• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

23 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Every day it's someone else....   So nice.

I wonder if this is what it's like for other teams or if we're just the "in" minor league team right now, or if people are just now beginning to notice these guys we've been discussing for a while because they're actually watching our games now.

Luis Pena on the hill tonight for the bears.  

Filthy stuff.  His fastball is a swing and miss pitch.  Breaker I saw was nasty.  Almost fooled the ump a couple times.  gave up a hr in the first.  

does this little swaggy shakey thing from the wind up and then will quick pitch one.  

a little all over the place with his delivery.  

Better stuff than Canning and Suarez with the least pitchability.  Suarez has the best ability to grind.  Canning is the best combo of both.  

do yourselves a favor and find a way to watch pena pitch.  

He'll pause with the left leg.  He'll pause with the left knee up.  He'll start his wind up and then suddenly stop.  He falls off to the 1b side so much his back is completely turned and he 6-7 feet from the rubber.  There's a lot of Cueto.  Using his delivery to get under opponents skin.  Fun guy to have on your team.  Douchebag if he's on the other side.  

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

He'll pause with the left leg.  He'll pause with the left knee up.  He'll start his wind up and then suddenly stop.  He falls off to the 1b side so much his back is completely turned and he 6-7 feet from the rubber.  There's a lot of Cueto.  Using his delivery to get under opponents skin.  Fun guy to have on your team.  Douchebag if he's on the other side.  

As I read the first three sentences I thought Doc makes him sound like Cueto, lol.

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

I don't know why more lefties don't give a slight pause in their windup to hold runners. It completely suppresses a running game. Back in my playing days I predominantly relied on speed, and there was one specific pitcher that I or no one else could ever steal on. You can't go first movement.

News on Adell per Fletcher.

Outfielder Jo Adell, the Angels’ second-best prospect, is on the seven-day disabled list at Class-A Burlington, Iowa, because of a thumb contusion, Eppler said. He was hurt on Tuesday night. He is expected back around the time he’s eligible. …

Marsh 2/5, 2b.  

Franklin Torres - 21yo at burlington.  RHed hitter plays 1b, 2b, 3b.   .813 ops with 14bb and a .406 obp.  Under the radar guy.  21yo from Venezuela .  Zero errors.  About half of innings at 2b.  Light hitter in the DSL  and Orem with a small leap forward last year.  

Dave MacKinnon - 2/4, bb.  College guy with an ops over 1.000.  Doesn't hit hrs but drafted in the 32nd round last year and has a .391 avg.  and a .509 obp.  Time to challenge this guy.  Kind of a lumberjack hack type swing but with 39 walks in 169 at bats.  

Taylor Ward - 2/4.  Hitting .400 still.  with 15bb in 70ab.  We're all assuming this isn't sustainable, but it's still impressive.  

Jose Rodriguez - 5.2ip, 2er, 2bb, 4k.  2.61 era in AA so far.  22 yo Rher.  Had a poor 2017 with 149.1ip, 178h and and era over 5 after a solid 2016 with 131.2ip, 115k and 3.14 era.  Soft tosser.  

3 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

The more I watch Rengifo's videos and AB's, the more I like. There's something there folks. The Angels didn't lose Cron for nothing. Rengifo could turn into a pretty good role player someday.

Really cool blend of skills, and I can see him moving quickly.

19 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

The more I watch Rengifo's videos and AB's, the more I like. There's something there folks. The Angels didn't lose Cron for nothing. Rengifo could turn into a pretty good role player someday.

He does everything well save for hit for power -- at least, that's the knock on him.

I believe its only a better of time, once Marsh gets promoted to 66ers, Guys has been on fire: really good BABIP, Improved on the one thing that we all believed he should have and that is is BB rate, The strike-outs are going to be part of his game. Depending on how he does on in 66ers, Marsh could be on the fast track to the majors at 21. If marsh continues to excel at inland and by next year he could be in Double-A and if he has similar success could get a taste of coffee. He looks like he's going to be a major league just looking at his bats at spring training, his defense he ready to handle the job!! He a top 100 prospect be mid season! 

Leonard Rivas similar to Marsh could get promoted soon, he's shown really good BB and K rates and the BABIP has improved. Could be a starting second baseball or SS or at least a backup.             

Jones is getting hot in inland, its only a matter of time before he gets promoted, has shown a nice BB to k rate while showing power and speed, once Jones get's promoted, Rivas is at inland! 

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

Rengifo and Fletcher both made FG's fringe five....   Nice to see the second tier guys being talked about too.

yep. There's gonna be a couple of guys that emerge out of the 2nd and 3rd tier as everyday players, mid tier starters, and high end back of the bullpen guys.  That's what a good farm does for you.  I think a solid draft and some good intl signings does that for us.  Next year, we'll see Marsh getting ready to take a spot mid season.  Adell will push to AA.  Jones will be right there.   I was most surprised to see that he's actually doing really well at the plate so far while managing a position change.  

The one thing I'm still waiting for from our system is that guy who just breaks out of nowhere and hits 30hrs.  Was hoping it could be Moyer but he's kinda started to fade already.  

One assumes the power will eventually come with Marsh, because he hasn't hit for much in his short minor league career so far. But he does seem to be filling out as a complete player.

The Angels have some interesting middle infielders. Only Jones and Rivas seem to be future impact players, but Fletcher, Rengifo, Torres, Soto, etc...some potential future utility/fringe starters.

I believe Rivas is still mostly playing shortstop, so when Rengifo is promoted to AA, he should get the call to A+. I expect that sooner than later. I'm guessing that they don't promote Jones until he's a bit more comfortable playing 2B, maybe around the ASB.

Two more players that could eventually show up on the "Fringe Five": Inland Empire outfielders Brandon Sandoval and Ryan Vega. Vega has been injured since early in the year but is still only 21 and in A+ ball. Sandoval is 23 but playing well. Both seem to have the well-rounded skill set to be a decent 4th outfielder.

3 hours ago, Dochalo said:

what do you know about his defense?  

I was actually put in touch with a scout who works with Seattle, and through a coworker, a prospect who played alongside him.  The honest response is he's a better second baseman.  He's very strong in the lower half and has tons of athleticism, which allows him to make some plays at shortstop.  But his footwork and motions are choppy at shortstop.  If it counts for anything, he's also supposed to be pretty intelligent and well-spoken.  

So that's pretty much all I have on his defense until I actually get to see him more. 

"In a corresponding move, left-handed pitcher Adrian Almeida has been promoted to Mobile from Class A Advanced Inland Empire.

Almeida, 23, gave up just one earned run in 12.0 innings pitched with the 66ers to begin the 2018 season. He was selected by the Angels in the minor league portion of the 2016 Rule 5 Draft from the New York Mets."