• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

35 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I have a feeling Maitan will gradually morph into a Pablo Sandoval type, except with crappy defense at 3B and an eventual move to 1B before (if) he reaches the majors. 

He’s still holding his own at Orem as an 18 year old, which is testament to his talent. If he ever gets serious and in shape, he could skyrocket as a prospect. 

once that bonus money starts noticiably dwindling I suspect we’ll see a new and suddenly serious fellow.  

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Is Maitan a huge disappointment going forward?   Or is the weight gain just one of those things to expect from a teenager? 

I think it’s just too early to say.  He’s only 18.  The BA report a few posts back say he came into camp at 222.  Apparently he’s down to 190 now.  And he’s hitting better.  Surprise.  This guy apparently has elite tools.  He’s gotta do the work.  We’ll see. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Is Maitan a huge disappointment going forward?   Or is the weight gain just one of those things to expect from a teenager? 

Flashes of brilliance followed by periods of mediocrity. Being 18, he should be fine but as he gets older he should learn consistency (hopefully with the former rather than the latter).

His bat is obviously going to determine everything. I think it’s very obvious he won’t be an elite defender ever and he’d have to work hard at it to even become “good” or “solid” defensively. 

If he produces offensively, it won’t matter that much though. They’ll find a spot for him. Whether it’s at 1st base, 3rd base, or even DH...he’ll get his chances if he can hit

My main concern with him right now is he hasn’t shown much improvement offensively since he came stateside. 

I don't really think the weight is going to be that big if an issue for the next decade. I mean yeah he gained something like 45 lbs between age 16 and 18, but then he lost 30 of it.

Even when he was 16, there were questions as to whether he'd stick at SS or need to move to 3B. Once he was over 220 lbs, it was fair to wonder if he plays 3B or 1B. Now that he's back to 190 and still not fielding particularly well at short, he'll make the shift to 3B next year.

He should stay around 190-200 lbs going forward as it appears his body has matured. He may get heavier but as long as that weight is muscle and not fat, I doubt anyone complains.

At the end of the day, Kevin needs to hit, that's about it. He's better this year than he was last year, and he'll likely be better next year than this year at age 19. 

I still feel like his true breakout won't come until his age 20 season. Whether he explodes and goes from A Ball to AA or Advanced A Ball to AA, won't matter so much. I think Maitan will be major league ready in 2021, at age 21.

18 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

His bat is obviously going to determine everything. I think it’s very obvious he won’t be an elite defender ever and he’d have to work hard at it to even become “good” or “solid” defensively. 

If he produces offensively, it won’t matter that much though. They’ll find a spot for him. Whether it’s at 1st base, 3rd base, or even DH...he’ll get his chances if he can hit

My main concern with him right now is he hasn’t shown much improvement offensively since he came stateside. 

He’s got a huge arm, so if he can manage his footwork and learn the position he should have an opportunity to be a solid defensive 3B. 

11 hours ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

If the Angels get rid of Blash, they will regret it.

A small market team with little power in their lineup will give him a shot, and he will produce.

It may require fixing his swing, but I think it will happen. Blash is putting up huge numbers in SLC despite his swing.

He has to change his swing, similar to the way Ohtani did. Keep the front toe on the ground.  It would be a shame if Blash is unable to be a major leaguer because he doesn't want to make that adjustment.

It's worth pointing out he has excellent plate discipline.

bong GIF

7 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Used to be a FB that sat around 90-92 and touched 94 -- he had a cutter, not sure he's still throwing it.   IMO his slider was his best pitch and he used to tinker with a change.     He had really wonky mechanics when they first drafted him -- they shifted him to the pen last year and he was awful before making a total 180 this year.  Maybe Scotty or Doc can say if his stuff has played up since being moved to the pen full time.

Saw some 96 from Rhoades the other night.  Not sure if the gun was a little hot.  From what I understand it's been playing up like that all year.  Slider looked more slurvy to me.  He threw a few pitches in the 85-87mph range.  Not sure what that was.  Had arm side movement.  maybe a change.  Seemed a little firm for that but not firm enough for a cutter.  Last time I saw him was last thursday when he went 2ip and whiffed 4.  Probably the best I've seen him look.  Stuff looked like it could get major leaguers out.     

RE: Maitan.  

I'm gonna try to forget what was said of him as being the best Latin prospect in his class and the next Miggy.  

He's a talented intl project with potential make up issues.  I saw him play earlier this year and he looked quite good at the plate.  Handling at bats well.  Making some nice plays at SS even.  

I would be surprised if he got back to 190 though.  Certainly looks bigger than that to me.  maybe 200-205.  

Maybe it's just his way, but he does give off sort of an 'I'm bored' vibe.  

Didn't see that weird front knee bend and hand loop with the arm bar from the left side.  

Some guys move well and look athletic even when they're carrying a little extra.  He didn't.  His feet look heavy.  I guess it's what most scouts would call 'quick twitch'.  He didn't seem to have it.  Kind of like Grant Green.  Some of that could be a guy going from 16yo to 18yo and gaining 45+lbs with most of it being baby fat.  Maybe he's just trying to find his fighting weight.  

Last night...

• Rengifo: 1-2, RBI, BB, CS, Thaiss: 1-3, 2B, R, Ward: 2-3, 2B, RBI
  • Jahmai Jones: 2-5, RBI, .349 in last 10 games, AA slash up to a solid .264/.355/.406/.761
  • Jack Kruger still at it: 2-4, Brandon Sandoval: 2-4, R, RBI, K
  • Jesus Castillo: 3 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, BB, 2 K - pitching much better lately with much shorter appearances. Maybe building him towards a multi-inning reliever, or putting him on a Santana-esque plan where he only pitches x number of innings/pitches regardless of how well he’s throwing 
  • Greg Mahle: 2 IP, 3 K, 1.78 ERA, .185 BAA in 35.1 IP at AA, and a 8.27 ERA, .306 BAA in 20.2 AAA IP 
  • Torii Jr: 0-3, BB, 2 SB (24), Rivas: 2-4, R, 2B, K, Martinez: 2-4, R, 2B, K
  • Michael Santos: 5 IP, 4 H, ER, 3 K - in 14 G, 4GS, 41.2 IP, 3.24 ERA, .192 BA, 1.10 WHIP with 18 BB, 47 K - plucked from Giants org
  • Anfernee Benitez: 1.1 IP, 2 BB, K - in 26 G, 51.1 IP, 3.68 ERA, .214 BAA, 1.40 WHIP with 31 BB, 57 K, only 1 HR allowed, plucked from Diamondbacks org
  • Eduardo del Rosario: 2.2 IP, 0 H, BB, 5 K - in 24 G, 48.2 IP, 3.33 ERA, .227 BAA, 1.34 WHIP with 24 BB, 61 K, plucked from the Twins org
  • Deveaux: 0-3, R, 2 BB, SB (5)
  • Ty Buttrey: IP, 3 K
  • After getting torched in his first couple appearances, Sunday leaguer Cristia Reyes has rebounded, last two games: 3 IP, 2 H, 4 BB, 5 K
  • Jose Quezada: 4-4, RBI, BB, SB (17), Jose Reyes: 2-4, R, 2B, BB
  • 17-yr old Raider Uceta: 1-4, HR (2), 2 RBI 

11 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Saw some 96 from Rhoades the other night.  Not sure if the gun was a little hot.  From what I understand it's been playing up like that all year.  Slider looked more slurvy to me.  He threw a few pitches in the 85-87mph range.  Not sure what that was.  Had arm side movement.  maybe a change.  Seemed a little firm for that but not firm enough for a cutter.  Last time I saw him was last thursday when he went 2ip and whiffed 4.  Probably the best I've seen him look.  Stuff looked like it could get major leaguers out.     

What was he getting the K's on?  

slow night in the minors.  only four games.  two of which were days games.  

dsl lost 9-0 and now at 18-38.  Uceta still holding his own with a .766 ops in 122 ab.  

Kelvin Moncion, 19yo, pitched a couple innings and gave up an unearned run.  he's got 47 k now in 39.2ip and a 2.27 era.  He and Samuel Perez 18yo(19ip, 19k, 0.47 era), Jenry Gonzalez -just turned 17 in june (35ip, 32k, 2.83 era) have been the few bright spots on the pitching side.  

on the hitting side it's been Uceta (who is still 17) and Kendy Moya 19yo S/R playing everywhere.  mostly at 3b.  .806 ops with a .424 obp due 35bb/31k in 136 pa.  Jose Guzman 17yo SS, S/R.  .770 ops with 16bb in 100 ab.