• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

4 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

^Ditto. If you look at Rengifo's three levels of play this year, there is marked decline from A+/AA to AAA. At 21 I'm not worried at all, and he held his own in AAA, but clearly he can develop some more and there's no rush. He'll be up sometime in the first half next year.

A+: .323/.426/.466 in 41 games

AA: .305/.420/.477 in 40 games

AAA: .274/.358/.421 in 46 games

Ultimately I think he's got a higher upside than Fletcher, who profiles more as a stop-gap and/or excellent utility player. But Jahmai Jones might have higher upside than Rengifo, so at some point one of these guys will likely be traded.

More ditto

Do you see Ward starting 2019 as the 3B, Cozart starting 2019 as the 2B, and Fletcher starting 2019 as a super utility guy?

Only issue is 2B being pretty much yet another new position for Cozart to learn, with only 15 career MLB games started at 2B (all this season).

One thing that doesn't get talked about a lot is whether the Angels will extend Simmons. Obviously it sounds like a good idea as Simmons improved hitting and sustained defensive excellence makes him a 5-6 WAR player, a true star. As with Trout, while no one is going to replace Andrelton, the Angels have a bunch of decent to good options in Fletcher, Rengifo, and eventually Rivas, Soto and Jackson. Do the Angels shell out a multi-year contract for $20-25M+ a year for Simmons in his 30s or do they go the budget route and transition Rengifo from his possible super sub role to full-time SS? Or will one of the younger guys be ready?

No answers, just something to consider. By 2021 this team could see Trout and Simmons gone, Pujols put out to pasture, and Upton in a part-time role.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

More ditto

Do you see Ward starting 2019 as the 3B, Cozart starting 2019 as the 2B, and Fletcher starting 2019 as a super utility guy?

Only issue is 2B being pretty much yet another new position for Cozart to learn, with only 15 career MLB games started at 2B (all this season).

Probably something like that. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Angels play it conservative and send Ward back to AAA, Cozart at 3B, Fletcher at 2B, and a free agent as super sub. But I'm hoping Ward is given a fair chance and wins the starting job at 3B for Opening Day, with Fernandez as 1B/3B (aka Valbuena's role). Ward could also get starts at 1B and even be an emergency third-string C.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

More ditto

If Cozart hits like he did this year, he will probably become super utility and Fletcher play 2nd.

3 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

If Cozart hits like he did this year, he will probably become super utility and Fletcher play 2nd.

Yes, true. And of course Rengifo will be pressuring for major league playing time. 2B/UT will be competitive next year, with Cozart, Fletcher, and Rengifo all vying for playing time.

10 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Yes, true. And of course Rengifo will be pressuring for major league playing time. 2B/UT will be competitive next year, with Cozart, Fletcher, and Rengifo all vying for playing time.

A big year from Jones could put him right in the mix too.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

A big year from Jones could put him right in the mix too.

I thought of that as well but don't think we'll see Jones before a September call-up, no matter how good he plays in AA/AAA, and probably not until 2019.

What I fear but half-expect is that we see either Rengifo or Jones traded at some point. The honest truth is they don't absolutely need both of them, and both have significant value--more than Fletcher, I would think.

I think totdprod is right in that 2019 has now become a transition year. Not having Richards (assuming he would've re-upped, which it sounds like he was interested), and now not having Ohtani in the rotation, our two big guns are out of the picture. Sure, we'll get some more arms in the offseason to get us through the year, but the window of contention starts in 2020. There's little doubt about that now.

I think 2019 will show us quite a few things....

1. Is Taylor Ward the third baseman of the next few years, or not?

2. Can this team count on David Fletcher and Luis Rengifo to produce in an everyday role, be it at 2B, 3B or shortstop? If not, one will be dealt, the other will be the utility infielder.

3. Is Zack Cozart going to be healthy and productive enough to play everyday? If not, he'll either need to be a utility infielder or just plain released. 

4. Will Michael Hermosillo take the necessary strides to take a spot in the outfield, or will he be destined for fourth outfield role?

5. Are the adjustments Kole Calhoun has made long lasting, or can we expect more ups and downs?

6. Will Albert come to terms with reality and walk away? Or more accurately, will he accept a reduced role on the Angels?

7. Can Matt Thaiss take another developmental leap forward as is customary of most first round picks and seize the starting 1B gig at the end of 2019 and beyond?

8. How will Jones, Adele and Marsh handle AA pitching? If they develop and conquer that level, they become part of the 2020 plans, which means some trades will be made.  If not, then we'll give them more time and realistically look at 2021 or even 2022.

9. Will Griffin Canning and Jose Suarez both figure into the 2020 and beyond plans?

10. Are Jared Walsh and Bo Way legitimate depth options in both the field and bullpen?

11. Are Arcia and Briceno legitimately part of the future at catcher or will the Angels head in a different direction?

12. Will Alex Meyer and JC Ramirez come back and play a role on this team or are they likely out the door with no options remaining?

13. Can Skaggs and Shoemaker stay off the DL long enough to be counted on?

14. How does this team look with a new manager?

15. How will Kevin Maitan, D'Shawn Knowles, Jordyn Adams and Jeremiah Jackson handle A Ball? If they take a step forward as they are capable of, we could see them in AA by the end of the ext year like we did with Adell, which could make them part of the 2021 plans. I wouldn't expect that to happen, but a precedent has been set at least. They know it can be done. 

16. Will guys like Aaron Hernandez jump into the 2020 conversation? 

Chances are, ever single one of those questions and more will be answered in 2019, and those answers will play a huge role in how this team plans for 2020 and beyond. 

I've been saying that 2019 is a transition year for some time now and gotten a bit of flack for it, mainly from the "Win Now At All Costs" crowd. 

That said, I don't think the Ohtani injury negates the possibility of the Angels competing for the wildcard next year.  There are many other ways to improve the team and get into the conversation, which starts at about 85 wins. 

But yeah: you nicely laid out many of the questions that 2019 will hopefully answer. A few thoughts from your list.

I don't see Hermosillo ever being a starter for the Angels, not unless Adell and Marsh stall out or one of the starting three gets injured. But next year will be Upton-Trout-Calhoun and presumably 2020 will be Upton-Trout-Adell, with 2021 being either Upton-Adell-Marsh or Upton-Trout-Adell again with Marsh traded, or Adell-Trout-Marsh with Upton DHing or traded. Hermosillo would make a great 4th outfielder, though.

As great as Ohtani has been in flashes, and as great as he could be, if the Angels get a healthy Shoemaker back, it isn't far off the performance level we say from Ohtani in 10 starts this year. Shoe has shown flashes of #2-3 form. In 2016, after a slow start, he had a 2.86 ERA in his last 19 starts. What if his struggles in 2017-18 were entirely about the underlying nerve injury? 

I'm with you Junky, i've been also treating this year as a transition year. I think we have gotten an good idea in where we are prospect wise and roster wise for next few years.

I also believe that we have an chance to compete for the wild card next year, even without Ohtani pitching. 

Skaggs has taken an big step this year, if he can keep it up thru next year, he's a solid 2

Heaney, even tho he's struggle a bit in his past few starts, Probably due to fatigue. i think he's still in good spot after returning from Tj and could be 2/3.

Shoe and Barria both ar solid 3/4 starters

we can take a chance and sign guys such as Ryu or pomeranz    

than we have canning, Suarez and Sandoval waiting in the minors, and Canning may play an important role in our rotation next year.

Also i would not be surprised if a trade was made to acquire an arm, a name to remember is Dylan Bundy.

Offensively, i think we allow Fletcher and Ward to play it out and see how they do. Flecther looks like he could be a starter while Ward, abit limited bats has looked much better in September 

7 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Skaggs, Shoe, Heaney, and Barria could be a decent quartet to start with on the mound.  

Pena is pitching like a #4-5 starter as well, but only over some 65 innings since going into the rotation some 2.5 months ago.   Can he be counted on to continue that in 2019, without previous history to count on?

After seeing Bridwell and Ramirez go down injured in '18, I'd be leery counting on Pena as a full-time starter...I'd rather see him slide into a multi-inning role or stick in SLC on a tight innings/pitch limit and be injury insurance.

Barring trades, I want to see our AAA rotation next year be Pena/Tropeano/Farrell as the rotating 6th SP, followed by Canning, Suarez, Bridwell, and eventually Sandoval. Actual SP worth calling up when someone gets hurt, instead of it being Pineyro and Unsworth, forcing us into using relievers as starters.

September 5, 2018

Orem (21-54) lost 1-3 vs. Grand Junction/COL (43-32)

• Jackson: 0-3, BB, K, E (11)
  • Maitan: 1-4, K
  • Knowles: 0-4
  • Swanda: 5 IP, 4 H, BB, 2 K - likely ends the season with a respectable 4.50 ERA in 10 GS (30 IP) - 7 walks, 26 strikeouts, .291 BAA for the 2017 4th Rd. pick
  • Rivera: 2 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 2 K - not an awful line, by his typical Orem standards

13 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Jackson appears to be tiring, playing into September for the first time ever?

Still, he needs to start 2019 at Burlington.

I'm hoping this whole unit starts at Burlington. Adams and Knowles in the OF, Nonie along for the ride too, maybe Orlando Martinez as well if he starts the season in Burlington again, Jackson, Maitan, Soto in the IF. Soriano, Yan, Swanda in the rotation. 

That'd be a fun team.

I'm hoping this whole unit starts at Burlington. Adams and Knowles in the OF, Nonie along for the ride too, maybe Orlando Martinez as well if he starts the season in Burlington again, Jackson, Maitan, Soto in the IF. Soriano, Yan, Swanda in the rotation. 

That'd be a fun team.

I completely agree! 

6 hours ago, totdprods said:

That'd be a fun team.

There's no way they hold a Martinez down in A Ball. He'll be in AA by June of next year. Solid 4th OF profile. Won't need much time in the minors at all, that's how advanced his bat is. Ceiling is low, but again, one scout said he was the best teenage hitter to come out of Cuba in a very long time. He would've hit .400 if he stayed on the island. 

9 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

There's no way they hold a Martinez down in A Ball. He'll be in AA by June of next year. Solid 4th OF profile. Won't need much time in the minors at all, that's how advanced his bat is. Ceiling is low, but again, one scout said he was the best teenage hitter to come out of Cuba in a very long time. He would've hit .400 if he stayed on the island. 

I imagine if he starts there, it will be one of those scenarios where he's only there for a couple weeks if he starts the year hot. Outfield on the farm will be interesting next year, and could start getting crowded.

I can't see the Angels putting all of the Sandoval, Lund, Gibbons, Sanger crew in AAA - they'll likely have Walsh, Hermosillo, Way, and another Revere/Blash/EY Jr./Liriano guy or two as depth on minor-league deals, so that fills up the Mobile OF, pairing up with Adell. 

At IE, it'll probably be Marsh and Hunter at first - with a lot of org depth (Cam and Kevin Williams, Jonah Todd, Jenkins, Griffin) getting bumped up (only because of their age) to Inland Empire in order clear Burlington's OF for Adams, Knowles, Del Valle, Sala, Nonie. I imagine Deveaux' performance puts him in Orem or even Arizona again for 2019. 

But yeah, I could Orlando starting either at Burlington or IE really. Depends on how the pieces above him fall into place and who they release, who retires, etc. But he won't be there for long if he starts there, I think.

It's exciting - with the aggressive promotions, we're starting to see the Angels farm really fill out at each level, at least offensively. Though, the Burlington rotation could be really interesting with guys like Yan, Soriano, Duensing, Molina, Rivera, Swanda, Natera, Guzman, perhaps Chris Rodriguez, and perhaps some of the new guys like Bradish or Hernandez all in the mix. 

6 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I imagine if he starts there, it will be one of those scenarios where he's only there for a couple weeks if he starts the year hot. Outfield on the farm will be interesting next year, and could start getting crowded.

I can't see the Angels putting all of the Sandoval, Lund, Gibbons, Sanger crew in AAA - they'll likely have Walsh, Hermosillo, Way, and another Revere/Blash/EY Jr./Liriano guy or two as depth on minor-league deals, so that fills up the Mobile OF, pairing up with Adell. 

At IE, it'll probably be Marsh and Hunter at first - with a lot of org depth (Cam and Kevin Williams, Jonah Todd, Jenkins, Griffin) getting bumped up (only because of their age) to Inland Empire in order clear Burlington's OF for Adams, Knowles, Del Valle, Sala, Nonie. I imagine Deveaux' performance puts him in Orem or even Arizona again for 2019. 

But yeah, I could Orlando starting either at Burlington or IE really. Depends on how the pieces above him fall into place and who they release, who retires, etc. But he won't be there for long if he starts there, I think.

It's exciting - with the aggressive promotions, we're starting to see the Angels farm really fill out at each level, at least offensively. Though, the Burlington rotation could be really interesting with guys like Yan, Soriano, Duensing, Molina, Rivera, Swanda, Natera, Guzman, perhaps Chris Rodriguez, and perhaps some of the new guys like Bradish or Hernandez all in the mix. 

Marsh will be headed to AA in all liklihood.

34 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

32 errors. 

I wouldn't read into it much. Seems like every Angel IF has 10-20 errors, even the ones regarded as good defenders. Some of it is probably due to subpar fields, other position players not catching throws that a MLBer would get, etc. 

For instance, Andrelton Simmons once made 28 errors in A+ Ball. 

Still, Maitan is probably more of a 1B/3B anyways. 

I wouldn't read into it much. Seems like every Angel IF has 10-20 errors, even the ones regarded as good defenders. Some of it is probably due to subpar fields, other position players not catching throws that a MLBer would get, etc. 

For instance, Andrelton Simmons once made 28 errors in A+ Ball. 

Still, Maitan is probably more of a 1B/3B anyways. 

Admittedly it's just fielding %, but simmons still had a .958% that year.  This year, Maitan has about a .847% between SS and 3B

13 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

I wonder if these guys think of themselves as future 4th outfielders when they're in the minors.