• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

4 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Adell = Eddie Murphy

Thaiss = Frank Stallone

Marsh = Frank Stallone with gay hair

Canning = Judge Reinhold

Jones = Black Powers Boothe

Suarez = Frank Stallone 

germans love frank stallone!

Pretty solid projection out here, here are mine:

Adell-            Ceiling- a Young Matt Kemp

Possible outcome- 270/355/550 with 30+ home run 

Floor- Melvin Upton

Canning-    Mccullers Jr or Bauer

Possible Outcome:  160+ inning/3.50 Era/ 1.15ish whip 

Floor: A 3 that can eat iinngings

Jones-    Jonathan Schoop, with less power but higher BB rate

Possible outcome:  270/340/450     15+ home run power

Floor- Utl 

Marsh - A left handed Jayson Werth

Possible outcome: Jay Bruce

Floor 4th Of

Suarez - He an interesting pieces, that's a bit hard to figure out. 

Patrick Corbin

Possible outcome: Jason Vargas

Floor- a reliever

Ward- Martin Prado

Possible outcome-?

Floor - Back up 3rd, 1st and C 

29 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Pretty solid projection out here, here are mine:

Adell-            Ceiling- a Young Matt Kemp

Possible outcome- 270/355/550 with 30+ home run 

Floor- Melvin Upton

Canning-    Mccullers Jr or Bauer

Possible Outcome:  160+ inning/3.50 Era/ 1.15ish whip 

Floor: A 3 that can eat iinngings

Jones-    Jonathan Schoop, with less power but higher BB rate

Possible outcome:  270/340/450     15+ home run power

Floor- Utl 

Marsh - A left handed Jayson Werth

Possible outcome: Jay Bruce

Floor 4th Of

Suarez - He an interesting pieces, that's a bit hard to figure out. 

Patrick Corbin

Possible outcome: Jason Vargas

Floor- a reliever

Ward- Martin Prado

Possible outcome-?

Floor - Back up 3rd, 1st and C 

I used Vargas and Kemp as comps before. They seem as solid guesses as any.

Last night's highlights and updates...

• Taylor Ward is now hitting .513 in his last 10 games (20-39) and .381 in 113 SLC at-bats
  • Luis Rengifo returned to action, 0-3, with 2 walks - that's 48 on the year vs. 36 strikeouts. His combined AA/AAA OBP is .437
  • Jack Kruger is on fire - 3 for 4, now hitting .383 in AA and .310 on the year. 
  • Jared Walsh hit HR #21 - no Angel minor-leaguer had more than 15 last year
  • Jesus Castillo had a nice start - 6 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 5 K - in his last 3 starts, he's allowed a .190 BAA and 0.96 WHIP
  • Plucked from the Padres org, Adrian De Horta made his Orem debut - 4 IP, 4 hits, 0 runs, 0 walks, 3 strikeouts
  • Kevin Maitan 0-5
  • UDFA Matt Leon's first 5 pro games: 10.2 IP, 5 hits, 0 runs, 2 walks, 17 strikeouts
  • Jordyn Adams - 1-4 with a triple, a walk, and 3 K's

1 hour ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

If Canning and Ward were on the Yankees they would be starters in the futures game.

It would be nice if they got more attention, but I keep hearing this trope that makes it seem like Yankees prospects don't deserve the hype. They've turned out more talent in the last 3 seasons than the Angels have in the last decade outside of Trout. Judge, Andujar, Torres, Severino, Sanchez. None of them are Trout, but they all sure lived up to/exceeded the hype surrounding them. 

57 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

It would be nice if they got more attention, but I keep hearing this trope that makes it seem like Yankees prospects don't deserve the hype. They've turned out more talent in the last 3 seasons than the Angels have in the last decade outside of Trout. Judge, Andujar, Torres, Severino, Sanchez. None of them are Trout, but they all sure lived up to/exceeded the hype surrounding them. 

East Coast Bias leads to West Coast Butthurt.

2 hours ago, eaterfan said:

The Yankee and Red Sox bias in prospects still very much exists, but with more information it isn't as present as it once was.

It's mostly just hype that surrounds these guys. Writing about them generates page views because their fans read that. Angels fans are fewer, and aren't as diehard so they don't read a lot of these.

Those are all solid players you listed. No questioning that. But the amount of ink spilled on them would lead one to believe these guys were all can't miss prospects.

Judge would either be great or a bust, there was never any in-between with him. As s prospect, there's wasn't much separating him and Dylan Cozens. They hit big with him though, but he was never a sure thing.

The book is yet to be written on Andujar. Good power, and he can use the entire field which is impressive. But he lacks plate discipline and his defense leaves a lot to be desired. Once pitchers adjust, he might be a bust. Of course, it helps hitting in that deep lineup. He should be well protected and get plenty of pitches to hit.

Gleyber Torres was always going to be very good. The difference is, as a Cub, he was ranked in the 40's, once he's dealt to New York, he's ranked #3. He didn't improve by leaps and bounds, but the amount of information on him did.

The Yankees are excellent at what they do. They draft and develop prospects as good as any other team and teams are good at this stuff. The only difference is the people that write about them.

So yes, the Yanks are overrated, but not by major league teams. Just guys that write about them.

Yeah, but part of the reason that Torres went from #41 before 2016 to #5 before 2017 is that not only did he continue to play well in A+ at age 19, he absolutely destroyed the AFL after the 2016 season, hitting .403/.513/.645. That said, a portion of that bump is definitely the Yankees effect, just not all of it - and probably not most of it. My guess is that if he had remained a Cub he still would have ranked in the 10-20 range.

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Yeah, but part of the reason that Torres went from #41 before 2016 to #5 before 2017 is that not only did he continue to play well in A+ at age 19, he absolutely destroyed the AFL after the 2016 season, hitting .403/.513/.645. That said, a portion of that bump is definitely the Yankees effect, just not all of it - and probably not most of it. My guess is that if he had remained a Cub he still would have ranked in the 10-20 range.

Nolan Arenado posted considerably more impressive numbers in A+ ball and the Arizona Fall League, as well as a better defensive profile and larger, more powerful frame.

After his impressive showing at both levels, he was ranked 40th.

So the difference between Arenado, likely the best third baseman in baseball playing for Colorado and Gleyber Torres a good second baseman (its such a deep position) playing in New York is 40 spots on a top prospect list.

Your guess is being a Yankee resulted in 5-20 spots higher than he normally would've been. Evidence suggests it's more like 40 or so.

Being a Yankee takes good prospects that are fringe 100 and turns them into top 50-ish.

Again, not undercutting their prospects because Gleyber Torres is going to be a very productive player for a long time, and their recent run of prospect success speaks for itself.

But the false hype is more considerable than I think you're crediting it with. 

I think it's fair to say that if Jahmai Jones, Brandon Marsh and Griffin Canning were all Yankees, they'd be up there with Jo Adell in the rankings.

Maybe I am underselling the NY hype, although I would split the difference and say it isn't as much as you are saying but probably more than I am saying (e.g. Gleyber would have ranked higher than 41 in 2017 if he had stayed with the Cubs...not #5, but certainly at least 20-30ish).

But here's the thing, Scotty: you aren't accounting for your own and Angel fan bias in general. I don't think Baseball America, Sickels, etc, underrate Angels prospects (and West Coast prospects in general) as much as we tend to overrate our own. On average, and usually. There are cases where the "generalists" don't catch rising prospects as quickly as we do...and I give you credit for saying for years now that the Angels farm was much better than it was being given credit for, but would take a couple years to gain notice. 

Sometimes it is hard to tell whether we're overrating or general analysts haven't caught on yet. A good case in point is Luis Rengifo. I think your argument would hold that if he were a Yankee some would be talking about Alfonso Soriano with walks. Certainly it is hard to imagine how a 21-year old middle infielder with a .950+ OPS in AA isn't a top 100 prospect. It is hard to deny his performance, but why aren't analysts talking about him yet? Are they slow on the uptake because he's an Angel or do they think his stats are inflated relative to his actual tools? Ultimately we don't know how good he'll be, but maybe the truth is somewhere in between? 

Yankee prospects were for many years overrated so much so they've become underrated.....  They underwent a significant change, first in the early 90s then again after Steinbrenner passed away.   The greatest strength of their system is the sheer number of players who rate out as maybes...  They were also smart enough to invest in Latin America before the rules changed.