• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

- Will the Angels have a spot for him at that time?

- Will he be promoted over Adell?

Adell is the better prospect, I can tell you that, but beyond that I can't answer either of those questions for the year 2020.

I, of course, have no idea either, but it seems that the Angels will probably have a spot for him, considering Kole is signed through 2019 and Hermosillo--while a fine prospect in his own right--doesn't have the upside that Marsh does. I'm guessing that Eppler considers Adell-Trout-Marsh to be the outfield of the 2020s, while looking forward to the "problem" of what to do with Deveaux if he pans out as hoped (Marsh to 1B?).

Another good problem to have is if Hermosillo has established himself as an above average regular before Marsh and Adell are ready. My guess is that Hermosillo's ultimate destiny lies elsewhere, with another organization. It could also be that Eppler plans on trading Marsh eventually.

It is interesting to note that Marsh was promoted when he was having a bit of a slump, while Adell was kept down while he's killing the ball. But numbers aren't everything; the Angels must have felt that Marsh was more ready than Adell, who I think will join him in Inland Empire before May is up.

35 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

just saw Adell make a real strong throw from the LC gap to 2b.  didn't get the runner but the arm strength is clearly back.  

Great to hear!  I had been wondering about that, after all the negative reports of his arm last year.

At least we have a farm system to talk about. 

Adell's power is here.  

Rivas has be struggling but still getting on base at .410 clip.  

Torii jr - 2-3, 3b, bb.   Now hitting .290 with an .803 ops.  

A kid by the name of Oliver Ortega made his 2018 debut after missing all of 2017.  Dominican RHer.  6'0, 165.  Pitched in the DSL in 2015 and AZL 2016.   Tonight he went 4ip, 2h, 0er, 1bb, 3k.  Congrats to him as I presume he had some sort of injury.  

mobile played two 7 inning games today and won them both.  

Ward 1/3, bb and 1/4.  hitting .348 /.978

Thaiss  2/4, hr and 0/4

Jose Rojas 0/4 and 2/3

Jose Rodriguez 5ip, 5h, 2er, 2bb, 8k.   Got blown up for 7er in 2.1ip, but has otherwise been pretty good.  22yo RHed Venezuelan.  

Mahle started the 2nd game giving up a hit and 0er in 4ip with 3k.  His first start of the year.   Sub 2 era with 19k in 18.1ip.   I'd have never guessed he's still only 25.  

Mentioned Almeida before but he pitched another 1.1 innings.  Now with a 1.82 era in 24.2 ip with 11h, 19 bb and 35k.  Curious about his stuff if anyone has a scouting report.  

In the first game, the Bay Bears face a guy by the name of Pablo Lopez who whiffed 10 in 5.2 innings and gave up 0er.  He's got a 0.28 era on the season with 19h in 32.1 ip and 37k.  The reason I bring him up is that he's a 22yo RHer Miami acquired from Jerry D as part of the David Phelps trade.  

14 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

put hunter jr on that short  list as well.  

Ah good point.  His May numbers are looking great, looks like he's improving overall.

What's your take on David Fletcher?  He's still OPS'ing above 1000 and we're nearing the end of May.  You think he's significantly adjusted his approach and turned himself into a legitimate future caliber starter?  While I don't see him hitting like that in the MLB, if we can get ourselves a solid defensive 2B with an 800+ OPS on a rookie contract, that would be absolutely HUGE for us, as it didn't really appear we had legitimate middle infield depth at all.

Fletcher is a contact oriented hitter with a very short path to the ball and an excellent line drive approach. He'll hardly ever strikeout.

Contact oriented approach in an environment where the ball flies, its a perfect recipe for production. Fletcher has already surpassed his previous career high in HR's with 4, and he's about to surpass his career high in doubles with 20. 

It isn't as if Fletcher is suddenly hitting the ball with more authority. He's gotten much stronger in the last year and that will result in him driving the ball further and harder, but at the end of the day that still isn't Fletcher's approach.

So I'd temper expectations on Fletcher. He'll hit for a halfway decent average, get on base and play good defense. He won't "fix" the offense, but he won't hurt the team either.

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

Fletcher is a contact oriented hitter with a very short path to the ball and an excellent line drive approach. He'll hardly ever strikeout.

Contact oriented approach in an environment where the ball flies, its a perfect recipe for production. Fletcher has already surpassed his previous career high in HR's with 4, and he's about to surpass his career high in doubles with 20. 

It isn't as if Fletcher is suddenly hitting the ball with more authority. He's gotten much stronger in the last year and that will result in him driving the ball further and harder, but at the end of the day that still isn't Fletcher's approach.

So I'd temper expectations on Fletcher. He'll hit for a halfway decent average, get on base and play good defense. He won't "fix" the offense, but he won't hurt the team either.

Right.  If he can generate, say, an 0.800 OPS at the MLB level and play solid defense, then that's a HUGE boon for us because we'd have a solid 2B earning the minimum.  This saves us 10.5million (Kinsler's salary - minimum), which in turn frees up money to take care of other deficiencies.  It does not solve issues for this season, but I am thinking moreso of next season.

If we can have Fletcher and Fernandez come up and replace Kinsler and Valbuena's roles (respectively) next season, this saves us ~18 million, which should more than make-up the projected salary increases if we are to re-sign Richards and Maldonado.

18 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Right.  If he can generate, say, an 0.800 OPS at the MLB level and play solid defense, then that's a HUGE boon for us because we'd have a solid 2B earning the minimum.  This saves us 10.5million (Kinsler's salary - minimum), which in turn frees up money to take care of other deficiencies.  It does not solve issues for this season, but I am thinking moreso of next season.

If we can have Fletcher and Fernandez come up and replace Kinsler and Valbuena's roles (respectively) next season, this saves us ~18 million, which should more than make-up the projected salary increases if we are to re-sign Richards and Maldonado.

I'll put it like this, last year, Andrew Benintendi didn't even OPS .800 last year, when he went 20/20.  One of the brightest young stars in the game and formerly one of the top prospects.

David Fletcher in the minors has an OPS of .738.  With the exception of the two hitter friendly home parks he's played in (Orem and Salt Lake), he's never posted an OPS of .800. 

David Fletcher will not have an .800 OPS at the major league level. 

24 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I have a sneaking suspicion Fletcher is not an .800 OPS guy at the MLB level. Feel free to call me out if I’m wrong... wouldn’t be the first time. I thought Howie was gonna be the next Carew with gap power and Wood was gonna be the next Glaus.

3 minutes ago, Dick B Back said:

I have a sneaking suspicion Fletcher is not an .800 OPS guy at the MLB level. Feel free to call me out if I’m wrong... wouldn’t be the first time. I thought Howie was gonna be the next Carew with gap power and Wood was gonna be the next Glaus.

Yeah, I gotcha.  Who knows really, but nevertheless, it's promising to see.  I have a bit more hope for Fletcher than others because I really like his bat control and ability to consistently make contact.  While the likely outcome is probably one in which he's more of a utility player than a starting 2B, I still have some hope for him, as he's demonstrated significant improvement and is producing in AAA at a fairly young age (for the league).  We'll see...