• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

8 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I hope the group of pitchers chosen in rounds 3-13, along with the recent Latin American additions, helps to rebuild the pitching depth in this org.   Maybe another draft like that one next June gets it done ultimately? 

It does seem like Billy's amateur scouts are doing a better job of scouting position players?

Possibly - but his pro scouts seem to be overwhelmingly better at finding pitchers. Such a stark difference seems a little strange.

I'd think it's likely that it's just harder to find good pitching, especially without top draft picks and little international money. I like the idea of trading hitting prospects for MLB pitching too, rather than the other way around, so that may also explain some of the focus.

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

I think Sandoval is now a top 10 prospect. In fact:

Adell

Marsh

Canning

Jones

Thaiss

Suarez

Adams

Jackson

Knowles

Sandoval

Sick top 10'z.

Maybe i am missing something on Marsh. Many on this list have jumped past him, with some even younger than him, yet he is #2? He is still in high A and has mediocre stats. Why is he that high? He hasn't shown himself to be rated that high.

20 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

Maybe i am missing something on Marsh. Many on this list have jumped past him, with some even younger than him, yet he is #2? He is still in high A and has mediocre stats. Why is he that high? He hasn't shown himself to be rated that high.

Well, it is a tools over stats thing and Marsh has it all. Nothing stands out as truly exceptional, but he's average or better at everything: he's a good athlete who can run, throw, hit for average and with good raw power that hasn't translated yet to the field, but should. Like Jahmai Jones, his overall line this year isn't very impressive but he's developed a previous weak area into a strength: plate discipline. 

Some scouts prefer his bat to Adell's, at least in terms of average and discipline. He's got a lot of room to develop still, and I think should eventually end up with at least 20+ HR power. This is just my take, but his upside is something like .300/.850 with 20+ HR and SB. His floor is as a fringe starter or excellent platoon player, but I think he'll at least be a solid regular.

I think Marsh is a classic grade B prospect: he has an outside chance of developing into a star, but is probably going to be an average to good regular in the major leagues. He'll spend most of next year in AA at age 21 and should continue to improve. If all goes well he could finish next year as a grade B+/A- and on the cusp of the majors.

5 hours ago, stormngt said:

Wouldnt you lose the DH if he pitched and hit?

if it were anyone other than ohtani, i'd be concerned.

but being as how it IS ohtani in this scenario, the team would lose absolutely nothing.

of course, it becomes a big problem if you remove ohtani from the mound after a couple of innings.

3 minutes ago, wopphil said:

I am not sold on Thaiss or Marsh.

They're both similar in that they are "growers" not "show-ers." They don't wow you with gaudy stats or unreal tools, but are well-rounded players who will sneak up on you. 

I think they have similar upside with the bat, but Marsh is much more of an athlete and will bring a lot to the field.

10 minutes ago, Tank said:

if it were anyone other than ohtani, i'd be concerned.

but being as how it IS ohtani in this scenario, the team would lose absolutely nothing.

of course, it becomes a big problem if you remove ohtani from the mound after a couple of innings.

That's why suggesting he starts for a couple inning like TB wouldnt work.

5 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Sandoval will be in the majors next year at some point from what I saw of him in IE

Not huge upside, but good enough stuff and he knows how to pitch

He seems to be in the Barria, Suarez, Canning mould: higher on pitchability than stuff. This usually leads to higher floors but lower ceilings.

I think Marsh is going to be really good if he can stay healthy. He was a two-sport athlete in high school and has been injured a lot. His development has been a little delayed as a result. He's still really young for the league he's in and holding his own. He's probably not going to be a Hall of Famer, but he could be a really good player. I think somewhere between Kole Calhoun and Tim Salmon is realistic. I think he's comfortably a top 3 prospect in the system.

34 minutes ago, OregonLAA said:

Is there any concern with Sandoval having short outings?

The Angels have limited the innings of every SP in the system -- I think you're seeing a new trend to have guys go shorter but go harder every time.   

Back in the early days of the Stoneman era the Angels used tandem starters, basically two SPs pitched every game.  The process then was to find the better guys and keep them as SPs and weed others out to the pen -- what's happening now is different  -- at least the motivation behind it might be.