• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

10 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

So Jeremiah Jackson > Jordyn Adams? Or too early to tell?

So far Jackson is showing good bat skills and that power/speed combo that Adell has shown us thus far. 

Either way, color me excited. 

Jackson so far is showing surprising power for an 18 year-old (9 XBH's but only 4 BBs in 67 at bats), while Adams is showing more of the plate discipline (9 BBs but only 3 XBH's in 53 at bats).   Both are very intriguing, to say the least. 

The past 4 drafts have seen pretty solid 1st/2nd round results, granted nothing at the MLB level yet.

2015:  Ward and Jones,  2016:  Thaiss and Marsh,  2017:  Adell and Canning,  2018:  Adams and Jackson 

We haven't had a chance to assess a first and second round prospects from the same draft in quite a few years.

When the Angels took Jones in the second, he was a prep OF and Ward who was picked in the first was a collegiate catcher. Canning was a collegiate pitcher and Adell was a prep OF.

Granted Jackson and Adams play different positions, but we can at least compare the AB's. Jackson is clearly the better hitter, though Adams shows more patience.

I think a better comp for Adams is Deveaux and a better comp for Jackson would be Maitan.

Also, kudos to the Angels scouts on Jeremiah Jackson. He had a terrible showing early in showcase tourneys. Over complicated swing, and overmatched by the level of competition. Whereas Adams did very well in those which propelled his first round status.

Jackson didn't figure it out until later this year, but by then many teams had already finalized their assessments. Even geographically close teams seemed to think he was more of a 4th round project than a second round steal.

But those late season performances weren't just a good game here and there. It was a monster game every showing with tons of power. 

I think fortunately, the Angels probably hadn't finalized their draft board and ended up getting a player with incredible present ability and upside in the second round.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

So Jeremiah Jackson > Jordyn Adams? Or too early to tell?

So far Jackson is showing good bat skills and that power/speed combo that Adell has shown us thus far. 

Either way, color me excited. 

Yep -- too early and luckily they have both.

Jackson is a neat story in the sense that he's both physically raw (maybe not raw but skinny), and somewhat advanced mechanically.  Dude was a varsity starter from 7th grade on, he won two State titles in HS, granted the state was Alabama, so it's not exactly a baseball hotbed but he's been pretty committed to baseball.   There were a few publications that had the Angels connected to Jackson for a long time.  I think it's possible they saw enough of him before and after he had his eyes checked and added the glasses to buy into his spike in performance being driven by the improvement in his vision.

I think there is more projection and possible upside with Adams in part because he's nowhere near as experienced as Jackson .... he didn't really make baseball a priority until his senior year but... so far so good with both guys.   In the short term I think it's likely we see more performance from Jackson but it may all even out as the physical tools and experience comes into play.

Like you, excited about both.

On July 26, 2018 at 11:55 AM, totdprods said:

He automatically becomes our 3rd best SP prospect and really isn't far behind Suarez depending on how the rest of '18 and first part of '19 goes.

for Martin Maldonado

On July 26, 2018 at 5:39 PM, Angelsjunky said:

I have depths of dorkiness, just in select areas. I know who flies Slave One and what "hit points" and "adamantium" are, but not "MUTO."

wtf are you guys talking about?

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Their lack of interaction with women.

55 minutes ago, Lou said:

that'll change once they touch a boob or 3 

Are you referring to the mammary glands of the female gender that contain sac-like structures called lobules that produce nutritional milk for their offspring?

Orem had a big day.  

Maitan 2/6, 2b.  and NO errors.  (he played 3b).  

Tim Millard 2/3, hr, bb.  .929 ops with 20bb/23k.  I used to get all excited by the college guy at orem but now I force myself to wait until the next year.  would like to see him and Menendez get promoted to burlington prior to seasons end.  

Nonie 3/6, two 2b.  would be really nice if something clicks for him.  still thing the switch to being a Rhed hitter only is worth being patient on.  

5 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Orem had a big day.  

Maitan 2/6, 2b.  and NO errors.  (he played 3b).  

Tim Millard 2/3, hr, bb.  .929 ops with 20bb/23k.  I used to get all excited by the college guy at orem but now I force myself to wait until the next year.  would like to see him and Menendez get promoted to burlington prior to seasons end.  

Nonie 3/6, two 2b.  would be really nice if something clicks for him.  still thing the switch to being a Rhed hitter only is worth being patient on.  

Soto had 3 hits and is up to .307 on the season now. 

To your point about Millard, I totally agree. Roberto Lopez is a prime example. College draftee that just destroyed the Pioneer League, especially home games in Orem. He batted .400 with a slugging pct. close to .700 if I remember correctly. 

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

Soto had 3 hits and is up to .307 on the season now. 

To your point about Millard, I totally agree. Roberto Lopez is a prime example. College draftee that just destroyed the Pioneer League, especially home games in Orem. He batted .400 with a slugging pct. close to .700 if I remember correctly. 

every year there's some college sr who crushes.  

remember Mike Fish?  or Brandon Decker? 

Lopez ended up halfway decent in aa/aaa actually.  I remember thinking he should be called up at one point.  just looked.  He's still in the mexican league at age 32.  

remember some of the other guys we used to get excited about?  

Stephen Marek, Bobby Mosebach, Hainley Statia,  Chris Petit, Ryan Mount, Trevor Bell, David Herndon, Bobby Cassevah, PJ Phillips, Jeremy Moore, Ryan Brasier, Robert Fish, etc

I remember being on the Gabe Jacobo bandwagon and then we released him for some unknown reason.  

48 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

every year there's some college sr who crushes.  

remember Mike Fish?  or Brandon Decker? 

Lopez ended up halfway decent in aa/aaa actually.  I remember thinking he should be called up at one point.  just looked.  He's still in the mexican league at age 32.  

remember some of the other guys we used to get excited about?  

Stephen Marek, Bobby Mosebach, Hainley Statia,  Chris Petit, Ryan Mount, Trevor Bell, David Herndon, Bobby Cassevah, PJ Phillips, Jeremy Moore, Ryan Brasier, Robert Fish, etc

I remember being on the Gabe Jacobo bandwagon and then we released him for some unknown reason.  

I remember every single one of those guys.

Ryant Mount was going to be a power hitting 2B. Jeremy Moore's power speed combo was enticing. Robert Fish was a lefty that could reach back and touch 96.

I'll also add two names to this mix that I thought would be better.

1. Luis Jimenez

2. Travis Witherspoon