• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

18 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Hands low, bat stays through the zone, super twitchy...   He's fun.  Knowles has some really nice straight line acceleration as well.  Not a lot of wasted movement up the baseline.

was thinking I'd like to see him set his hands a bit higher.  

Knowles uppercut is interesting.  Actually getting a bit of a figgy vibe from him.  

I like Adams swing as well.  

4 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

was thinking I'd like to see him set his hands a bit higher.  

Knowles uppercut is interesting.  Actually getting a bit of a figgy vibe from him.  

I like Adams swing as well.  

I think they likely do end up moving his hands up to try to create more of a loop and uppercut -- it's the current rage.  But he's got a nice plane and that bat head is in the zone a long time even with as quick as his bat is... look at how long he's through the hitting zone despite how short the swing is, thats a lot of explosiveness.    I've always liked guys that kept the bat through the zone because they tend to learn to inside out pitches quicker than others and there are obvious benefits to plate coverage.

Edited by Inside Pitch

4 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I think they likely do end up moving his hands up to try to create more of a loop and uppercut -- it's the current rage.  But he's got a nice plane and that bat head is in the zone a long time even with as quick as his bat is... look at how long he's through the hitting zone despite how short the swing is, thats a lot of explosiveness.    I've always liked guys that kept the bat through the zone because they tend to learn to inside out pitches quicker than others and there are obvious benefits to plate coverage.

yep.  the most obvious I can think of is Albert.  His bat was in the zone forever.  I wouldn't change his swing plane much though.  knob to ball or drag through the zone.  always remember being taught that.  you can definitely see why he's had early success.  

my friend and roommate in college would go from metal bats to playing in the cape cod league.  he told me that it took most players about 50-75 pa to get used to the timing difference because you have to trigger much earlier with a wood bat. 

very impressive for some of these kids to get off a plane, walk on a field at 18 years old and start raking.   

28 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

yep.  the most obvious I can think of is Albert.  His bat was in the zone forever.  I wouldn't change his swing plane much though.  knob to ball or drag through the zone.  always remember being taught that.  you can definitely see why he's had early success.  

I almost made the Albert comparison myself but figured someone would misread that to mean something else.  But yeah -- AP's one of the best examples.  BTW --  my Dad used to drop the knob to ball line 24/7 while throwing to me as a kid.   You totally triggered a memory just now -- a good one.   

7 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

owlz are 13-32.  yeesh.  allowing 8.14 runs/game before giving up 20 today.  

I wonder how much team records matter relative to the strength of farm systems.  Because our lower levels are terrible.  

DSL 15-33

AZL 10-24

Orem 13-32

Burlington 41-63

what does that mean if anything?  

You guys know way more than me. But i wouldnt put too much into it. Havent our upper levels been pretty good the last 2 years? But what standout guys have we called up from them?

15 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

owlz are 13-32.  yeesh.  allowing 8.14 runs/game before giving up 20 today.  

I wonder how much team records matter relative to the strength of farm systems.  Because our lower levels are terrible.  

DSL 15-33

AZL 10-24

Orem 13-32

Burlington 41-63

what does that mean if anything?  

Historically, they don't.  There are a lot of factors in play, organizations aren't consistent in how they assemble or promote their teams/players.  Age plays into it and some teams just put a lot more emphasis on a player's personal growth than they do winning.   Teams that limit the type and number of pitches they let guys throw tend to see really nutty win loss records as well.

We are still so early in the reinventing of our farm system too.... I think that plays big here, particularly in the Dominican league.

Mike Trout has continually demonstrated that having the best player does not result in winning.

So yeah, we've got some pretty good prospects on each team, but if they are surrounded by utter crap it won't matter.

Having said that, those mediocre prospects don't make it to the major leagues anyway. So we're still good.

And look at this way, would you rather your team in A Ball have a .400 winning pct but have Mike Trout or a .700 winning pct and have a bunch of future AAAA players? 

That’s because they’ve been so position player focused in the draft with key picks.

Will they start going after pitchers in the first two rounds going forward?   Or begin to trade position player prospects for pitching prospects?

Pitching wins championships (at least post-season appearances).

9 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

That’s because they’ve been so position player focused in the draft with key picks.

Will they start going after pitchers in the first two rounds going forward?   Or begin to trade position player prospects for pitching prospects?

Pitching wins championships (at least post-season appearances).

Didn't they start going after pitchers in this years draft? 

Just now, greginpsca said:

Didn't they start going after pitchers in this years draft? 

They did, in rounds 3-13, and that is a good beginning to build depth.   Now they need to find a stronger pitching prospect or two, either by selecting another one in either round 1 or 2 next season and/or by trading a position player prospect or two.  

I like the Angel's draft strategy. Pitchers are harder to project and get injured more. Neither the Cubs nor the Astros, the last two WS champions, built their rotation through the draft. The Braves spent a lot of draft capital on pitching and they are improving, but it's because of their position players coming through their system, not their young home grown pitchers. I think the Angels are much better off drafting the best players and then signing pitchers, or trading for them when they are needed. 

Like all things, draft strategy requires balance.

There's basically only one wrong way to build a minor league system, and that's the way Dipoto does it, which means draft high floor, low upside pitchers, and have no international presence whatsoever, and then trade anything of value you develop. He screwed the Mariners this year because they need rotation help and he has no prospects left that anyone wants.

Remember the Angels being in that position? It was like that for a solid three years, especially after Eppler traded Dipoto's last draft picks for Andrelton Simmons (brilliant move it turns out).

Literally, any other strategy will work.

Our strategy to draft low floor but extremely high upside outfielders has been a breath of fresh air after the Dipoto debacles. But that draft strategy has included a small measure of balance. 

Eppler's first year they grabbed an athletic OF in the second round, but that came after a safe pick in the first round at 1B with Matt Thaiss. Eppler's second draft started with Jo Adell, but was followed by Griffin Canning, which was lucky and brilliant all at the same time. This year started with another OF in Jordyn Adams, but was followed by Jeremiah Jackson, a middle infielder, which looks like a good pick so far. And even after that, they chased upside arms in the following rounds.

I'd like to see the Angels target a couple more Griffin Canning or Chris Rodriguez types early on in the upcoming drafts.

And as far as international goes, as long as you stay within the budget, and only exceed it in the case of a Vlad Guerrero type, you're fine.