• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Just to be clear, those grades are "based upon their prospect and team performance so far." The operative word is "Performance" - meaning, these aren't farm grades as a whole.

Still, it is very encouraging, although the author overstates Jones and Marsh, both of whom have had significant struggles this year and underperformed expectations. No mention of Rengifo, who might be the most underrated prospect in baseball.

3 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/midseason-farm-system-grades-american-league/c-283879576?tid=216111950

AL West

Seattle Mariners

Grade: D+

The Mariners entered the season ranked by MiLB.com as the, um, 30th-best farm system in baseball. There's been no vast overhaul since then, but there has been enough good news to keep Seattle a few ticks out of failing range. Top prospect Kyle Lewis, who missed the start of the year after arthroscopic surgery in February, got back to Class A Advanced Modesto for May 12 and played well enough to make it into the California League All-Star Game a little more than a month later. He was joined at that showcase by other ranked M's prospects, including Evan White, who homered. While the system is still particularly weak in pitching, a few hurlers on that Nuts club put together an excellent first half, including Wyatt Mills, Darren McCaughan and Seth Elledge. Class A Clinton (39-31) was the organization's winningest affiliate through the first half, but only Double-A Arkansas (35-35) clinched a playoff berth.

Los Angeles Angels

Grade: A

While it's true that Shohei Ohtani was lost to an elbow injury shortly after he outgrew his prospect status, it's also true that the addition of Ohtani didn't single-handedly overhaul the Angels system. It's been steadily improving over the last couple years, and several of its brightest youngsters -- especially those from recent Drafts -- have wowed this year. Jo Adell has been absolutely sensational, and Jahmai Jones and Brandon Marsh have both been buzz-worthy. Griffin Canning has pitched far better than anybody anticipated, already reaching Triple-A. Kevin Maitan got off to a quick start in Rookie ball, though he has since cooled. David Fletcher, Jaime Barria and Michael Hermosillo have all made big league contributions, and Matt Thaiss, Taylor Ward and Jose Suarez might not be too far behind. Aside from the injury to Ohtani -- which still might not hold him back from returning as a hitter soon -- the Halos' farm system could scarcely have asked for a better first half.

@Farmbuildingfan

25 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Just to be clear, those grades are "based upon their prospect and team performance so far." The operative word is "Performance" - meaning, these aren't farm grades as a whole.

Still, it is very encouraging, although the author overstates Jones and Marsh, both of whom have had significant struggles this year and underperformed expectations. No mention of Rengifo, who might be the most underrated prospect in baseball.

"buzzworthy" is the keyword. I'd certainly agree with that. Jones switched positions and has taken to it quite well. Marsh has incredible tools that just haven't shown up in the boxscore at IE. Yet.

52 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Marsh and Jones are both in their age 20 season, they are both 2.3 years below the league average age -- Marsh is in his FIRST season of full season baseball, Jones his second.  Instead talking about them having under-performed expectations maybe you should temper yours a bit or maybe consider the name mentioned in the M's write-up - Kyle Lewis.  Like Jones and Marsh, he's a top 100 prospect, like the Angels duo he's in High A, only he's 22 and was taken out of college and in the first round.   Both these guys could repeat high-A next year and still be younger than Lewis currently is.

Let's not "Future batting champion" them while still in high A and at 20.

Look at it this way. In Jones and Marsh, we have two prospects with 20/20 potential by the time they're 25. They'll both be major league ready by 22/23. One plays in the dirt, the other in the grass. One lefty, one righty. Both have great clubhouse rapport and both can hit at the top of the lineup.

If it weren't but for Ohtani dominating the news, Maitan being a big international splash and Adell showing elite speed and power, we'd be celebrating Jones and Marsh as if they'd put us in the playoffs.

Marsh and Jones are both A-/B+ prospects. The type that profile as better than average regulars.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Marsh and Jones are both in their age 20 season, they are both 2.3 years below the league average age -- Marsh is in his FIRST season of full season baseball, Jones his second.  Instead talking about them having under-performed expectations maybe you should temper yours a bit or maybe consider the name mentioned in the M's write-up - Kyle Lewis.  Like Jones and Marsh, he's a top 100 prospect, like the Angels duo he's in High A, only he's 22 and was taken out of college and in the first round.   Both these guys could repeat high-A next year and still be younger than Lewis currently is.

Let's not "Future batting champion" them while still in high A and at 20.

I get it and I'm very excited about Marsh and Jones, even seeing positives about this year. I just think the author is overstating their "buzzworthiness," while ignoring someone like Rengifo whose performance should catapult him up the charts.

EDIT: But yeah, my expectations were probably a bit high. I was hoping/expecting Jones to really dominate in A+ and receive a AA callup by the second half, and I was expecting/hoping for Marsh to speed past both Adell and Jones, especially after his hot start.

5 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Look at it this way. In Jones and Marsh, we have two prospects with 20/20 potential by the time they're 25. They'll both be major league ready by 22/23. One plays in the dirt, the other in the grass. One lefty, one righty. Both have great clubhouse rapport and both can hit at the top of the lineup.

If it weren't but for Ohtani dominating the news, Maitan being a big international splash and Adell showing elite speed and power, we'd be celebrating Jones and Marsh as if they'd put us in the playoffs.

Marsh and Jones are both A-/B+ prospects. The type that profile as better than average regulars.

Not quite ready to give them those grades. With a strong finish, yes.

Let's take an outside analyst who is generally well regarded: John Sickels. In his offseason rankings he gave Jones a B/B+ and Marsh a B/B-. I don't think Jones has improved his stock yet: he's holding his own in A+ but he's also stagnating with the bat and the reports of his 2B defense are mixed. I wouldn't downgrade him, just not upgrade him. With a strong finish he could be a B+.

As for Marsh, I would upgrade him a bit, probably to B/B+, maybe even B+/B or straight B+. But not quite in the A- range.

But we're quibbling and its close.

3 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I get it and I'm very excited about Marsh and Jones, even seeing positives about this year. I just think the author is overstating their "buzzworthiness," while ignoring someone like Rengifo whose performance should catapult him up the charts.

EDIT: But yeah, my expectations were probably a bit high. I was hoping/expecting Jones to really dominate in A+ and receive a AA callup by the second half, and I was expecting/hoping for Marsh to speed past both Adell and Jones, especially after his hot start.

Meh -- I wasn't really arguing your expectations were high, I worded that poorly.....  I think we all think Marsh is capable of blowing up (Jones too).   Mostly I was just trying to point out that Marsh and Jones are still very young and in Marsh's case, very inexperienced.   The counting stats aren't there, and we aren't seeing the power manifest itself yet, but there are definitely positives even if the numbers don't jump out at you.  There is reason for hope in the predictive data for both guys -- http://www.statcorner.com/bat/663330/Jahmai-Jones  http://www.statcorner.com/bat/669016/Brandon-Marsh 

My biggest concern with Marsh is the elevated K rate but, when you look at his rates .vs the league average he's not doing poorly.  When you factor in he's more than two years younger than the league average those numbers are a lot less ugly.

Anyway...  not to belabor the point but in his first year of full season ball he made a two level jump.   If he were to repeat that performance next season we would be talking about a 21 year old in only his second year of full season ball in AA.  

6 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Good stuff, IP. And it is good to remember that Marsh will likely be 21 in AA and reach the majors as a 22 year old.

In other news, Hermo had a beast of a night: 4 hits and a walk, including an HR.

Scotty's favorite ex-Angel prospect Zach Borentstein hit his 19th HR vs Salt Lake.

I still have a lot of hope for Herm despite how overmatched he has looked this year in the bigs and ST. I'm not quite buying his ceiling as an everyday OF, but I still like comping him as a blend of Collin Cowgill's solid 2014 season (.250/.330/.354/.684, OPS+ 99 and 2 WAR) and Jeff DaVanon's Halo career (.256/.348/.401/.749, OPS+ 99, averaging 1 WAR annually) which may not seem like much, but if he brings excellent defense and baserunning with that line to the 4th OF role, he'd be the best 4th OF we've had since...well, Collin Cowgill. Who basically had to replace Hamilton that season.

Some good stuff last night...

• Hermosillo: .282/.406/.506/.911 - Blash was lifted early though, so presumably he's headed up.
  • Thaiss has cooled, only hitting .239 with 1 walk in last 10 games. Still slashing .292/.342/.517/.860 on the year. 
  • Ward should get a chance soon. .385 in last 10 games - a .974 OPS in SLC to match his .973 OPS in AA. 41 walks to 59 strikeouts, 15 for 16 in SB attempts. 
  • Oliver Drake since being demoted: 7.2 IP, 3 H, 1 walk, 8 strikeouts
  • Rengifo was pulled in the second game at AA - anyone know what happened?
  • Jack Kruger is slashing .308/.384/.435/.818 with 21 XBH, 28 walks, 53 strikeouts, 11-14 in SB attempts, and has caught 20 stealing (but allowed 70, which seems high)
  • Jeremy Beasley is quietly having a nice year: 15 G, 11 GS, 67.1 IP, 2.81 ERA, 1.22 WHIP, .254 BAA, 18 walks, 67 strikeouts
  • Poached from the Nationals org, 6'5" 240 righty Kida de la Cruz is walking about 8 per 9 innings, but also striking out 13 per 9. One to watch.
  • Leonardo Rivas is hitting .293 his last 10 games, with 7 BB to 9 K, and .275 in the second half (13 G) compared to .226 in the first half (62 G)
  • I think Orlando Martinez is going to be a pretty legit prospect this time next year.
  • Franklin Torres? .287/.381/.372/.752 with 38 walks, 53 strikeouts, 11-12 in SB attempts with a .986 FP% playing 1B, 2B, and 3B. Only 21, and was good in '17 too.
  • Jose Soriano threw 3 innings, allowing 1 hit, 2 walks, and striking out 3.
  • 19 year old Francisco Del Valle is slashing .397/.485/.534/1.020 in Orem - 8 walks, 9 strikeouts, 7 XBH in 15 games. 
  • 2018, 27th round pick Jacob Voss has 12 strikeouts in his first 6.1 pro innings pitched, allowing no runs, 4 hits, and only 1 walk. He's also 6'9".
  • Deveaux went 3-4 with a walk!
  • UDFA Kiki Menendez hit his first pro HR. 
  • Kiber Arvelaez, Emilker Guzman, and Robinson Pina are the latest wave of prospects from the DSL to jump into Arizona. Hopefully a couple follow the paths of Yan, Soriano, and Hernandez.

9 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Good stuff, IP. And it is good to remember that Marsh will likely be 21 in AA and reach the majors as a 22 year old.

In other news, Hermo had a beast of a night: 4 hits and a walk, including an HR.

Scotty's favorite ex-Angel prospect Zach Borentstein hit his 19th HR vs Salt Lake.

I do love me some of that Jewish power! I think it's awesome he reps Israel in the WBC.

Honestly, I always liked Borenstein. Good athlete, good power. I still think he breaks his way on to a major league roster someday as a reserve, Daniel Nava type.

I couldn't stand his brother though.

1 hour ago, eaterfan said:

I just saw a video of Devo for the first time. Holy crapy! I think his stance is a little upright, but that swing is quick and looks nice. It reminds me of Trout with how compact it is. Hopefully he gets used to it quickly. 

Stoopnagle me, only now did I realize that Devo is Deveaux.

51 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Also, that sucks about Young getting hurt. Hermosillo was finally getting the developmental time he needs in AAA.

I say let Herm develop more in AAA and call up Liriano. 

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

I say let Herm develop more in AAA and call up Liriano. 

LIriano or Revere or Eric Young Jr. It isn't like our 40 man is so stacked we can't cut someone loose and add those guys.

I know a bunch of people have lost faith in Herm, but they're seeing a 23 year old unfinished product in his first stint in the major leagues with very little developmental time in AAA.

Just for a second, picture what he'll be at 25 after he's had the necessary time in AAA and has enough MLB at bats under his belt that's he knows what to expect. He'll be a starting caliber OF.

No way Jose, that Rengifo should be ranked 27th in the org.

He shouldn’t be anything below top 10 in the org.

Dude simply reaches base (.430 OBP) and runs the bases well (33 SBs).   1-2 in the batting order could be his future here.

He even has solid gap hitting skill (32 XBH’s in 74 games). 21 doubles, 7 triples, 4 HRs

28 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

No way Jose, that Rengifo should be ranked 27th in the org.

He shouldn’t be anything below top 10 in the org.

Dude simply reaches base and runs the bases well.   1-2 in the batting order could be his future here.

He even has solid gap hitting skill.

I don't think MLB has updated the prospect rankings since preseason (except for graduations, trades, etc.) so I imagine he'll move up a few spots when they re-assess.