would be Thaiss, Fernandez, Fletcher, Ward?

That’s a lot of leftover pieces. How many players on a AAA roster?

One of them (Carter?) would probably get regular ABs at DH.  As mentioned above, I think JMF is nursing a minor injury, so that creates some space.  Thasis, Fletcher, and Ward are guaranteed to play most of the time.  Cowart, while primarily an INFer, might be spending a good chunk of time in the OF right now to gain reps and become more comfortable.  Hopefully, that'll help them juggle playing time so that everyone is adequately covered.

Still, it does seem like one promotion might be imminent, especially once JMF recovers.

2 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

What's cool about seeing so many of our prospects take these kinds of developmental leaps is that it provides reassurance that our time is very close.  Even when I see us lose 5 straight as we did now, I have faith that the future is very bright, and even if we encounter some blips in the radar like those games, we're still in great shape overall.  That's what a burgeoning farm system does for us fans - gives us hope that even if the MLB team is struggling, that our future is still looking really, really good.  

The farm is why I'm not sweating whatever happens this year.   They are trending in the right direction and ahead of where I thought they would be as an organization.   The Kinsler, Calhoun and even AP situation can be resolved in house....  they just need to actually decide to do it.

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

The farm is why I'm not sweating whatever happens this year.   They are trending in the right direction and ahead of where I thought they would be as an organization.   The Kinsler, Calhoun and even AP situation can be resolved in house....  they just need to actually decide to do it.

Yup, for sure man.  Valbuena can likely be easily replaced by JMF (1B who backs up 3B too) and Kinsler can likely be easily replaced by Fletcher.  Calhoun.. I don't know, I hope he can figure things out, but we have some intriguing options (Hermosillo, Blash, etc) who can take over as needed.

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

We'd be relegated to trading for the Ghost of AGon from the Braves, as he's on the Mets now. :)

I listed the Mets as an option too, because presumably if they'd be interested in Bautista, then Valbuena could have some CIF interest...

But AGon would be no better fit for the Halos than Valbuena is, and I forget the Mets are paying him minimum, so it wouldn't be a dead money swap, so moot.

12 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I listed the Mets as an option too, because presumably if they'd be interested in Bautista, then Valbuena could have some CIF interest...

But AGon would be no better fit for the Halos than Valbuena is, and I forget the Mets are paying him minimum, so it wouldn't be a dead money swap, so moot.

Likely Valbuena has no trade value to speak of.  I am guessing we hang onto Kinsler, Valbuena, etc and just try to ride it out.  If they are still unproductive come July-ish, then it's possible we just release them and move on, since they are basically playing on expiring contracts.  Before that happens though, I imagine we'd call up their possible replacements to give them some MLB ABs and see how they adjust.  Can't really imagine we'd release MLB players without at least testing their replacements.

2 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Warfarin, we really need to retrain you to spell Thaiss correctly.

speaking of Thaiss, I don’t know why we need him when we have a Hall of Famer manning for first for years to come.

THICE

3 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

One more promotion:  Rengifo appears to have been promoted to Mobile!

EDIT:  also looks like Walsh and Sandoval being promoted along with him, too.

They're really starting to usher in a youth movement. A bulk of the Top 30 will be on the verge of big league exposure by end of next summer.

2 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

One more promotion:  Rengifo appears to have been promoted to Mobile!

EDIT:  also looks like Walsh and Sandoval being promoted along with him, too.

I expected Walsh and Sandoval to be promoted -- with Ryan Vega starting to play in High A, we now have three of our more athletic OFers there -- it wouldn't surprise me to see someone sent down to Low A, or yet another move up to Mobile.   AAA is gonna be interesting -- you gotta figure some guys may be seeing their playtime greatly diminished.

Also very curious if the Cowart super sub expirment kicks into overdrive now.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

They're really starting to usher in a youth movement. A bulk of the Top 30 will be on the verge of big league exposure by end of next summer.

I can’t remember the last time I have been this excited about our prospects.  We are really developing them well under Eppler.  It’s really a lot of fun seeing so many guys playing well and being thusly promoted.

I have to imagine guys like Fletcher and Fernandez are really close to getting MLB time if folks continue to struggle too.

Sandoval may follow in Rojas' footsteps as a nice prospect surprise. Guys like them - and Houchins and Walsh - are valuable because they may be the pieces that land you relievers or helpful bench assets at the deadline without really dinging the future.

@Dochalo  Looks like MacKinnon is among the people being moved up a level.

.@66ersBaseball roster moves 5/22: OF Brandon Sandoval, INF Luis Rengifo, INF Jared Walsh and RHP Tyler Stevens all transferred to Double-A Mobile. INF Richie Fecteau activated from Disabled List. INF David MacKinnon and OF Jo Adell transferred from Low-A Burlington.