• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Adell's last 9 games

AB 34 Avg .382 HR 5 2B 4 OBP .432 SLG .864 BB-K 4-6

For comparison it took Trout 200 AB in Single-A before hitting his 6th home run, and he wouldn't hit a 7th over his final 112 AB's. Adell hit his 6th in less than half of the AB, 95. Adell is in his age 19 season, while Trout was in his age 18 season. Only 4 months separates them though. Trout was obviously more advanced in basically every other category, but power wise Adell is a step ahead of him. 

AB 312 Avg .362 HR 6 2B 19 3B 7 OBP .454 SLG .526 BB-K 46-52 (Trout)
AB 95 Avg .326 HR 6 2B 7 3B 1 OBP .398 SLG .611 BB-K 11-26 (Adell)

13 minutes ago, vladdy#27 said:

Adell's last 9 games

AB 34 Avg .382 HR 5 2B 4 OBP .432 SLG .864 BB-K 4-6

For comparison it took Trout 200 AB in Single-A before hitting his 6th home run, and he wouldn't hit a 7th over his final 112 AB's. Adell hit his 6th in less than half of the AB, 95. Adell is in his age 19 season, while Trout was in his age 18 season. Only 4 months separates them though. Trout was obviously more advanced in basically every other category, but power wise Adell is a step ahead of him. 

AB 312 Avg .362 HR 6 2B 19 3B 7 OBP .454 SLG .526 BB-K 46-52 (Trout)
AB 95 Avg .326 HR 6 2B 7 3B 1 OBP .398 SLG .611 BB-K 11-26 (Adell)

I remember Buxton getting a ton of comps with Trout when he was in A Ball.  There have been a few players who have outperformed Trout in A ball actually, obviously none of them ever reached his level, but it's a fun measuring stick.  The longer the Angels keep Adell in A ball, the more frequent those comps will be made.

I do remember watching Mike play on MiLB.tv when he was with Cedar Rapids.  There was just a completely different "feel" to watching him vs. others.  I don't know what it was, maybe the mannerisms, but you just sort of knew that he was going to be something so great.  He'd hit a routine two-hopper to shortstop and beat the throw to first, steal second, steal third and then score on a roundball with the infield in, and it didn't seem like a big deal to him.  Then the next inning he'd run a ball down in the gap that no one else would've had a prayer at.  Then the next at bat he'd drill one over the wall.  And as the season wore on, you'd see a lot of pitchers just walk him, and not even make you think they were pitching to him.  And if they had to pitch to him, there was a tension in the air, like they knew something was about to happen.

I've watched Adell so far, and he's definitely on a different level talent wise than those around him.  He's faster, more graceful and can put a charge into the ball.  He's probably faster underway than Trout was, though not quite as fast at 90 feet, though certainly fast.  He hits the ball further than Mike did at age 18, but as we all know, Trout hadn't even begun to develop his power yet.  That didn't happen until 20.  Adele's pretty comparable to Trout in the OF at the same stage in their careers.  Trout had a quicker first step and better route, but Adell has the better arm.  Both probably have no issues robbing a HR, though I never saw Trout do that until the majors.  

But there isn't the same electricity Trout had, where you were seeing an inner-circle hall of famer.  More like you're seeing a superstar just starting his journey.  Same with Marsh.  Not at Trout's level, and not even at Adell's level, but you can deinfitely tell he's a future major leaguer and considerably more talented than everyone else on the field not named Adell. 

15 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Also, I wasn't watching, but Jose Miguel Fernandez was pulled after just one AB.  Anyone know what's up?

someone tweeted that gameday said it was an injury delay but I'm not sure how accurate gameday is with those situations

It remains to be seen whether Adell and Marsh are going to be borderline stars like Hunter and Upton (3-5ish WAR), or whether they will be true stars (5+ WAR). When you look at prospects like Vlad Jr or Acuna or Juan Soto, it is hard imagining them being less than superstars - they just look that good. I don't quite get that feeling from Adell and Marsh, although they still could be that good. Adell probably has the higher upside, but I think a lot depends upon how much he masters the strike zone, and if he turns his raw abilities into honed skills. With players like Vlad Jr and Soto, you see highly refined skills already - which is incredible, considering their age. Adell seems more raw, and Marsh not quite as talented. No knock on them, but looking at Soto/Vlad/Acuna tempers my expectations on our guys a bit.

9 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

It remains to be seen whether Adell and Marsh are going to be borderline stars like Hunter and Upton (3-5ish WAR), or whether they will be true stars (5+ WAR). When you look at prospects like Vlad Jr or Acuna or Juan Soto, it is hard imagining them being less than superstars - they just look that good. I don't quite get that feeling from Adell and Marsh, although they still could be that good. Adell probably has the higher upside, but I think a lot depends upon how much he masters the strike zone, and if he turns his raw abilities into honed skills. With players like Vlad Jr and Soto, you see highly refined skills already - which is incredible, considering their age. Adell seems more raw, and Marsh not quite as talented. No knock on them, but looking at Soto/Vlad/Acuna tempers my expectations on our guys a bit.

A fresh, tempered take which is appreciated.  Given that we have the best player in baseball (Trout) and probably a top-5 player in the game given his skillset (Ohtani), I'll be okay with a few more borderline stars.  I mean obviously I hope Adell and Marsh become superstars, but even if they fall short of that, having two more 3-5 WAR guys to go along with an 8+ WAR guy (Trout) and a likely combined 5+ WAR guy (Ohtani) will be awesome.

23 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

That's pretty much everyone's take isn't it?

Juan Soto, Vlad Jr., and Ronald Acuna are/were the top three prospects in baseball.  While Adell is good, he's more 40-50, and Marsh in that 75-100 range.  

3 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

That's pretty much everyone's take isn't it?

Juan Soto, Vlad Jr., and Ronald Acuna are/were the top three prospects in baseball.  While Adell is good, he's more 40-50, and Marsh in that 75-100 range.  

Vlad Jr. and Acuna, and to a lesser extent Soto, are also a year ahead of Adell in terms of their development, in that they had their coming out party last year, when people realized that they're elite prospects. I think for Adell that's going to be this year and I could see him getting top 10 consideration this time next year if he's still hitting in AA. 

How good is Luis Rengifo? After a 4-5 night his line

Avg .323 HR 2 2B 11 3B 3 OBP .426 SLG .466 SB-CS 22-8 BB-K 27-22

His numbers are way up versus anything he has done in the minors before, outside of one season in the DSL. His walk rate has doubled from last year, while his K rate has dropped. Is he a more well rounded Leo Rivas? Not as good patience, but with more power/contact and less strikeouts. Where would he rank in an updated top 30 prospect list? None the less so far seems like a pretty good return for Cron, possibly a guy who could turn into a major league option as early as next season.

33 minutes ago, vladdy#27 said:

His numbers are way up versus anything he has done in the minors before, outside of one season in the DSL. His walk rate has doubled from last year, while his K rate has dropped. Is he a more well rounded Leo Rivas? Not as good patience, but with more power/contact and less strikeouts. Where would he rank in an updated top 30 prospect list? None the less so far seems like a pretty good return for Cron, possibly a guy who could turn into a major league option as early as next season.

He needs to be added to the 40-man roster this offseason to protect him from the rule V draft.  I can see him spending half this year in AA, then getting added to the 40-man roster this offseason.  Next year he'll probably split time between AA/AAA, and depending on how he develops, might be a September call-up option for us.

Not sure how he projects overall, the but the BB/K ratio is promising, as is speed he is showing.  Not sure how he projects defensively.

47 minutes ago, vladdy#27 said:

Rengifo > Cron 

I think it's safe to say that Rengifo has surpassed Rivas by quite a bit on our top of the order, middle infield prospect list. 

36 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Adell's home-run today

"And Jo Adell he's gonna be a good one folks... Watch out for him."

The first time I watched that I almost took the Lord's name in vain.

The bat speed, the power. That ball was destroyed. That's a 19 year old kid. What's it going to look like at 24? 

My goodness.

9 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Rengifo > Cron 

I think it's safe to say that Rengifo has surpassed Rivas by quite a bit on our top of the order, middle infield prospect list. 

I agree.  Even though Cron is hitting well, middle infielders >>> 1B/DH types in terms of value.

From what I have read, Rengifo is considered fringy at SS but solid at 2B.  With the emergence of both Fletcher and Rengifo, I feel pretty good about 2B moving forward.  Could save some $$ next year and roll with Fletcher, and if Fletch doesn't pan out as we hope, Rengifo could be an option by late 2019.

15 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

lol no

Which part made you disagree and laugh out loud?

@Warfarin pretty much nailed the Cron comparison, but if you're disagreeing with Rivas vs. Rengifo you're wrong again. 

Pretty much Rivas is a weak contact middle infielder that gets on base via the walk, but both his power and stolen bases are below average. I'm seeing a Reggie Willits type at best..

4 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Rivas will be better than Rengifo

They're both the same age and Rengifo is playing at a higher level and doing extremely well, pushing the envelope for a Double-A promotion. 

Same on base skills, harder contact, better contact that will generate more extra base hits and HR, faster, smarter baserunner. 

He'll end up at 2B because of Simmons, but he's creating some buzz with his overall game. 

Adell's swing is very Torii like.  damn.  But i agree it's more like torii when he was 27.   Torii didn't have the power or discipline that Adell has nor did he have the contact ability.  

We have to remember that Adell was supposed to be a super raw project.  One of two things are going to happen.  He's either going to push past everyone at every level and be in the majors by age 20 (next year) or, his lack of experience will come through when his athleticism can't get him to the next level.  

The truly elite prospects get to AA at a young age and just blow through it.  That doesn't mean they end up a superstar or that those who just progress through AA can't be either.  

There are plenty of superstar level guys that don't turn a corner at 19.  Betts didn't.  Trout did.  Vlad jr has.  Harper didn't but got called up anyway.  Machado didn't but got the call at 19 as well.  Lindor didn't.  JUp did.  

A really good major league comp for Adell (in my opinion) is George Springer.  Because Springer went to college, he didn't get to the majors as quickly, but the raw speed and power with tremendous athleticism is right there.  Another guy is Lorenzo Cain although I think Adell has much more raw power.  

Don't be surprised is Adell plateau's a bit in AA and then turns a corner at 22.  I have higher hopes than that, but even if that happens, I still think he can be a superstar.  

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

Adell's swing is very Torii like.  damn.  But i agree it's more like torii when he was 27.   Torii didn't have the power or discipline that Adell has nor did he have the contact ability.  

We have to remember that Adell was supposed to be a super raw project.  One of two things are going to happen.  He's either going to push past everyone at every level and be in the majors by age 20 (next year) or, his lack of experience will come through when his athleticism can't get him to the next level.  

The truly elite prospects get to AA at a young age and just blow through it.  That doesn't mean they end up a superstar or that those who just progress through AA can't be either.  

There are plenty of superstar level guys that don't turn a corner at 19.  Betts didn't.  Trout did.  Vlad jr has.  Harper didn't but got called up anyway.  Machado didn't but got the call at 19 as well.  Lindor didn't.  JUp did.  

A really good major league comp for Adell (in my opinion) is George Springer.  Because Springer went to college, he didn't get to the majors as quickly, but the raw speed and power with tremendous athleticism is right there.  Another guy is Lorenzo Cain although I think Adell has much more raw power.  

Don't be surprised is Adell plateau's a bit in AA and then turns a corner at 22.  I have higher hopes than that, but even if that happens, I still think he can be a superstar.  

Good post. Totally agree.

7 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

They're both the same age and Rengifo is playing at a higher level and doing extremely well, pushing the envelope for a Double-A promotion. 

Same on base skills, harder contact, better contact that will generate more extra base hits and HR, faster, smarter baserunner. 

He'll end up at 2B because of Simmons, but he's creating some buzz with his overall game. 

Rivas is almost a full year younger and has a much better idea of the strike zone, imo

"Rengifo is considered fringy at SS"  I will agree with this statement. Have not seen him at 2nd, but ss does not look like his natural position.  Fletcher is a better defensive ss than Rengifo.

Saw him hit a double and was surprised it went over the right fielders head. He has more power than I thought.