• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

28 minutes ago, Revad said:

Confusing to me but relevant in that a player may choose to bounce a throw:  https://www.fangraphs.com/tht/the-physics-and-timing-of-the-outfield-bounce-throw/

Good link!

The basic premise is based primarily on release speed and distance to the target. Vladimir Guerrero had incredible arm strength and thus aired in all his throws pretty much no matter how far away the target was. Someone like Andrelton Simmons who also has an incredible arm has very little need to bounce the ball because of the short distances he throws so he has almost no arc from his release to the target.

However if your arm strength isn't like Big Daddy Vladdy or Simba, it can be quicker to bounce the ball on a longer distance throw based on what your release speed is. The concept has to do with the "arc" of the throw and of the secondary bounce. It is not dissimilar to "hang time" of a hit baseball. When the ball is released it takes a certain angle out of the fielders hand and wind drag and other forces slow the ball down en route to the target. If it bounces it leaves the ground generally on the same path but at a broader arc than the original release out of the fielders hand, thus taking a more "direct" path to the target.

Basically that secondary bounce is more of an answer to the question "What is the quickest path between two points?", which is a straight line (in this case still an arced path but straighter than the original throw). The chart is essentially saying that there is a limited range of sweet spot combinations of distance and release speed where bouncing the ball gets it there quicker to the target.

Baseball America chat today:

William (Pensacola, FL): 

• What is your most realistic time table for Jo Adell assuming he finishes the year in the Arizona Fall League ?

Kyle Glaser: He'll have a chance to be in the majors by the end of next season. He's tremendously talented but there are still some approach things to hammer out before he'll be ready to face big league pitching. It's all in there, just might take a little bit of time. If Adell beats the time frame though and gets up there sooner, I wouldn't be shocked

Chuck (Anaheim): 

• What is Jose Suarez’s ceiling? The numbers at AAA have been mediocre but he’s only 20. How has his velocity been holding up?

Kyle Glaser: He's sitting 91-92, touch 94 in Salt Lake as he was earlier in the year, and his ceiling is a really good No. 4 starter with a chance to put up No. 3 production in his best years. Three quality pitches, including a plus change at its best, and a good feel to pitch from a young lefty are always qualities to feel good about

Bill (Best Coast): 

• When will the Angels get some pitchers like Mike Clevinger? Sure seems like they're just intent on wasting all of Trout's and Simmons' primes waiting for Ohtani and Richards to put together healthy years

Kyle Glaser: Well they had Mike Clevinger, sooooo.....but seriously, going into any season relying on Richards, Skaggs, Heaney and Shoemaker all to remain healthy is naive, and has been for three years now. Getting the newer, fresh wave of healthy arms - Barria already up, Canning and Suarez to follow - will be critical for the Angels to take steps towards success. Relying on the aforementioned guys to year in and year out to actually stay on the mound is a terrible, terrible plan

Barrett (Maryland): 

• Alot of people on here were saying a month ago that Adell would be the pick over Royce Lewis in 2017 hindsight redraft. But Lewis just continues to hit. Is that now murkier?

Kyle Glaser: To me they are 1-2 in some order in a hindsight redraft. I wouldn't argue with you either way.

19 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Barrett (Maryland): 

• Alot of people on here were saying a month ago that Adell would be the pick over Royce Lewis in 2017 hindsight redraft. But Lewis just continues to hit. Is that now murkier?

Kyle Glaser: To me they are 1-2 in some order in a hindsight redraft. I wouldn't argue with you either way.

h_Y8_M3b_X_d.jpg

3 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Bill (Best Coast): 

• When will the Angels get some pitchers like Mike Clevinger? Sure seems like they're just intent on wasting all of Trout's and Simmons' primes waiting for Ohtani and Richards to put together healthy years

Kyle Glaser: Well they had Mike Clevinger, sooooo.....but seriously, going into any season relying on Richards, Skaggs, Heaney and Shoemaker all to remain healthy is naive, and has been for three years now. Getting the newer, fresh wave of healthy arms - Barria already up, Canning and Suarez to follow - will be critical for the Angels to take steps towards success. Relying on the aforementioned guys to year in and year out to actually stay on the mound is a terrible, terrible plan

Heaney has actually been pretty healthy throughout his career, outside of course of the TJS.    I'm not concerned about him being able to reach 180-190 innings eventually.

Richards, Skaggs, and Shoe are another story all together.    Shoe could become a rock solid late innings guy.   Skaggs has the stuff, but can't stay healthy.   Ditto to the 3rd degree for Richards, although more confident in Skaggs making it finally to 180 innings one year vs Richards  

While yes, drafting the best player is the way to go, they need PITCHING.   Whether through the draft, or trading excess position player prospects 

5 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Barrett (Maryland): 

Just checked out Lewis's numbers. They're good, but Adell's are better.

On 8/21/2018 at 8:39 AM, wopphil said:

I assume that is Adell in center? Not to rain on the Adell parade, but that arm makes Johnny Damon's look like Rick Ankiel's.

my buddy the Cards fan says ankiel is making a comeback attempt these days.

On 8/21/2018 at 10:50 AM, Blarg said:

Don't worry, he has another year in the minors to heal up before making the inevitable trip to the Jobe-Kerlan clinic, where Angels players move to the front of the line.

fifty

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Sorry I haven't been able to update much lately - had a big album release for one the groups I manage land on the same day as a store opening for the company I work for, so I've been out of the loop! Looking forward to checking out the farm soon!

You manage Ariana Grande?

6 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Jeremy Beasley  - 2.81 ERA 1.174 WHIP 2.6 BB/9 8.7 K/9 in 105.2 IP including 18 starts through three levels of the organization this season

Any info on this kid?  Legit or another Troy Scribner? 

Definitely closer to legit than to Troy Scribner. He's only 22, and in his two years since being drafted, he's posted a 2.88 ERA in 137 IP with 139 K to 42 BB. 
He's probably the fourth best SP prospect in the system behind Canning, Suarez, and Sandoval - unless you rate guys like Yan, Soriano, Rodriguez higher based on upside. 

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Definitely closer to legit than to Troy Scribner. He's only 22, and in his two years since being drafted, he's posted a 2.88 ERA in 137 IP with 139 K to 42 BB. 
He's probably the fourth best SP prospect in the system behind Canning, Suarez, and Sandoval - unless you rate guys like Yan, Soriano, Rodriguez higher based on upside. 

Interesting...haven't heard much about him, which is strange considering we are not exactly flush with legit SP prospects or it could be I didn't notice before.

He's holding his own in AA (2.82 ERA 1.096 WHIP in 38.1 IP)...between him and Sandoval we have two intriguing guys.  If Castillo and Gatto can start making some adjustment, our SP depth will look a lot better for 2019.

2 hours ago, mulwin444 said:

Jeremy Beasley  - 2.81 ERA 1.174 WHIP 2.6 BB/9 8.7 K/9 in 105.2 IP including 18 starts through three levels of the organization this season

Any info on this kid?  Legit or another Troy Scribner? 

Jeremy Beasley Scouting Report — RHP, Los Angeles Angels

http://baseballcensus.com/2018/05/29/los-angeles-angels-jeremy-beasley-scouting-report/

High three-quarters release; lacks significant downward plane or life to his fastball; no-nonsense swingman long reliever/piggyback starter who fills up the zone and throws strikes with use of a few pitches. Fastball is flat, but deep enough repertoire to see an order multiple times out of the bullpen when he’s changing speeds well … Four-seam fastball sat 92-94 in May 23 look, coupled with a 90-92 two-seamer; also showed an 83-86 slider, a 76-77 curveball, and what appeared to be an 83-86 splitter (or split change) with some hard, late tumble beyond a normal/circle changeup look. Timed 1.26 – 1.29 to the plate with runner on first base … Splitter/split-change was his go-to off-speed look against LHH; good arm action and arm speed to sell it with modest late movement and arm-side life to the pitch; will get off barrels some. Slider proved an OK secondary look the other way against RHH; throws it hard with some tilt and decent depth, and can draw weak contact. Curveball is more of a show-me to disrupt timing and occasionally eye-level; lacks great depth or sharp, late break, but may have some value depending on sequencing/usage. It’s his fastball that got hit hard in May 23 look; not enough velocity or life to prevent hitters on both sides of the plate from squaring it up consistently; Visalia did a nice job waiting out off-speed to sit on dead red and attack; even two-seam lacked significant late sink/life and too many fastballs got left over the plate without life/velo to provide margin of error … To that end, Jeremy Beasley is likely a low-leverage middle/long-relief arm at ceiling for the Los Angeles Angels. The deep repertoire is nice, and he’s got feel for throwing strikes with everything that’ll allow him to work multiple innings maybe even up into a modest swingman role, but a flat fastball without above-average velo or true wipeout off-speed stuff leaves Beasley susceptible to being exposed by better hitters at higher levels.

1 hour ago, HaloNArizona said:

Jeremy Beasley Scouting Report — RHP, Los Angeles Angels

http://baseballcensus.com/2018/05/29/los-angeles-angels-jeremy-beasley-scouting-report/

High three-quarters release; lacks significant downward plane or life to his fastball; no-nonsense swingman long reliever/piggyback starter who fills up the zone and throws strikes with use of a few pitches. Fastball is flat, but deep enough repertoire to see an order multiple times out of the bullpen when he’s changing speeds well … Four-seam fastball sat 92-94 in May 23 look, coupled with a 90-92 two-seamer; also showed an 83-86 slider, a 76-77 curveball, and what appeared to be an 83-86 splitter (or split change) with some hard, late tumble beyond a normal/circle changeup look. Timed 1.26 – 1.29 to the plate with runner on first base … Splitter/split-change was his go-to off-speed look against LHH; good arm action and arm speed to sell it with modest late movement and arm-side life to the pitch; will get off barrels some. Slider proved an OK secondary look the other way against RHH; throws it hard with some tilt and decent depth, and can draw weak contact. Curveball is more of a show-me to disrupt timing and occasionally eye-level; lacks great depth or sharp, late break, but may have some value depending on sequencing/usage. It’s his fastball that got hit hard in May 23 look; not enough velocity or life to prevent hitters on both sides of the plate from squaring it up consistently; Visalia did a nice job waiting out off-speed to sit on dead red and attack; even two-seam lacked significant late sink/life and too many fastballs got left over the plate without life/velo to provide margin of error … To that end, Jeremy Beasley is likely a low-leverage middle/long-relief arm at ceiling for the Los Angeles Angels. The deep repertoire is nice, and he’s got feel for throwing strikes with everything that’ll allow him to work multiple innings maybe even up into a modest swingman role, but a flat fastball without above-average velo or true wipeout off-speed stuff leaves Beasley susceptible to being exposed by better hitters at higher levels.

Interesting info...obviously, it's just one look for this scout and it wouldn't be the first time a pitcher out-performed his "stuff"/peripherals.

In nearly two seasons of pro balls between AZ Rookie league to AA, he's put 2.88 ERA 1.165 WHIP 2.8 BB/9 9.1 K/9 in 137.1 innings pitched so his actual performance on the field has been pretty good.  We'll see with more time in AA/AAA.