• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

34 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

would be nice to have Jerez up as our LOOGY so we can save Alvarez for an actual set-up role facing whomever despite the matchups

We have desperately needed a second lefty for the pen, so I have to imagine starting next year, we'll have them both as LHP options for us.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/fangraphs-audio-eric-longenhagens-prospect-road-trip/

For those interested in podcasts, here's a Fangraphs Audio podcast with Eric Longenhagen where they go into a little of the Angels system depth. They discuss Fletcher, Ward, Rengifo, Thaiss, Deaveaux, and the general development system. It's not any in depth scouting takes but it's a nice listen. It's about 10 minutes in. It's only about 5 minutes of Angels stuff so if you only care about that, then skip the beginning and quit listening after.

2 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Thanks for the link but your number is way off...Angels talk starts at around 27 minutes in. Before that there’s a lot of rambling on orange wine, roadrunners, Baltimore, etc.

Thanks. Sometimes my timing counter on my phone doesn't move.

5 hours ago, eaterfan said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/fangraphs-audio-eric-longenhagens-prospect-road-trip/

For those interested in podcasts, here's a Fangraphs Audio podcast with Eric Longenhagen where they go into a little of the Angels system depth. They discuss Fletcher, Ward, Rengifo, Thaiss, Deaveaux, and the general development system. It's not any in depth scouting takes but it's a nice listen. It's about 10 minutes in. It's only about 5 minutes of Angels stuff so if you only care about that, then skip the beginning and quit listening after.

most of the discussions revolves around whether those players have undergone recent swing changes and how that has helped their success.  They mentioned fletcher as not, yet he himself claimed adjustments this last winter and spring.  

Ward and Thaiss have for the better.    

Rengifo they also mentioned as someone who hadn't but I might disagree.  His contact rate has gone way up.  

For Deveaux they mentioned it having a negative effect so far.  I just don't like that feet close together thing.  Although, I will say that maybe the halos are trying to unlock more coil and lower half.  And when they see that, they'll slowly widen his base again.  who knows.  

I'm a bit worred about Deveaux. I know he's only 18 and they're working with his swing, but his numbers are really bad - 47 Ks in 29 games is just awful. His regression in a variety of ways is reminiscent of Maitan, where I wonder if the early scouting was just wrong. Hopefully both of those guys will start showing signs of life and take a big step forward next year.

In another topic, I'm guessing Patrick Sandoval won't be long for A+.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'm a bit worred about Deveaux. I know he's only 18 and they're working with his swing, but his numbers are really bad - 47 Ks in 29 games is just awful. His regression in a variety of ways is reminiscent of Maitan, where I wonder if the early scouting was just wrong. Hopefully both of those guys will start showing signs of life and take a big step forward next year.

In another topic, I'm guessing Patrick Sandoval won't be long for A+.

From Fangraphs...
I think he needs at least a year to 'catch up' 

13. Trent Deveaux, OF
Signed: July 2nd Period, 2017 from Bahamas
Age 17 Height 6’2 Weight 160 Bat/Throw R/R
Tool Grades (Present/Future)
Hit Raw Power Game Power Run Fielding Throw
20/45 30/50 20/45 70/70 40/55 45/55

Signed for $1.2 million out of the Bahamas, Deveaux is a projectable 6-foot-2, has plus speed, and exhibits precocious feel for center field. His bat speed is fringey and his swing is a bit long. That said, it has some natural loft, and Deveaux has time to grow into his body. There’s pretty considerable hit and power projection here because of the frame.

Deveaux isn’t as advanced as some of his J2 2017 peers, neither physically nor from a baseball standpoint, but there’s already lots to like here. The frame, athleticism, speed, and defensive profile are all very promising.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/top-20-prospects-los-angeles-angels/

10 minutes ago, HaloNArizona said:

From Fangraphs...
I think he needs at least a year to 'catch up' 

13. Trent Deveaux, OF
Signed: July 2nd Period, 2017 from Bahamas
Age 17 Height 6’2 Weight 160 Bat/Throw R/R
Tool Grades (Present/Future)
Hit Raw Power Game Power Run Fielding Throw
20/45 30/50 20/45 70/70 40/55 45/55

Signed for $1.2 million out of the Bahamas, Deveaux is a projectable 6-foot-2, has plus speed, and exhibits precocious feel for center field. His bat speed is fringey and his swing is a bit long. That said, it has some natural loft, and Deveaux has time to grow into his body. There’s pretty considerable hit and power projection here because of the frame.

Deveaux isn’t as advanced as some of his J2 2017 peers, neither physically nor from a baseball standpoint, but there’s already lots to like here. The frame, athleticism, speed, and defensive profile are all very promising.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/top-20-prospects-los-angeles-angels/

Until they fix his Jabari Blash swing, he's going to suck at the plate. 

Last night...a lot of games:

• Rengifo: 0-5, struggling perhaps the first time this year, hitting .209 last 10 games. 
  • Thaiss: 1-5, 2 K, Ward: 2-4, 2 K, Walsh: 1-2, HR (2 in SLC; 23 in '18), 2 RBI, Hudson: 1-3, HR (3), 2 RBI
  • Jones: 2-5, 2 R, 2B, 2 K, now hitting .390 in last 10 games, slashing .250/.355/.370/.725. At AA, 7 XBH, 15 BB, 5-5 in SB attempts in 23 games
  • Brennon Lund with his second 4-5 game in three days; a solid '18 slash of .266/.345/.404/.749 with 31 XBH, 21-26 in SB attempts. He's likely creeping into 4th OF depth as early as '19
  • Baldoquin: 2-4, 2B, HR (1), 2 RBI; inflated a bit by an .800 A+ OPS, he has a .283/.336/.394/.729 slash on the year. 
  • Marsh: 0-4, Julial Leon: 2-4, 2 HR (9), 3 RBI
  • David MacKinnon: 2-4, HR (2) - between Burlington and IE, he's slashing .255/.395/.332/.727 with 70 walks to 82 strikeouts
  • Jorge Tavarez: 2.1 IP, H, 4 K - between Burlington and IE, in 30 G/63.2 IP (multi-inning RP): 2.54 ERA, .227 BAA, 1.19 WHIP, 1 HR allowed, 23 walks, 76 strikeouts
  • Torii Jr: 1-4, 2 R, BB, 2 K, Orlando Martinez: 3-5, 2 2B, 2 RBI
  • Leonardo Rivas: 3-5, a single short of the cycle, 2B, 3B, HR (4), with 2 RBI
  • Denny Brady with a second solid start: 5 IP, 3 H, ER, 2 BB, 6 K
  • Jeremiah Jackson: 0-4, 2 K, Jordyn Adams: 0-4, K, Kevin Maitan: 0-3, BB, 2 K
  • D'Shawn Knowles: 2-4, 2 R, RBI, 2 K, OF assist (home)
  • Nonie Williams seems to be trying to fight: hitting .225 in his last 10 games, which is sadly one of the better stretches he's had.
  • Cole Duensing rocked again: 3 IP, 10 H, 7 ER, BB, 3 K, now 0-8 with an 11.73 ERA on the year and a career ERA of 8.97 in 87.1 IP
  • Jose Quezada: 3-4, R, 3B, 3 RBI - slashing .277/.359/.372/.731 in DSL; 23 BB, 36 K, in 191 AB
  • Raider Uceta has a nice slash too - .300/.339/.445/.784 with 13 XBH in 110 AB - he's only 17

Crazy game In Ogden. Orem and Ogden tied 4-4 going into extra innings. Orem scores 1 in the top of the 10th, Ogden replies. 5-5 going into the 11th. Orem scores runs and Ogden replies with...4 runs. Now 9-9 going into the 12th. Orem pounds 6 runs out, Ogden replies 3. Final score, 15-12.

Went to the game in IE tonight.  Not a bad stadium at all.  Great place to see a game.  Went a little late in the season, as most of the top prospects there have been moved up.  But Sandoval pitched very well.  5.1 IP with only 1 hit allowed.  4 BB's, but he wasn't really wild or anything.  He was around the zone for the most part.

Picked a bad day to see Marsh.  He had a rough game... 3 weak groundouts, a K on a ball in the dirt, and botched a play in center.