• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

While we’re on the topic of scouting reports, anyone have anything on Mayky Perez? Looks like a somewhat recent convert to relief pitcher at Burlington. Dude has pitched 33 innings, and has struck out 48 while only giving up 11 hits. And 4 of those hits were in his last 2 outings, which were multiple inning outings. So before that he had given up 7 hits all season...

A few random thoughts/questions for possible discussion:

1) Is Jeremiah Jackson now rated higher than Jordyn Adams? Adams has been OK but Jackson has been great.

2) Who is the future starting 2B for the Angels, Jahmai Jones or Luis Rengifo?

3) Is D'Shawn Knowles now the top Bahamanian prospect in the org given Deveaux's terrible showing so far, or do Deveaux's tools still put him higher?

4) Who has a higher upside, Jose Suarez or Pat Sandoval?

5) If we completely forget the now seemingly erroneous early scouting reports on Kevin Maitan and look at him with fresh eyes, what sort of prospect is he based upon his tools and performance right now?

My responses:

Spoiler

1) It is close. I was always a bit leery of how orgasmic people were over Adam's slam dunk when baseball is about so much more than athletes, and Jackson has just been awesome so far while Adams merely OK. But obviously we need to see more. That said, if push came to shove I'd probably take Jackson over Adams.

2) Tough one. I like Rengifo but he seems better suited to super UT, if only because Jones is more limited defensively. On the other hand, whereas Rengifo can play the entire infield, Jones can be 2B-OF. But thankfully Rengifo is probably a year ahead of Jones so we'll get to audition them one at a time. And of course the infield is crowded with Fletcher, Cozart, and Ward vying for 2B-3B, not to mention Fernandez. We'll just to see how things unfold.

3) I think Knowles deserves the edge. Make-up is probably the most important "tool," and he seems to have it in spades. Even if he only becomes a 4th outfielder, he just has that major league quality to him. Deveaux could either be Kenny Lofton or another Chevy Clarke, so has a higher ceiling but a much lower floor.

4) Again, hard to say. Scouts don't love either and see both as #4s, maybe #3s, but I think Suarez has sneakily good stuff and Sandoval is just performing so well at 21 that it is hard imagining him not being at least a #3. I guess I'd have to go with Suarez, but it is close.

5) Wiping the slate clean I'd probably rank Maitan around #15 in the org, as a solid C+ 45 FV prospect with the upside to become a decent starting corner infielder in the majors. But I just don't see the Miggy Cabrera bat. I could see a best-case scenario where he develops into a .270, 25 HR type mediocre glove 3B.

10 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

1) Is Jeremiah Jackson now rated higher than Jordyn Adams? Adams has been OK but Jackson has been great.

3) Is D'Shawn Knowles now the top Bahamanian prospect in the org given Deveaux's terrible showing so far, or do Deveaux's tools still put him higher?

5) If we completely forget the now seemingly erroneous early scouting reports on Kevin Maitan and look at him with fresh eyes, what sort of prospect is he based upon his tools and performance right now?

My responses:

Reveal hidden contents

1.  No.  Love the start for Jackson but tools still favor Adams who has less experience.  Still wanted Gorman.  

2.  The hit tool for Jones is a bit concerning to me.  Either bad luck or soft contact this year.  Probably the latter.  For me it's Rengifo right now who's more natural to the position with a k/bb rate of 1/1 and a little pop who will likely steal 30 bags.  

3.  This isn't close to me.  Turns out Knowles is sort of a man child so far.  Dude is 17 and won't turn 18 till Jan.  youngest player in the league and hitting bombs.  He's also got 4 OF assists in RF since joining Orem.  Are you in "D'Know"?  That doesn't change Deveaux being a prospect but they've got to fix that swing.  

4. upside is about even for me.  Probably give the edge to Sandoval for upside even though he's older and still in AA.  Seems like he figured something out.  

5. can't ignore the original scouting report because the tools were so vivid.  He's still the 4th youngest position player on Orem behind Knowles, Soto and Jackson (by a month).  Yet he's like 6'3" and somewhere between 190 and 220.  I think his body change really messed with him.  If comes to spring 20lbs overweight again, he's going way down my list.  If he puts together a good off season and comes in fit and ready, he'll stay in the top 10-15 range.  

Friday, August 24th, 2018

Salt Lake (58-62) won 7-5 vs. Fresno/HOU (75-55)

• Rengifo: 2-5, 2 K, R
  • Way: 2-5, 2 R - Way is slashing .341/.383/.432/.815 in 24 G/88 AB at AAA
  • Thaiss: 1-3, 2 R, 2 BB - rough month of August for Thaiss - slashing .230/.287/.356/.644 in 21 G/94 PA
  • Walsh: 2-5, R, HR (6), 3 RBI, K - on the season, Walsh has 33 doubles, 1 triple, 27 HR, 96 RBI, .903 OPS - and a 1.59 ERA
  • Rojas (playing LF): 0-4, RBI, K - yet to find his stroke in AAA - 14 G, 52 AB - .173/.167/.212/.378
  • Triunfel: 2-4, R, HR (3), RBI
  • Lillis-White: IP, H - the 6'4" LH RP has a 3.55 ERA and 19 K in his last 10 G / 12.2 IP
  • Tazawa: IP, H, 2 K - with Salt Lake, Tazawa has thrown 4.1 IP, allowing 5 hits, 2 ER, 1 HR, 2 BB, and striking out 5

Mobile (64-63) won 9-4 vs. Pensacola/CIN (63-65)

• Jones: 0-5, 3 K - mired in a slump again, .156 in last 10 games
  • Adell: 2-4, R, 2B, K
  • Hudson: 4-5, R, 2B, HR (1), 4 RBI - slashing .360/.416/.657/1.072 since joining Angels org (27 G/93 AB) with 42% CS%
  • Klonowski: 7 IP, 9 H, 0 R, BB, 3 K -  in his last 7 G (37.2 IP): 2.87 ERA, .229 BAA, 10 BB, 27 K

Inland Empire (65-65) lost 6-9 vs. Rancho Cucamonga/LAD (79-51)

• Marsh: 0-4, R, BB, K
  • Hunter, Jr.: 2-5, K, E (1)
  • Gurwitz: 2-4, R, HR (1), 3 RBI, K
  • Navarro: 1-4, R, HR (2), RBI, 2 K
  • Santos: 5 IP, 7 H, 8 ER, BB,  3 K - torched in 2nd start at IE
  • Hanewich: 2 IP, 0 H, 4 BB, 2 K - continuing a strong season - 40 G/67 IP (A/A+): 2.55 ERA, 42 BB, 72 K, 49 H, 2 HR allowed
  • Herrin: '15, 18th Rd. pick - in AZL/IE, 8 IP, 3 hits allowed, 6 strikeouts

Burlington (49-77) won 3-0 vs. Quad Cities/HOU (74-57)

• Rivas: 1-4, R, 2 K
  • Martinez: 1-4, R, 2 K
  • Millard: 1-3, R HR (2), RBI, K
  • Soriano: 5 IP, 0 H, 3 BB, 6 K - 61 pitches, 38 strikes - his last 6 G/24.2 IP - 2.19 ERA, 182 BAA, 19 BB, 23 K - he is only 19, nearly 3 years younger than those he's playing against
  • Perez: 2 IP, H, 3 K - continuing a great year, he's been dominant in Burlington: 35 IP, only 12 H (.106 BAA), 20 BB, 51 K, 2.31 ERA
  • Wantz: IP, 2 K - 22.2 IP on the season, 47 strikeouts - an 18.7 K/9 to go with a 1.19 ERA
  • Warren: IP, H, BB - 26.1 IP, 4.10 ERA, 9 BB, 37 K on the year

Orem (19-45) lost 5-13 vs. Ogden/LAD (41-24)

• Jackson: 1-5, R, 2B, RBI, 2 E (6), SB (2)
  • Maitan: 2-5, R, HR (6), RBI, 2 K
  • Knowles: 3-5, 2 HR (4), 2 RBI - .331/.420/.494/.915 on the year (47 G, 178 AB) with 17 XBH, 26 BB, 46 K

DSL Angels (21-50) lost 0-4 vs. DSL Mets1 (46-25)

• Uceta: 2-4, K

19 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

My responses:

Reveal hidden contents

1) It is close. I was always a bit leery of how orgasmic people were over Adam's slam dunk when baseball is about so much more than athletes, and Jackson has just been awesome so far while Adams merely OK. But obviously we need to see more. That said, if push came to shove I'd probably take Jackson over Adams.

2) Tough one. I like Rengifo but he seems better suited to super UT, if only because Jones is more limited defensively. On the other hand, whereas Rengifo can play the entire infield, Jones can be 2B-OF. But thankfully Rengifo is probably a year ahead of Jones so we'll get to audition them one at a time. And of course the infield is crowded with Fletcher, Cozart, and Ward vying for 2B-3B, not to mention Fernandez. We'll just to see how things unfold.

3) I think Knowles deserves the edge. Make-up is probably the most important "tool," and he seems to have it in spades. Even if he only becomes a 4th outfielder, he just has that major league quality to him. Deveaux could either be Kenny Lofton or another Chevy Clarke, so has a higher ceiling but a much lower floor.

4) Again, hard to say. Scouts don't love either and see both as #4s, maybe #3s, but I think Suarez has sneakily good stuff and Sandoval is just performing so well at 21 that it is hard imagining him not being at least a #3. I guess I'd have to go with Suarez, but it is close.

5) Wiping the slate clean I'd probably rank Maitan around #15 in the org, as a solid C+ 45 FV prospect with the upside to become a decent starting corner infielder in the majors. But I just don't see the Miggy Cabrera bat. I could see a best-case scenario where he develops into a .270, 25 HR type mediocre glove 3B.

1. I would rank them about the same as of now

2. Rengifo, But jone's has an higher ceiling but also a solid chance to bust. I think eppler and co will let this play out and see who becomes the starting 2nd baseman. As of now i have Rengifo since he's close to Mlb.

3. yes. D"Shaw has been destroying the ball, But Deveaux still has time.

4. Suarez looks like an 3, I still have to see how Sandoval does at Double-A to see where he is.

5. I think its still to early to give up on Maitain, he still young (18) and the numbers arn't bad, he has an Babip over 300, I do believe that  ultimately he's a 1st baseman.,  

19 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I know that he's not an prospect any more, but how would you guys grade Barria stuff from early in the season to now?  

I think is off speed has improved, his change-up looks like an out pitch and he's using it has an strike-out pitch, same with the slider.

I can't really comment on this as I haven't watched him pitch recently, but one thing to note is that he's been excellent in his last three starts: 1.15 ERA, 3 walks, 17 strikeouts in 15.2 IP. 

There was the sense early on that he was getting by on grit and pitchability and seemed to be one bad pitch in every outling from getting rocked. Maybe his stuff is improving a bit. I don't expect him to ever be more than a 3.50-4.00 ERA type pitcher, but whereas before it seemed like he could quickly balloon up to 4.50+, now it seems like he might be settling into his current run prevention level. Who knows, maybe over the next couple years his ERA can drift towards 3.00.

Either way, Barria seems a bit easy to forget, perhaps because he doesn't flash crazy stuff like Ohtani and RIchards, or even on the Skaggs level. But he should be there with Heaney and eventually Suarez and Canning as strong pieces going forward.

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I can't really comment on this as I haven't watched him pitch recently, but one thing to note is that he's been excellent in his last three starts: 1.15 ERA, 3 walks, 17 strikeouts in 15.2 IP. 

There was the sense early on that he was getting by on grit and pitchability and seemed to be one bad pitch in every outling from getting rocked. Maybe his stuff is improving a bit. I don't expect him to ever be more than a 3.50-4.00 ERA type pitcher, but whereas before it seemed like he could quickly balloon up to 4.50+, now it seems like he might be settling into his current run prevention level. Who knows, maybe over the next couple years his ERA can drift towards 3.00.

Either way, Barria seems a bit easy to forget, perhaps because he doesn't flash crazy stuff like Ohtani and RIchards, or even on the Skaggs level. But he should be there with Heaney and eventually Suarez and Canning as strong pieces going forward.

I thought he'd have better command but I think over time it will improve 

22 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

My responses:

Reveal hidden contents

1. Adams is still ranked higher. Play the long game, not the short. Remember earlier this season when people were actually ranking Marsh ahead of Adell? Ridiculousness. Gotta look at tools and how these guys will project beyond rookie ball.

2. Right now, I'd say it's probably Fletcher. He plays spectacular defense, hits for average, gets on base, has enough pop to keep them honest and some speed. Jones has the loud tools, but I think he'll be traded this offseason. Rengifo will force his way into the picture at some point, but it's hard to unseat a consistent presence like Fletcher. He has to make mistakes in order for the team to look elsewhere, and the kid is solid. 

3. Knowles was always seen as the prospect that would experience more early success. He doesn't project the like Deveaux, but given that there's only 300k difference in their signing bonus, and Knowles has performed better, I'd give him the edge, but other sites may still like Deveaux better. He's the sexier pick.

4. Suarez has higher upside. 

5. Fresh eyes, I'd say he's a teenager with a strong left handed swing, future plus power and probable future LF/RF or 3B/1B. 

Also, I think a little perspective is in order with our recent high draft picks.

Adell was a one of a kind opportunity.  You don't get a chance to draft someone with that amount of athleticism and upside unless you're picking in the top five every year, and even then it might take a few years of those top five picks before you land someone with that amount of upside.  The Angels were extremely fortunate to be picking with the tenth overall pick, and were also fortunate that there still existed a degree of skepticism in Adell.  He wasn't very good as a sophomore or the first part of his junior year in high school.  Very raw, inconsistent.  Maybe a 4th round pick type.  But he ironed things out, and really bloomed the summer between his junior and senior year.  He was by far the best player on his showcase team his junior year and his showcase team was one of the best in the country.  Scouts had a hard time believing what they saw because this didn't look like the same kid at all.  His senior year came along, and he absolutely torched the high school pitching in his area, but the quality of the pitching was in question.  Teams were looking for more of a sure thing in their first round pick.  Adell definitely had the talent and upside, but scouts needed to see more.  The Angels area scout kept watching him, and then had Eppler come out and watch Adell play for his showcase team.  By this team, most teams picking ahead of the Angels had finalized their scouting reports, but Eppler and Swanson got a longer, better look at him than anyone else.  There was no doubt left in their mind that he was the kid they needed to pick.  He probably should have gone 1-1.  You don't get a chance to pick guys like that very often.

So we can't compare Adams and Adell.

Adams is your prototypical first round outfielder pick.  Teams have known about him since the summer between his sophomore and junior year.  There wasn't some sort of huge breakout of epiphany that took place.  He's been a very good performer against top high school talent for a while.  He isn't dominating the way Adell was, and generally when someone dominates like Adell did, we chalk it up as a hot streak or a fluke.  No one is THAT much better than everyone else around them.  And no one is certainly that much better and seemingly come from nowhere.  Adams was one of the better players on the showcase circuit, for a couple years and definitely should have been a first round pick.

Adell has taken minor league baseball by storm, and now teams have realized that what they thought was too good to be true, wasn't.  This kid really did develop that quickly, and really was that good.  But the read on Jordyn Adams is much more clear.  Good athletic, first rounder.  It isn't to say Jackson isn't like that, because he's good too, but Jackson is a bit of a surprise.  His issue it seems was based on a vision problem.  He corrected it with contact lenses, and was seeing the ball better, but again, teams were already finalizing their scouting reports, and most had weeks old information on Jackson.  Even with the vision issues, he was a 4th or 5th round pick, like Adell was before.  But the Angels stuck around the longest and saw a first or second round talent.  oddly enough, Keith Law happened to catch it too, which is interesting because ESPN doesn't catch much in the way of the amateur draft.

So comparing Adams and Jackson is worthwhile.  But even at his best, Jackson still wasn't rated as highly as Adams.  That isn't a knock on him, it just sort of illuminates who Adams is.  This kid is going to get a lot better.  He isn't even close to done physically maturing.  He's still a kid.  Quite a contrast with our first round pick from a year ago, because Adell was a grown-ass man the summer between his junior and senior year.  Huge.  Adams still has a few years before he's there.  Jackson might be there already.