• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Last night's highlights...

• Taylor Ward, 4-4 with 3 doubles - now hitting .462 in last 10 games, and .367/.435/.606/1.041 in 109 AAA at-bats.
  • Jose Suarez: 4 IP, 7 H, 3 ER, 0 BB, 4 K - he's still giving up too many hits (85 in 73.2 IP this year) but still maintaining a great strikeout rate; 51 in last 44.1 IP
  • Michael Barash is having a decent year for a potential back-up catcher - .218/.350/.339/.689, 33 walks to 42 strikeouts. Between Kruger, him, and Briceno, we're doing alright.
  • Alex Klonowski is performing well in AA: 46.2 IP, 11 walks, 49 strikeouts, 3.86 ERA 
  • @Angel Oracle - Tyler Stevens re-emerged last night: 2 IP, 2 H, 3 K - in 19.2 AA innings, he's struck out 30, walked 6, and allowed 9 hits - good for a .130 BAA and 0.76 WHIP
  • Jo Adell - 63 games, 258 at-bats, 18 doubles, 3 triples, 17 home runs. 
  • Jorge Tavarez (A/A+): 23 games, 49 IP, 2.57 ERA, 19 BB, 61 K, 43 hits,  zero home runs
  • Orlando Martinez looking comfortable in Burlington - 2-4, a cool .412 in his first 4 games
  • Kevin Maitan is hitting .152 in his last 10 games
  • Dazon Cole ('18, Rd. 25) was promoted to Orem - in his first 7 pro innings, he's walked 1 and struck out 11

9 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Time for Stevens to give AAA a try?

With all the shuttling between Anaheim and SLC going on, I imagine he'll be needed there sooner than later. 

I hate to say it, but I'm nearing a point where I'd rather see the Halos sputter in coming weeks to drive them to dealing away Richards, Kinsler, and whomever else so come Aug. 1, we can see Ward at 3B, Fletcher at 2B, JMF as back-up IF, Suarez getting some MLB innings, and come September, Rengifo getting a cup of coffee. Feel like we'd have just as good a shot at winning with that crew.

2B Fletcher, SS Simmons, CF Trout, LF Upton, 1B Pujols, DH Ohtani, 3B Ward, RF Calhoun, C Maldonado would be fun to watch.

I would only make two changes to that proposed lineup.

Flip Calhoun and Machete, as the current Kole would be a good bridge to the leadoff spot with his decent speed; and move Upton and his RISP struggles to 6th spot.

Hope that Stevens could be part of the revamped 2019 pen.   Rhoades seems to be struggling much more lately, after a solid couple of months.

Any hope that a couple of the many college pitchers taken in rounds 3-13 can become solid MLB relievers?

17 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I would only make two changes to that proposed lineup.

Flip Calhoun and Machete, as the current Kole would be a good bridge to the leadoff spot with his decent speed; and move Upton and his RISP struggles to 6th spot.

Hope that Stevens could be part of the revamped 2019 pen.   Rhoades seems to be struggling much more lately, after a solid couple of months.

Any hope that a couple of the many college pitchers taken in rounds 3-13 can become solid MLB relievers?

That's cool with me - I'd even be fine with Fletch #9 and Calhoun #1 if Kole has found himself again. Regarding Upton, my one gripe with Sosh is I'd like to see more fluidity in spots #3-#6 - move Pujols, Upton, and Ohtani, and occasionally even Simmons, throughout those spots based on who is hot - not based on match-up, not based on any preconceived notions of who should hit where. If Simmons is red-hot, hit him right before or behind Trout. If Pujols is in a good groove, put him right behind Simmons and Trout. If Upton gets on a HR happy streak, put him behind Simmons and Trout. 

The college pitchers taken in those rounds the last two drafts are pure lotto tickets. If we get one or two MLB arms of any quality out of them, cool. Procopio is promising.

53 minutes ago, totdprods said:

With all the shuttling between Anaheim and SLC going on, I imagine he'll be needed there sooner than later. 

I hate to say it, but I'm nearing a point where I'd rather see the Halos sputter in coming weeks to drive them to dealing away Richards, Kinsler, and whomever else so come Aug. 1, we can see Ward at 3B, Fletcher at 2B, JMF as back-up IF, Suarez getting some MLB innings, and come September, Rengifo getting a cup of coffee. Feel like we'd have just as good a shot at winning with that crew.

2B Fletcher, SS Simmons, CF Trout, LF Upton, 1B Pujols, DH Ohtani, 3B Ward, RF Calhoun, C Maldonado would be fun to watch.

I totally agree @totdprods.

I would seriously look at trading Richards to a contender. I would also tell him that we'll look at re-signing in FA, much like what the Yankees did with Chapman. 

20 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I totally agree @totdprods.

I would seriously look at trading Richards to a contender. I would also tell him that we'll look at re-signing in FA, much like what the Yankees did with Chapman. 

I think that's a totally feasible plan for Richards. It was huge for him to come back with a strong game yesterday. 

Don't think he's going to net much of a return - I still feel the Darvish deal is a great comp - if we got one of Keston Hiura, Mark Zagunis, Brendon Little, Brett Phillips, Domingo Santana, Chance Adams, Thairo Estrada, Billy McKinney, Touki Toussaint, Thomas Eshelman, etc. it'd be huge. 

At the same time I'm totally down with Eppler swinging a move or two for '19 - deal some prospects for someone with long-term control if they're available. I really think nabbing a controllable reliever and starter should be a priority.

Does a trading Richards end up netting us more than offering a QO would? 

Either he signs it and we get a good deal on him without having to commit long term to an injury prone pitcher, or we gain leverage in working out a long term deal with him, or we get a compensatory pick and slot money for him.

The pick and slot money could be huge if we want to sign a different FA this year. It would allow us to have a fairly normal draft or a huge draft if we don't sign one.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I hate to say it, but I'm nearing a point where I'd rather see the Halos sputter in coming weeks...

I will NEVER understand this, regardless of the rationale. 

Watch the Angels win vs. Seeing young guys play every day.  Seriously?

giphy.gif

14 minutes ago, True Grich said:

99% of the time, I agree with you. This is the first time I've ever felt this way. They have three teams ahead of them in their division alone, including one 11 games up and another the defending WS champs. The level of insane play they'd need just to get back to even with those teams seems impossible given that we're relying on Deck McGuire to make starts and Hansel Robles as a high leverage reliever. We've put two rotations worth of starters on the DL this year.

We have a quartet of infielders who've collectively slashed .333/.386/.554/.939 in SLC, and one of them is already showing promise in Fletcher. I'm looking forward to seeing what these can do, and I'd rather it be August and September this year instead of April and May next year, in case they flop, so we have time to assess our needs in the offseason instead of wasting another year.

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

9 we're relying on Deck McGuire to make starts and Hansel Robles as a high leverage reliever.

Yes, it's all hansels on deck.  I'd rather hope for the impossible.... it makes for a better story.

55 minutes ago, True Grich said:

giphy.gif

So let’s continue to trot out guys like Kinsler and Valbuena who won’t be here next year instead of getting some of these young guys at bats and experience to help us next year?

Sounds like a great idea...

It’s called getting a head start on next year and seeing what holes we can potentially fill internally. If you seriously think that this current team is still in the hunt for the playoffs then I can’t help you.

2 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

So let’s continue to trot out guys like Kinsler and Valbuena who won’t be here next year instead of getting some of these young guys at bats and experience to help us next year?

Sounds like a great idea...

It’s called getting a head start on next year and seeing what holes we can potentially fill internally. If you seriously think that this current team is still in the hunt for the playoffs then I can’t help you.

I"m simply saying that I don't want to see the team tank.  Whether or not they actually do is another matter.  totdprods said he's "nearing a point where I'd rather see the Halos sputter in coming weeks" and I don't understand THAT.  If they actually fall completely out of it, I have no issue with seeing some young guys get a shot.  You're right.  You can't help me.  You don't understand what I'm saying.

There's really no way the Angels can tank in the traditional sense because they're still going to have Trout, Upton, Simmons, Ohtani, Pujols in the lineup, have Barria, Skaggs, Heaney and a couple Sum Yum Gui's.

The thought here is you still field a solid team with bringing up the youngsters, but you try to get anything you can from the vets and those who are FA's after this season like Richards.

I'm guessing this lineup below would be more competitive than the one we're trotting out there with Kinsler and Valbuena in it. I'm thinking we can get something from Valbuena too for a team contending looking for a lefthanded bat off the bench that can play 1B and 3B. 

2B Fletcher

RF Calhoun

CF Trout

SS Simmons (I like him hitting after Trout)

DH Ohtani

LF Upton

1B Pujols

3B Ward (Slashing .354/.446/.556 with a 1.002 OPS)

C Maldonado

29 minutes ago, True Grich said:

I"m simply saying that I don't want to see the team tank.  Whether or not they actually do is another matter.  totdprods said he's "nearing a point where I'd rather see the Halos sputter in coming weeks" and I don't understand THAT.  If they actually fall completely out of it, I have no issue with seeing some young guys get a shot.  You're right.  You can't help me.  You don't understand what I'm saying.

I think what Tot is saying is that he feels they have fallen completely out of it already. He just doesn't want any dead cat bounce from here on out to effect how the team proceeds with respect to selling assets and playing young guys. He's worried a dead cat bounce could convince some people in the front office/management to delay playing the young guys/selling vets. I also don't think he believes that playing the young guys really is tanking. I personally think they could play better than some of the vets. 

You guys just have different views of when they are completely out of it and what a hot couple of weeks could mean for the team's chances this season.

I personally am somewhere in the middle. I think there is a very small chance (1-2%) the Angels could come back. That being said, I wouldn't be a buyer even with improved play the rest of the month. Unless they are within 4 games a week before the deadline then I would sell. I think the front office is pretty smart and won't overestimate the team's chances based on a hot streak over the next 2.5 weeks. So Tot doesn't really need to worry.

I think they'll be teams that we could get them  to overpay for Richards.But for this to happen we need Richards to pitch really well these nest few starts. I think we could get a team like the Rockies to overpay for Richards, because of his stuff and he's an ground ball pitcher. I'd ask for Lambert as the center piece. 

Maybe if he pitch really well, we could have a chance for Duplantier from AZ..... we'll probably need to move a few extra pieces alongside Richards.   

6 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

I think what Tot is saying is that he feels they have fallen completely out of it already. He just doesn't want any dead cat bounce from here on out to effect how the team proceeds with respect to selling assets and playing young guys. He's worried a dead cat bounce could convince some people in the front office/management to delay playing the young guys/selling vets. I also don't think he believes that playing the young guys really is tanking. I personally think they could play better than some of the vets

Bingo. I actually think we have a better chance of storming back into the playoff picture in August and September with the youth playing and lowered expectations than the current crop of injury-addled underperforming vets. 

If they play well in July, I worry we'll be treading water the rest of the year, or spending prospects trying to keep up with the Jones', then going into the winter looking to spend money on FAs because we're not sure if Fletcher, Ward, JMF, or Thaiss are ready or capable.

Flip Richards for a prospect, Kinsler for a depthy, optionable reliever, cut Valbuena and Marte, promote the kids, trade some redundant prospects for a long-term bullpen piece and another controllable arm, and play out the year and see what happens. 

Baseball America blurb on Ward today.

Taylor Ward, 3B, Angels. One of the most shocking developments of the 2018 season is the sudden emergence of Ward as a hitter. Ward was drafted as a glove-first catcher. He never really hit and his defense at catcher didn't live up to expectations. But this year, the Angels moved Ward off catcher. As a third baseman, Ward has become a reliable middle of the order bat. Ward went 4-for-4 yesterday with three doubles and a walk. He now is hitting .381 with Triple-A Salt Lake after hitting 345 with Double-A Mobile.

3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Taylor Ward, 3B, Angels. One of the most shocking developments of the 2018 season is the sudden emergence of Ward as a hitter. Ward was drafted as a glove-first catcher. He never really hit and his defense at catcher didn't live up to expectations. But this year, the Angels moved Ward off catcher. As a third baseman, Ward has become a reliable middle of the order bat. Ward went 4-for-4 yesterday with three doubles and a walk. He now is hitting .381 with Triple-A Salt Lake after hitting 345 with Double-A Mobile.

Maybe the glove was hit and miss but, despite a tough time in high A ball (.247 .331 .684 OPS) in 2016/early 2017, since AA ball he's been a really consistent hitter (.318 .429 .890 OPS in AA 2017/2018, and .367 .435 1.041 OPS in AAA 2018).  His overall numbers in the minors to this point are .289 .382 .794 OPS with 186 BB 223 K.

Looks like the guy knows his way around the strike zone and is starting to develop some power...seems his only weakness is his D at 3B. 

2 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Looks like the guy knows his way around the strike zone and is starting to develop some power...seems his only weakness is his D at 3B. 

I'm guessing he's no worse than Valbuena and Escobar over there. Ward is athletic and has a strong arm. 

2 hours ago, eaterfan said:

Does a trading Richards end up netting us more than offering a QO would? 

Either he signs it and we get a good deal on him without having to commit long term to an injury prone pitcher, or we gain leverage in working out a long term deal with him, or we get a compensatory pick and slot money for him.

The pick and slot money could be huge if we want to sign a different FA this year. It would allow us to have a fairly normal draft or a huge draft if we don't sign one.

Im leaning this way too -- regaining a pick may be the best option -- this team has done really well with it's second pick under Eppler, making it so it gets to keep it's draft pool intact may be a really smart way to go.

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'm guessing he's no worse than Valbuena and Escobar over there. Ward is athletic and has a strong arm. 

Well, I am assuming it's a learning curve since it's his first season over at 3B.  Just curious what his weaknesses are at this point: throw accuracy?  footwork?  glove handling?

16 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Taylor Donaldson..   

2 hours ago, True Grich said:

Yes, it's all hansels on deck.  I'd rather hope for the impossible.... it makes for a better story.

You can hope for the impossible with young guys too -- Mostly, I think the comment about prefer they sputter may have to do with Tots possibly wanting to keep guys rather than see them traded off for some longshot run to make a one game play in.