• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

4 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Surprised they're not promoting both Adell and Marsh up to High-A at the same time, like they did with Bichette and Vlad Jr. last year. 

Probably want Adell to get some more experience.  He did miss about two weeks with an injury.

That said, if he keeps hitting like he has, it won’t be too long before we see him in IE alongside Marsh.

I'm sure Adell won't be far behind, especially with the weak outfield a IE - only Brandon Sandoval is doing well. I don't know what's going on with Ryan Vega - he's been out almost all year. But I'm guessing the IE outfield for most of the rest of the year will be Sandoval, Marsh, and Adell; when Vega comes back, maybe Sandoval is promoted to AA.

I wonder if Jonah Todd, who is really struggling, is demoted back to Burlington.

3 minutes ago, Dick B Back said:

For those that follow the minor leaguers, how’s Junior doing? I know he had a terrible start and then got going. Haven’t seen anything posted on him lately.

Thanks!

Hunter is doing quite well. He's showing more plate discipline than anyone thought he had. Very good line drive pop and he can really fly around the bases. 

I expect Hunter, Adell and Marsh will finish the year as the OF at Inland Empire.

5 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Hunter is doing quite well. He's showing more plate discipline than anyone thought he had. Very good line drive pop and he can really fly around the bases. 

I expect Hunter, Adell and Marsh will finish the year as the OF at Inland Empire.

You think Sandoval and Vega end up in AA? Both aren't of the same caliber prospects as Adell and Marsh, but not worthless.

2 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

With the promotion to IE, we could see Marsh in Anaheim perhaps as soon as the very end of 2019, paving the way for him to possibly be our RF starting in 2020.

If they start Barria-tracking these guys, it's definitely possible. MLB overall is getting young talent to the bigs as quick as possible these days.

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

You think Sandoval and Vega end up in AA? Both aren't of the same caliber prospects as Adell and Marsh, but not worthless.

Minor league baseball can be brutal. No matter how good you're playing, if there's someone better, you'll be moved aside.

Sandoval I expect will be promoted to AA for sure. But guys like Vega and Jonah Todd, they have to perform, and even if they do, the Angels won't keep Adell and Hunter Jr. down to accommodate them.

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

If they start Barria-tracking these guys, it's definitely possible. MLB overall is getting young talent to the bigs as quick as possible these days.

Part of it has to do with options as well.  Barria had been with us for a bit and was added to the 40-man roster this offseason, so part of his accelerated path had to do with that.

Likewise, I expect to see Suarez sometime in 2019 if not the end of this year, as he will have to be added to the 40-man roster this offseason too.

I expect Marsh and Adell to be on a similar career path as that if Jahmai Jones. 

Year 1: Split between Burlington and Inland Empire. 

Year 2: Split between Inland Empire and Mobile.

Year 3: Spent mostly in Mobile with either a short stop in Salt Lake or a September promotion to Anaheim.

Year 4: MLB rookie.

So if they stick to that general pace, Marsh will be a rookie at 23, Adell at 22. That's generally where you see the top prospects breaking in at.

19 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I think Marsh and Adell will advance faster than that, Scotty. I could see Marsh starting next year at Mobile and thus essentially erasing your Year 2. But maybe that's wishful thinking.

It's a fun time to be an Angels fan.  The future is looking more and more bright by the day.

40 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I think Marsh and Adell will advance faster than that, Scotty. I could see Marsh starting next year at Mobile and thus essentially erasing your Year 2. But maybe that's wishful thinking.

Well that's a very generalized promotion schedule I laid out. One of the big differences between the Dipoto regime and the Eppler regime (or more accurately, the Servais and Swanson) is the more individualized player assessments.

Under Dipoto, they very much had a set schedule. For some players, it was super conservative, and for some the promotions were unwarranted. They differed from this path very rarely.

Under Eppler, their post Spring assignments are VERY conservative. They'll keep these kids down at lower levels than they probably should be. But, Eppler's regime has also shown a greater willingness to challenge each prospect VERY aggressively as soon as they are ready.

So under Dipoto, this is what Marsh's promotions would've looked like.

2016: Drafted but injured.

2017: AZL

2018: Orem

2019: Burlington 

2020: Inland Empire

2021: AA Mobile

2022: AAA and the Angels.

Marsh would've debuted in the middle of his age 24 season.

This generic plan I laid out starts him at the beginning of his age 23 season. But Marsh is talented enough that he could be here at age 22.

It's definitely possible he lights the world on fire in the Cal League and finishes 2018, his age 20 season in AA. From there, he could finish 2019, his age 21 season in the majors.

So I won't disagree with you. He'll be up when he's ready, Eppler and Swanson are good like that. 

But keep in mind, even if Marsh is ready, we have to think about a couple of factors.

- Will the Angels have a spot for him at that time?

- Will he be promoted over Adell?

Adell is the better prospect, I can tell you that, but beyond that I can't answer either of those questions for the year 2020.

26 minutes ago, vladdy#27 said:

If you take out his first 9 games

24 G 94 AB .340 Avg .418 OBP .500 SLG 6 2B 3 3B 1 HR 7-1 SB-CS 14-26 BB-K

Actually, his first 13 games were pretty bad.  

what tells me he's getting it is the 14/20 bb/k ratio over his last 20 games.  Whereas it was 6/24 in his first 13 games.  

Interesting that Adell has been getting most of the PT in CF over him.  A move to IE seems in order to displace Jonah Todd who is really struggling with the bat.  

Torii jrs swing looks a little flatter than I saw from his pop but Sr was very skinny when he first came up and didn't show a ton of power in the minors until age 24.  I am wondering if Jr might end up with some sneaky power.