• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

6 hours ago, wopphil said:

I am not sold on Thaiss or Marsh.

Marsh is a HS draftee in high A after all of 74 minor league games...   

Not sure if the Vlad Jrs, Sotos, and Acunas, are slanting the view but -- Marsh is in a pretty solid position for a player his age and level of experience.   He's another one of those guys that didn't really focus on baseball until later in HS.

1 hour ago, TroutField said:

Canning has really struggled since his promotion. 

SLC is a rough place for anyone making a three level jump in one season.  

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

SLC’s altitude doesn’t help pitchers’ breaking pitches any, that’s for sure.   Time to use a humidor?

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865625847/Salt-Lake-Bees-Smiths-Ballpark-getting-the-Coors-Field-treatment-with-new-humidor.html

Come on, AO. It took Google half a second to tell me they did that 3 years ago

1 hour ago, arch stanton said:

Well despite that, the ball still flies outta the park, just like it still does at Coors Field.

In addition to the thin air, Salt Lake, Reno, El Paso and Colorado Springs (may be missing a couple) have spacious parks with much more ground for outfielders to cover, meaning there's more room for drinks and extra base hits -- much like Coors Field as well.

5 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Well despite that, the ball still flies outta the park, just like it still does at Coors Field.

In addition to the thin air, Salt Lake, Reno, El Paso and Colorado Springs (may be missing a couple) have spacious parks with much more ground for outfielders to cover, meaning there's more room for drinks and extra base hits -- much like Coors Field as well.

I get that. He asked if they should use a humidor and I answered

7 hours ago, arch stanton said:

I get that. He asked if they should use a humidor and I answered

Like Chuck said, judging by Suarez' and Canning's stats, it doesn't seem to do much good.    Too many balls still find holes in the big OF area.

Baseball was not meant to be played a mile above sea level.     Fences at normal distance = HRs left and right.   Fences moved well back = hits left and right. 

20 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Well, it is a tools over stats thing and Marsh has it all. Nothing stands out as truly exceptional, but he's average or better at everything: he's a good athlete who can run, throw, hit for average and with good raw power that hasn't translated yet to the field, but should.

Sounds like Cowart.

13 hours ago, arch stanton said:

AO is one of the small handful of people here I don't mind doing the legwork for, he's earned it. :D

10 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

2 HR (and 3 hits) for Jared Walsh tonight. I'm really finding him more and more intriguing.

Not in a gay way (not that there's anything wrong with that), but more in a Kole Calhoun gay-for-gingers way.

Kinda reminds me of a Trumbo career path.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Kinda reminds me of a Trumbo career path.

Could be. Trumbo was 18th round, Walsh 39th - but at that point it doesn't matter too much. Trumbo was drafted out of high school, Walsh out of college. Both similar steady advancement in the minors and on the cusp of the majors at age 24. Trumbo hit .301/.368/.577 in AAA at age 24, then .254/.291/.477 in the majors at age 25. Walsh has hit .285/.369/.546 at three levels this year at age 24; I could see him managing .260/.320/.470 in the majors next year, if given a shot.

What I don't understand about Walsh is why he started this year in A+ after hitting .331/.395/.531 as a 23-year old there last year. I mean, in the end it isn't a big deal as he'd still be in AAA now if he had started the year in AA, but it just seems odd.

14 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

What I don't understand about Walsh is why he started this year in A+ after hitting .331/.395/.531 as a 23-year old there last year. 

Probably just because he struggled in AA so much last year, and he had Thaiss, Ward, Houchins, Rojas, Carter, Johnson, Fernandez, etc all ahead of him. Our corner infield depth was crazy deep to start the year.

32 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Probably just because he struggled in AA so much last year, and he had Thaiss, Ward, Houchins, Rojas, Carter, Johnson, Fernandez, etc all ahead of him. Our corner infield depth was crazy deep to start the year.

I missed that he played in AA last year.  But the latter is probably more of a factor as he wasn't absolutely horrible in AA last year (.232/.274/.406 in only 20 games).

20 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I missed that he played in AA last year.  But the latter is probably more of a factor as he wasn't absolutely horrible in AA last year (.232/.274/.406 in only 20 games).

It makes me real curious in how Connor Justus and Brendon Sanger do from here on. They were similar in prospect stature to Walsh, and experienced similar ups and downs this year in A+ and AA. If they start hitting again in AA now that they've been promoted back up, they could become as interesting as Walsh in a hurry.

40 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I’m okay with Adell in AA to start 2019.   He can still be promoted to AAA after a couple of months, and be ready for MLB promotion in September 2019.

Sounds about right.