• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Meanwhile, the Oakland A's have a horrible farm system (especially in the SP dept., their current starting rotation and lineup on paper pales in comparison to Houston as well.) 

It's not always as easy as it seems. There still hasn't been a paper champion given a World Series trophy.

For sure - it doesn't ultimately mean anything, but it shows how, well, expendable Sandoval was to Houston, and how far we have to go in creating org depth for someone like him to not automatically become our 3rd best SP. 

We've come a long way, we have work to do still, and we have a beast of a team ahead of us still both MLB and minor-league. It's part of what drives me to see 2019 as, unfortunately, more of a transitional year where we test youth and incorporate a new manager. 

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

For sure - it doesn't ultimately mean anything, but it shows how, well, expendable Sandoval was to Houston, and how far we have to go in creating org depth for someone like him to not automatically become our 3rd best SP. 

We've come a long way, we have work to do still, and we have a beast of a team ahead of us still both MLB and minor-league. It's part of what drives me to see 2019 as, unfortunately, more of a transitional year where we test youth and incorporate a new manager. 

I hear ya. 

I know that @Dochalo wanted Gorman, but I wanted one of those top college arms that were available for this very reason. 

Oh well. Hopefully Adams turns out to be a complete stud down the road. I just have a feeling it's going to take him a bit longer to get there. 

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

I hear ya. 

I know that @Dochalo wanted Gorman, but I wanted one of those top college arms that were available for this very reason. 

Oh well. Hopefully Adams turns out to be a complete stud down the road. I just have a feeling it's going to take him a bit longer to get there. 

As we saw this year, things can change quick. Our hitters took massive steps forward. 

Hoping Yan, Soriano, Rivera, Aquino, Molina, Rodriguez, Bradish, Hernandez, Beasley take similar steps next year. 

It's really about seeing the guys in Orem/Burlington produce at Inland Empire and Mobile. Once that happens, the stock raises quickly. Just like how a year ago, it was Adell, Marsh, Jones, Hunter, etc. playing in Orem/Burlington. 

It could become pretty cyclical. Next year we may see the pitching wave mentioned above creep into full-season ball, with Adams, Jackson, Knowles, Soto, Maitan and another offensive wave a year behind them.

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

As we saw this year, things can change quick. Our hitters took massive steps forward. 

Hoping Yan, Soriano, Rivera, Aquino, Molina, Rodriguez, Bradish, Hernandez, Beasley take similar steps next year. 

It's really about seeing the guys in Orem/Burlington produce at Inland Empire and Mobile. Once that happens, the stock raises quickly. Just like how a year ago, it was Adell, Marsh, Jones, Hunter, etc. playing in Orem/Burlington. 

It could become pretty cyclical. Next year we may see the pitching wave mentioned above creep into full-season ball, with Adams, Jackson, Knowles, Soto, Maitan and another offensive wave a year behind them.

Yep! 

On another note, I'm really thinking Jared Walsh makes the team next year. Two more bombs and that'll give him 30 on the season. When's the last time we had a hitting prospect hit 30 HR?

But yeah, Walsh is a lefthanded bat that can play 1B, OF and pitch for crying out loud. That type of player is incredibly valuable. When I think about the prospects of having him on the team though, I get bummed thinking about that dead weight in Pujols that's blocking him, Thaiss, etc. 

2017, Jeyson Sanchez led the Angels minor leaguers with 15.*** 
2016, Zach Houchins, with 18. 
2015, Eric Aguilera with 17. 
2014, Dennis Raben hit 31 at A+! Brennan Boesch hit 25!! Luis Jimenez hit 21! Sherman Johnson with 17! The Angels were ripe with power.
2013, Borenstein hit 28. 
2012, Cron hit 27.
2011, Calhoun led with 22. 
2010, Trumbo with 36. 
2009, SRod with 29. 

***For comparison, the Astros org had 12 finish with more HR than the Angels minor league leader, 8 of whom played mostly in AAA.

Even if Blash and Walsh top out as 4-A players, still exciting to see someone hit more than ~15 on the farm.

How is it that AAA/AAAA pitchers can't get Blash out, with that crazy swing of his?

Menawhile, time to send Nonie "Chevy Clarke" Williams elsewhere?   Three rookie ball seasons, and his OPS is still in the low .600s in an absolute hitters' league, AND he injures Adams in a collision on top of it. 

11 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

How is it that AAA/AAAA pitchers can't get Blash out, with that crazy swing of his?

Menawhile, time to send Nonie "Chevy Clarke" Williams elsewhere?   Three rookie ball seasons, and his OPS is still in the low .600s in an absolute hitters' league, AND he injures Adams in a collision on top of it. 

Not yet. 

Nonie has been awful pretty much every single season, day in, day out...
He's rarely had a hot stretch or any real sign of life. Trust me, I've tracked it. 

His first 20 games: .141/.207/.212/.418 in 92 PA with 4 BB, 25 K, and 3 triples. A BAbip of .200
His last 20 games: .250/.337/.487/.824 in 89 PA with 10 BB, 25 K, 19 RBI, and 8 doubles, 2 triples, 2 home runs. A normal BABip of .333

Something seems to have clicked, and he only just turned 20, a bit young for Pioneer League. 
Maybe he figured something out, maybe he's getting lucky, or maybe he's starting to see players pass him up, disappear on the horizon, and now new players come up from behind and produce better (Knowles, Jackson) and it's kicked in some sort of fight or flight in him. 

I'd stash him in Burlington next year with Maitan and maybe even some of Soto, Adams, Knowles, or Jackson if they want to keep up this aggressive promotion streak. Surrounded by some legit talent, he could find himself still. 

That could be a fun team to watch if they keep them together.

15 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Way too much upside to give up just yet. He may just need a change of scenery (as in, a different league within the org). Still very young.

15 minutes ago, totdprods said:

His first 20 games: .141/.207/.212/.418 in 92 PA with 4 BB, 25 K, and 3 triples. A BAbip of .200
His last 20 games: .250/.337/.487/.824 in 89 PA with 10 BB, 25 K, 19 RBI, and 8 doubles, 2 triples, 2 home runs. A normal BABip of .333

That's encouraging.  At least something tangible to show some progress...

Now if only Duensing would show signs of turning it around...

7 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

That's encouraging.  At least something tangible to show some progress...

Now if only Duensing would show signs of turning it around...

Yeeeeahhh not seeing much on Duensing so far to give me hope. Deveaux as well, but as we might be seeing with Nonie, it can take a year or two with guys that young. 

24 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Yeeeeahhh not seeing much on Duensing so far to give me hope. Deveaux as well, but as we might be seeing with Nonie, it can take a year or two with guys that young. 

In regards to Deveaux, I think, with anyone under 20, you have to give them some time.  Not everyone is Jo Adell playing AA ball at age 19.

2 hours ago, mulwin444 said:

In regards to Deveaux, I think, with anyone under 20, you have to give them some time.  Not everyone is Jo Adell playing AA ball at age 19.

I don't expect anything even remotely close to Jo Adell. At his age, with any prospect, I'm just hoping to see an OPS in the acceptable range - .650+ - and at least one skill standing out. Some power, contact, OBP, great defenses, steals, at least one tangible skill showing through early to hint at some future success, even if just in a bench role.

Deveaux so far has one - a 12.4% BB rate, which is definitely promising and hints that the eye is there. Sporting a OBP above .300 when your BA is below .200 is always somewhat encouraging.

That said, a 35% K rate and an .ISO of .048 shows he's whiffing like crazy and not doing much besides walking and slapping singles as well, and I haven't seen much in terms of speed or defense to make me dream on a speedy, slappy, high OBP lead-off hitter ceiling. 

But I also haven't seen much of him, and he is very young, and a 12.4 BB% rate at his age in his first go at pro ball is definitely enough to hang hope on. As we're seeing with Nonie, and even Maitan, these dudes are still real early into their careers. 

Chevy Clarke had a BB% around 8 in his first year to go with a 30% K rate and .173 ISO, so even he was showing as much signs of life as Deveaux is currently at this point in their career.

5 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Meanwhile, the Oakland A's have a horrible farm system (especially in the SP dept., their current starting rotation and lineup on paper pales in comparison to Houston as well.) 

It's not always as easy as it seems. There still hasn't been a paper champion given a World Series trophy.

They have Jesus Luzardo though -- he's pretty much their Sean Newcomb.,   Treinen and Luzardo for Madson Doolittle is turning out really well for Oakland

6 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

They have Jesus Luzardo though -- he's pretty much their Sean Newcomb.,   Treinen and Luzardo for Madson Doolittle is turning out really well for Oakland

Really good deal for Oakland. 

Treinen may have the best stuff as a closer.

I've never seen a high 90's fastball move like his.