• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

no way shake head GIF

I'll take Jo Adell's word for it

"The 18-year-old Adell said his future was a daily topic of conversation in the hallways of Ballard High School. 

“For me, I look at it like a win-win,” Adell said. “I can’t lose. Obviously, they have something amazing going on over there at U of L. College is a big part of my family. Both of my parents went to college and my sister, as well. It’s going to have to be something that’s good enough to leave all of that and what I’ve been working for since I was 8 or 9 years old.”

What would it take for Adell to choose the professional route this summer?

“It would have to be a situation that I want to be in,” he said. “It’s not really a number or a person or a team or whatever. It’s about whether I’m in the right situation and if I feel comfortable about what I’m going to get into. If I am, we know that’s the right decision. If I’m not, then we know the college route is what I need to go by.”

Are you saying Adell is a liar? 

5 hours ago, Lou said:

"The 18-year-old Adell said his future was a daily topic of conversation in the hallways of Ballard High School. 

“For me, I look at it like a win-win,” Adell said. “I can’t lose. Obviously, they have something amazing going on over there at U of L. College is a big part of my family. Both of my parents went to college and my sister, as well. It’s going to have to be something that’s good enough to leave all of that and what I’ve been working for since I was 8 or 9 years old.”

“It would have to be a situation that I want to be in,” he said. “It’s not really a number or a person or a team or whatever. It’s about whether I’m in the right situation and if I feel comfortable about what I’m going to get into. If I am, we know that’s the right decision. If I’m not, then we know the college route is what I need to go by.”

You think Lloyd Christmas and Mary Swanson end up together? I think there's a chance.

9 hours ago, TroutField said:

I’m pretty sure his high school team wasn’t in a very competitive division or whatever it is in the high school ranks, so there were some questions whether his hit tool would translate against tougher competition. They knew the power and athleticism were there; they questioned whether he would make enough contact to be successful. 

Kind of the same thing with Jordyn Adams. 

That was the talk, that the level of competition in Louisville was sub-par and that he may struggle when facing better coached, more experienced competition   Adams just didn't play much baseball until his senior year when he was dominant at the showcases and had a stellar all around Sr year.

6 hours ago, Lou said:

He said when he signed that what had mattered most to him was to go somewhere that he felt truly wanted him and that the Angels had made their intentions known about a year before.   I got the feeling at the time that the Angels had done some super stealthy scouting and made their interest either known to him, or his coaches.  Whatever the case, the rumblings existed and were talked about..  thankfully it all fell into place and they were able to sign him.

7 hours ago, Lou said:

Adell showed no interest in ever playing football. You said he would play football and baseball at Louisville. That was incorrect.

9 hours ago, TroutField said:

I’m pretty sure his high school team wasn’t in a very competitive division or whatever it is in the high school ranks, so there were some questions whether his hit tool would translate against tougher competition. They knew the power and athleticism were there; they questioned whether he would make enough contact to be successful. 

Kind of the same thing with Jordyn Adams. 

Adell played on the op travel ball team in the entire country. There was no question whether he could hit against better competition. Jordyn Adam' high school team was one of the top ranked teams in the country.

So those are both incorrect.

22 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

He said when he signed that what had mattered most to him was to go somewhere that he felt truly wanted him and that the Angels had made their intentions known about a year before.   I got the feeling at the time that the Angels had done some super stealthy scouting and made their interest either known to him, or his coaches.  Whatever the case, the rumblings existed and were talked about..  thankfully it all fell into place and they were able to sign him.

From before the draft...

http://theundefeated.com/features/jordon-adell-is-poised-to-fulfill-his-destiny-in-mlb-draft/

“If a team drafts me, I don’t want it to be because I was the next best available player,” Adell said. “I want them to really want me. I want to be their guy.”

11 hours ago, Lou said:

There was a chance he'd go to Louisville to play both baseball and football 

I know you've read this article before, but maybe you forgot, so I'll repost it. It talks about how Adell never wanted to play football. 

http://theundefeated.com/features/jordon-adell-is-poised-to-fulfill-his-destiny-in-mlb-draft/

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

From before the draft...

“If a team drafts me, I don’t want it to be because I was the next best available player,” Adell said. “I want them to really want me. I want to be their guy.”

My point with Lou was that Jo Adell was never going to be a football player at Louisville.

Just now, Second Base said:

Also, incoming rumor, the Angels discussed Christian Villanueva with the Padres. They agreed to a basic framework (prospects) but the Padres tabled it because they were looking to solve their outfield situation and acquire a starting 3B first. The deal coul still come together later Jin the offseason. 

Im really good at reading typonese (as I make typos like a pro), and this isn't an attempt to mock you, but the Jin, in your post threw me for whatever and I actually wondered if Jin was some Japanese guy who might get posted soon or something.   LOL....  I get what you meant now but I was wracking my head wondering how Jin was and if the Padres were trying to sign some dude name Jin.

4 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Im really good at reading typonese (as I make typos like a pro), and this isn't an attempt to mock you, but the Jin, in your post threw me for whatever and I actually wondered if Jin was some Japanese guy who might get posted soon or something.   LOL....  I get what you meant now but I was wracking my head wondering how Jin was and if the Padres were trying to sign some dude name Jin.

I hear the game is getting bigger in Taiwan. 

6 hours ago, Second Base said:

Also, incoming rumor, the Angels discussed Christian Villanueva with the Padres. They agreed to a basic framework (prospects) but the Padres tabled it because they were looking to solve their outfield situation and acquire a starting 3B first. The deal coul still come together later Jin the offseason. 

Although I will believe it when I see it (simply because there are so many potential options out there), Villanueva has always been a good defender at 3B and, as I will detail in the Primer Series next submission (Production), the Angels led the League last year in Pull%, which is not an accident and Christian is an extreme pull hitter with Arenado-like numbers against LHP's (career wRC+ of 200 vs. LHP over a limited 138 PA's). However against RHP he struggles (wRC+ of 65 over 278 PA's)

Would be an interesting acquisition particularly in a backup corner role but probably not as a full-time 3B. An under-the-radar (perhaps too much) target that would be a gamble for the Angels.

3 hours ago, ettin said:

Although I will believe it when I see it (simply because there are so many potential options out there), Villanueva has always been a good defender at 3B and, as I will detail in the Primer Series next submission (Production), the Angels led the League last year in Pull%, which is not an accident and Christian is an extreme pull hitter with Arenado-like numbers against LHP's (career wRC+ of 200 vs. LHP over a limited 138 PA's). However against RHP he struggles (wRC+ of 65 over 278 PA's)

Would be an interesting acquisition particularly in a backup corner role but probably not as a full-time 3B. An under-the-radar (perhaps too much) target that would be a gamble for the Angels.

I seriously doubt ANY team would be interested in Villanueva getting regular at bats against RHP. 

On 11/17/2018 at 9:01 PM, Second Base said:

I seriously doubt ANY team would be interested in Villanueva getting regular at bats against RHP. 

That kinda works out for us though. We sucked vs. lefties last year. Pujols especially so. And if Ohtani does wind up struggling (I doubt it) then he’s an option there as well.

21 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Decision time: Which prospects get 40-man spots?

https://atmlb.com/2A3c3ED via @MLB

The funny thing is, all four of our guys are a risk to be taken. They'll obviously protect Rengifo, but teams take a chance all the time in pitchers like Gatto and Pena. Both throw hard and have a great breaking ball. I think some team would be particularly interested in grabbing Gatto. Big, strong pitcher with three workable pitches and very good velocity. You make him a reliever and give him a year and he can really break out.

1 hour ago, GrittyVeterans said:

How hard does Gatto really throw? When I saw him he was sitting at 92. To me that isn’t “very good velocity”. 

He wont be a big loss at all

I've seen him touch 96 on occasion and generally throw 93-94.  But the scouts I've spoken with all agreed that there has to be more there that he isn't tapping into yet as a starter. 

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

That kinda works out for us though. We sucked vs. lefties last year. Pujols especially so. And if Ohtani does wind up struggling (I doubt it) then he’s an option there as well.

I kinda figure that's why they've discussed him.  He'd probably play 1B against lefties, fill in at 3B and maybe even platoon with Calhoun in RF or whatever.  It's one thing to discuss things internally, it's another to reach out to another team and talk about it.  The Padres shut it down apparently, and there isn't much optimism that it'll get done because there isn't much optimism that the Padres will bring in an actual 3B. 

4 hours ago, Second Base said:

I kinda figure that's why they've discussed him.  He'd probably play 1B against lefties, fill in at 3B and maybe even platoon with Calhoun in RF or whatever.  It's one thing to discuss things internally, it's another to reach out to another team and talk about it.  The Padres shut it down apparently, and there isn't much optimism that it'll get done because there isn't much optimism that the Padres will bring in an actual 3B. 

Pirela has similar defensive versatility and hits lefties well also, and being more of a mid-infielder, he's definitely more on the bubble than Villanueva.