• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

13 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Definitely a Torii-esque swing there. I think Torii is a great comp for Adell. 25+ HR power, 20+ SB ability. Incredible range and glove.

Would be awesome if he can live up to that potential.  Considering his timeline is probably around 3 years or so, there is the possibility we might see Trout moved over to LF if his range declines a bit in favor of a rangier, faster Adell.  

On 5/18/2018 at 1:52 PM, Lou said:

Are the Sixers at home this weekend? I've been promising to hook up with a buddy for a game for a while now. Looking forward to seeing Marsh play. 

@Lou  

46d0004cf5e15addf48949522002dae2.gif

Bought tickets for tonight but my wife would be more than glad to stay home as long as she gets the giveaway hat. 

Edited by Blarg

I know people like to be modest in their predictions, and that Torii Hunter and Justin Upton are fine players, but I think Adell can be better. Hunter and Upton were/are the definition of "borderline star" - a player who is above average, but not by much and not a true star. They might have star caliber seasons, but their typical year is in the 2-4ish WAR range, not the 5+ of a true star. 

Nothing wrong with that, but when you're talking about a 19-year old top prospect, I can't help but dream of more.

12 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I know people like to be modest in their predictions, and that Torii Hunter and Justin Upton are fine players, but I think Adell can be better. Hunter and Upton were/are the definition of "borderline star" - a player who is above average, but not by much and not a true star. They might have star caliber seasons, but their typical year is in the 2-4ish WAR range, not the 5+ of a true star. 

Nothing wrong with that, but when you're talking about a 19-year old top prospect, I can't help but dream of more.

Exactly. The Upton and Hunter comps are fine, but if all goes right he can be Hunter with more power or Upton with a higher average. The ceiling is ridiculous for Adell.

The absolute best comp I think I can make for Adell right now is a young Matt Kemp. Similar build, similar skill sets. Kemp absolutely lit the minor leagues on fire before being promoted at age 21. His first few years in the league before injuries robbed him, Kemp was a consistent 30/30 threat. He even came one HR shy of 40/40.

That's what I see Adell becoming, though hopefully healthier.

Of course he can be better. He could literally be Black Trout. But the odds of that happening are astronomically low. 

Also I think you might be underselling Torii and JUp a bit. If Adell ends up amassing 50 WAR over his career that would be amazing. That's borderline HOF worthy. I'll use Ben Zobrist as a counter to your argument. He had five 5+ WAR seasons, including one with 8.6. He's been a good player overall, but I don't think you or anyone else would put him on Torii Hunter's level. When all is said and done, Upton will have ended up a better player as well.

7 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I could see Ward getting promoted to the majors if Kinsler continues to suck. Cozart moves over to 2nd and up comes Ward. That won't be until July at the earliest though.

Many moons back, but Carney Lansford went straight from AA to the Halos as a 21 year-old to start at 3B for the 1978 season.

Obviously a lot to be excited about.  Adell and Marsh have a ton of promise.  The key thing will be for our minor league instructors to help cultivate and maximize that talent.  Based on the progress of all sorts of minor leaguers this offseason, I have faith we can make them both into serious legitimate MLB outfielders.  

9 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I could see Ward getting promoted to the majors if Kinsler continues to suck. Cozart moves over to 2nd and up comes Ward. That won't be until July at the earliest though.

I would say JMF gets promoted, interesting he been playing 3rd the last few games. could start at 2nd and backup 1st and 3rd. additionally we get a guy that has a bit of power and gets on base, he the ideal 2 hole hitter for me and should not be at AAA for this long.

11 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Ah good point.  His May numbers are looking great, looks like he's improving overall.

What's your take on David Fletcher?  He's still OPS'ing above 1000 and we're nearing the end of May.  You think he's significantly adjusted his approach and turned himself into a legitimate future caliber starter?  While I don't see him hitting like that in the MLB, if we can get ourselves a solid defensive 2B with an 800+ OPS on a rookie contract, that would be absolutely HUGE for us, as it didn't really appear we had legitimate middle infield depth at all.

He's probably more than he was in previous years yet not as much as what we've seen this year.  

the guy hit's really well where the ball doesn't spin as much.  Did he suddenly turn into Michael Young or Chuck Knoblach?  Doubtful.  

What will tell you if he's for real is if the halos give him time this year in place of Kinsler and if they don't pursue a replacement for next year.  The team's evaluators know more about these guys than anyone else.   Although, if I'm the rockies, I'm gonna kick the tires to see if he's available.  

As an aside,  I would really like to see the halos get a new AAA home.  Something far more neutral.  Tough to find in the PCL though.  

10 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

He's probably more than he was in previous years yet not as much as what we've seen this year.  

the guy hit's really well where the ball doesn't spin as much.  Did he suddenly turn into Michael Young or Chuck Knoblach?  Doubtful.  

What will tell you if he's for real is if the halos give him time this year in place of Kinsler and if they don't pursue a replacement for next year.  The team's evaluators know more about these guys than anyone else.   Although, if I'm the rockies, I'm gonna kick the tires to see if he's available.  

As an aside,  I would really like to see the halos get a new AAA home.  Something far more neutral.  Tough to find in the PCL though.  

I think the Rockies are looking forward to deploying Brendan Rodgers as their starting 2B next year. That kid is going to hit 30 HR's a year there, and can pick it at SS and 3B too. Great pull power and puts the ball in the air a lot.

52 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I think the Rockies are looking forward to deploying Brendan Rodgers as their starting 2B next year. That kid is going to hit 30 HR's a year there, and can pick it at SS and 3B too. Great pull power and puts the ball in the air a lot.

straight up then?  ?

Adell 1/3, bb, 2b

Torii jr 1/4, sb

Simon Mathews 5ip, 2h, 0er, 1bb, 8k.  Got blown up for his first two starts in may after being very good before that.  (10er in 9ip for those two bad ones).  9.2ip and 0er with 5h and 11k in his last two starts.  Gives up a lot of hits but 44k in 35ip.  22yo UFA RHer from Georgetown.  

13 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Rengifo 0/1, 4bb, sb.  

Jones 0/2, 3bb

Marsh in his A+ debut - 1/5, 2k.  Left 6 runners on.  

Marsh had a rough night with RISP. He made some contact but weakly grounded out to first moving Rengifo to second in the first inning. It wasn't a true productive out.

Rengifo was on base every at bat except his last where he actually made contact, grounding out. He came back to the dugout mad at himself and mumbling something. Probably about having a shot at getting on base five times in one night.

Rengifo was flawless at SS. Jones has has improved and doesn't look lost although there was a play on a stolen base that he positioned himself poorly so his tag was late and behind himself. 

Wood was struggling to control his stuff. Threw a lot of off speed but couldn't locate. His delivery always looks like he is always reaching way back to develop more whip but it just doesn't create the intended velocity. He was the scheduled starter but never got out of the first inning. I'm sure it was a planned pitch count more than enefectiveness that caused his early departure.