• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

If you’re fat at 19 it isn’t only or even mostly genetics - it is mostly because you have had bad eating habits, usually as taught by family and culture.

Our culture likes to blame everyone else, but there is great empowerment in taking responsibility. I’m not saying self-blame as that often contributes to the vicious cycle, but in saying “I can choose whether or not to order fries and a soda.” 

If Vlad Jr wants to have slim body, it is within his power to do so. Might he have to work harder than some to do so? Maybe, but even then a lot of that is habit and can be changed. The body maintains itself homeostatically but can be re-taught. 

11 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

If you’re fat at 19 it isn’t only or even mostly genetics - it is mostly because you have had bad eating habits, usually as taught by family and culture.

Our culture likes to blame everyone else, but there is great empowerment in taking responsibility. I’m not saying self-blame as that often contributes to the vicious cycle, but in saying “I can choose whether or not to order fries and a soda.” 

If Vlad Jr wants to have slim body, it is within his power to do so. Might he have to work harder than some to do so? Maybe, but even then a lot of that is habit and can be changed. The body maintains itself homeostatically but can be re-taught. 

Agreed completely.  I'm 33, and as far as build goes, I want to look the same way I did at 22.  When I was 22, it didn't take a lot of work, or any.  It was natural.  Now at 33, it requires hitting the gym 3-4 times a week. But it's very much a choice.  Now obviously as you get older it it isn't within reason, but at this age it still is.  Vlad is 19.  He's quite capable of looking like his dad did at 19 if that was his goal.  Now if it's his goal to simply improve quickness and mobility and explosiveness, he'll probably still have a thicker body type than dad did, but he'd still be healthy. 

Right now, it's hard to tell.  Some of it might be baby fat, and some of it is very likely nutrition, and some of it is also natural body type.  But once Jr. sees the value in maintaining a cleaner physique, I think it'll happen.  Keep in mind, this is someone that's never been challenged in the game of baseball.  

Vlad Jr. hasn't had to work hard at anything yet.  He grew up wealthy and naturally, he's a better hitter than every single person his age in the world.  But major league baseball is too competitive.  At some point, he'll be forced to put in the work or never compete the way he's capable of.  I'm quite certain Vlad Jr will be in better shape at 23 and 24 than he is at 18 and 19. 

5 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

This is true. 

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

Agreed completely.  I'm 33, and as far as build goes, I want to look the same way I did at 22.  When I was 22, it didn't take a lot of work, or any.  It was natural.  Now at 33, it requires hitting the gym 3-4 times a week. But it's very much a choice.  Now obviously as you get older it it isn't within reason, but at this age it still is.  Vlad is 19.  He's quite capable of looking like his dad did at 19 if that was his goal.  Now if it's his goal to simply improve quickness and mobility and explosiveness, he'll probably still have a thicker body type than dad did, but he'd still be healthy. 

Right now, it's hard to tell.  Some of it might be baby fat, and some of it is very likely nutrition, and some of it is also natural body type.  But once Jr. sees the value in maintaining a cleaner physique, I think it'll happen.  Keep in mind, this is someone that's never been challenged in the game of baseball.  

Vlad Jr. hasn't had to work hard at anything yet.  He grew up wealthy and naturally, he's a better hitter than every single person his age in the world.  But major league baseball is too competitive.  At some point, he'll be forced to put in the work or never compete the way he's capable of.  I'm quite certain Vlad Jr will be in better shape at 23 and 24 than he is at 18 and 19. 

I'll take that bet.  

The guy is a professional athlete with almost unlimited resources for maintaining his physique.  

vlad jr at 19

Image result for vladimir guerrero jr

vlad and jr in 2002

Image result for vladimir guerrero 2002

vlad in 1999

Image result for vladimir guerrero 1999

Vlad jr is going to struggle with weight issues his whole career.  By all accounts he's actually got a great work ethic.  

Can't wait to see how good, and how fat, Mike Trout, Jr. will be. 

Arizona Fall League updates: 

• Jahmai Jones: .368/.467/.526/.993 in 10 G/38 AB with 3 doubles, 1 home, 6 walks, 10 strikeouts, and 2-5 in SB attempts
  • Roberto Baldoquin: .080/.148/.080/.228 in 6 G/25 AB with 2 BB, 7 K
  • David MacKinnon: .059/.333/.059/.392 in 5 G/17 AB with 7 walks to 8 strikeouts
  • Daniel Procopio: In 4 G, 7 IP: 7 H, 2 BB, 2 K, 2.57 ERA
  • Jesus Castillo: In 2 GS, 6 IP: 10 H, 2 BB, 6 K, 7.50 ERA
  • Brett Hanewich: In 5 G, 6 IP: 4 H, 3 BB, 10 K, 0.00 ERA
  • Ryan Clark: In 3 G, 4 IP: H, 3 BB, 3 K, 0.00 ERA

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

I'll take that bet.  

The guy is a professional athlete with almost unlimited resources for maintaining his physique.  

vlad jr at 19

Image result for vladimir guerrero jr

vlad and jr in 2002

Image result for vladimir guerrero 2002

vlad in 1999

Image result for vladimir guerrero 1999

Vlad jr is going to struggle with weight issues his whole career.  By all accounts he's actually got a great work ethic.  

I'm betting he gets his badonkadonk from his mom and his fast twitch from his dad.

I'm with those who believe that he is predisposed to be thicker, and will always have to watch it or he will end up with a David Ortiz physique...  Instead of being Big Papi, he can be Fat Vladi.

Also -- he likes doughnuts and ice cream https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2786518-vladimir-guerrero-ready-for-fearless-19-year-old-son-to-steal-family-spotlight

So now here she is, living in New Hampshire with a grandson who scrawls "Dios" ("God") into the dirt with his bat handle before each plate appearance, overseeing his banking, dispensing wisdom ("what he did good, what he did wrong, where he could be a better person"), cooking for him and making sure he stays out of the fast food joints to keep his weight in check. In addition to home runs, like many kids of 19, Vladdy Jr. has a healthy appetite for doughnuts and ice cream.

Edited by Inside Pitch

35 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Can't wait to see how good, and how fat, Mike Trout, Jr. will be. 

Arizona Fall League updates: 

• Jahmai Jones: .368/.467/.526/.993 in 10 G/38 AB with 3 doubles, 1 home, 6 walks, 10 strikeouts, and 2-5 in SB attempts
  • Roberto Baldoquin: .080/.148/.080/.228 in 6 G/25 AB with 2 BB, 7 K
  • David MacKinnon: .059/.333/.059/.392 in 5 G/17 AB with 7 walks to 8 strikeouts
  • Daniel Procopio: In 4 G, 7 IP: 7 H, 2 BB, 2 K, 2.57 ERA
  • Jesus Castillo: In 2 GS, 6 IP: 10 H, 2 BB, 6 K, 7.50 ERA
  • Brett Hanewich: In 5 G, 6 IP: 4 H, 3 BB, 10 K, 0.00 ERA
  • Ryan Clark: In 3 G, 4 IP: H, 3 BB, 3 K, 0.00 ERA

Someone get Baldo some doughnuts and ice cream, please....

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

I'm betting he gets his badonkadonk from his mom and his fast twitch from his dad.

I'm with those who believe that he is predisposed to be thicker, and will always have to watch it or he will end up with a David Ortiz physique...  Instead of being Big Papi, he can be Fat Vladi.

Also -- he likes doughnuts and ice cream https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2786518-vladimir-guerrero-ready-for-fearless-19-year-old-son-to-steal-family-spotlight

So now here she is, living in New Hampshire with a grandson who scrawls "Dios" ("God") into the dirt with his bat handle before each plate appearance, overseeing his banking, dispensing wisdom ("what he did good, what he did wrong, where he could be a better person"), cooking for him and making sure he stays out of the fast food joints to keep his weight in check. In addition to home runs, like many kids of 19, Vladdy Jr. has a healthy appetite for doughnuts and ice cream.

Plus one for saying badonkadonk.

I picture Vlad being a below average 3B and LF his first couple years, then he'll develop into an average defensive option for a couple years. By the time he's 24 and ready for free agency he'll be playing LF and DH only.  Right around 25 or 26 he'll make the full time transition to 1B or DH.

Either way, I give him 5-7 years of playing the field, other than 1B. That's right around where Miguel Cabrera was. Played the field (outside of 1B) until he 25.

5 minutes ago, Lou said:

I like how everyone assumes we were in total control as to which team Vlad, Jr signed with. 

It's a pretty good assumption though. You can't honestly say the Angels wouldn't be on the fast track to signing him if they could have.

I know you will because you are Lou, but otherwise.

5 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

It's a pretty good assumption though. You can't honestly say the Angels wouldn't be on the fast track to signing him if they could have.

I wonder if the Rangers and Orioles fans feel the same way. 

23 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

To be fair,  Toronto did make some sense too. He is a Canadian citizen, after all. Even if he was only there for the first few years of his life, there was certainly some appeal to playing there besides it just being any other team.

Maybe he'll sign in Anaheim once he hits FA.

Just now, totdprods said:

To be fair,  Toronto did make some sense too. He is a Canadian citizen, after all. Even if he was only there for the first few years of his life, there was certainly some appeal to playing there besides it just being any other team.

I'd say it was

1. Angels

2. Jays

3. Everyone else

Dipoto eliminated the Angels by being a F*ck butt with AIDS. So now Jr. is in Toronto.