• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

38 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

No.. I cannot think of any.  I think Trout was 18 when he started playing pro ball for us, right?

Trout would have been 17 years and just over 10 months when debuting with the rookie team in Arizona in June 2009 and putting up a .925 OPS in 164 at bats (ridiculous for that league and for age 17), before skipping over Orem and being promoted straight to low-A Cedar Rapids for 15 at bats to finish up his 2009 season.     

23 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Anyone know anything about Ramirez? Specifically, how do his tools match up with other outfielders in the system? Is he comparable to the Deveaux/Adams level of tools or is he a step down to Knowles/Hermosillo?

Ya I haven’t come across a good scouting report on him either.  Probably tough to have good quantifiable scouting on a 15/16 y/o though. 

4 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Maitan with his 8th HR of the year, his 4th in 8 games. His triple-slash is now looking vaguely decent: .253/.311/.409, or at least Pujolsian.

Anyhow, a .253/.311/.409 line from an 18-year old in Orem isn't half bad.

And someone with his skill set could get really good, really fast. He’s still very young and this was definitely a nice rebound for him. 

August 20, 2018

Salt Lake (70-65) lost 2-3 vs. Reno/ARI (69-67) in 11 innings 

• Hermosillo: 1-5, K, still at DH
  • Rengifo: 0-5
  • Thaiss: 1-4, RBI, BB, K
  • Walsh: 0-3, 2 BB, K
  • Fernandez: 1-3, R, HR (16), RBI, BB
  • Pineyro: 6 IP, 6 H, ER, BB, 7 K - last 5 GS, 3.30 ERA, .229 BAA in 30 IP with 6 BB, 27 K. Still has a 6.81 AAA ERA though.
  • McGuire: 2 IP, H, 2 K
  • Tazawa: 1.2 IP, H
  • Sherman Johnson: IP, 2 H, ER

Mobile (65-67) lost 7-8 vs. Montgomery/TBR (76-60) in 10 innings 

• Jones: 2-4, 2 R, 2B, BB, SB (9)
  • Houchins: 1-5, R, HR (10), 3 RBI
  • Sanger: 1-4, R, HR (7), 2 RBI, K
  • J. Rodriguez: 5 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
  • Almeida: 2 IP, H, 2 K - LHP has allowed a .172 BAA this year, but walked 55 in 60.2 IP (with 73 K); .113 BAA vs. lefties

Inland Empire (67-69) won 5-4 vs. Lake Elsinore/SDG (64-72)

• Hunter, Jr.: 2-5, K, SB (5)
  • Marsh: did not play 
  • MacKinnon: 1-2, 2B, RBI, 2 BB, '18 OBP up to .414, and a .356/.482/.621/1.103 August slash (26 G/87 AB)
  • Leon: 1-3, R, HR (10), RBI, 2 BB, 2 K
  • Camargo: 2-4, SB (1)
  • Mattson: 4 IP, 2 H, 5 K
  • Diaz: 2 IP, 4 K

Burlington (50-81) lost 3-11 at Cedar Rapids/MIN (75-60)

• Rivas: 0-4, K
  • Martinez: 1-4, K
  • Soriano: 4 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 3 K - 74 pitches, 43 strikes - the 19-yr old (!!!) posted a 2.66 ERA in August (6 GS/23.2 IP) with a .200 BAA, 21 BB, 25 K and only 1 HR allowed on the season in 46.1 IP
  • Perez: 0.1 IP, 4 H, 5 R, 2 ER, BB, K

Orem (20-49) lost 2-9 vs. Grand Junction/COL (39-31) 

• Jackson: 2-5, 2B, 2 K, SB (4)
  • Maitan: 1-4, R, HR (8), RBI, 3 K - decent August slash of .271/.322/.495/.817
  • Knowles: 0-4, 2 K, E (2)
  • Sala: 2-4, K
  • Rivera: 3.1 IP, 4 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 4 BB, K, 2 HR - rough year for the young lefty in Orem. 14.14 ERA in 4 GS with 16 walks - and only 1 strikeout - in 7 innings. 
  • Cole: IP, 2 K - on the year, 25.1 IP, 8 BB, 30 K with a .238 BAA, 4.97 ERA at AZL/Orem 

21 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Just think for a minute what it would mean for our farm system if Maitan reached his potential.   Even if it was just the piece we used to get an Ace, it would just be huge.  

I know folks have thrown around a "maybe Pablo Sandoval" comp, that'd still be pretty damn useful for us. It'd effectively be in line behind Thaiss/Ward for the corners if he developed quickly, which I think he could. 

Sandoval aged 22-27 averaged:
.294/.346/.465/.811, with an OPS+ of 123 and 30 doubles, 17 HR, 42 BB, 75 K per ~140 games a year and 2-4 WAR annually.

That'd be pretty sweet.

18 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

I think we’ve reached the point of the year where some of the young guys that don’t have much experience playing 120+ game seasons are starting to wear down. A guy like Rengifo is probably running on fumes especially with all the travel/promotions he’s had and how active he’s been on the basepaths

His BA has dipped, but he's still walking and not striking out much, so that's a good sign. He's very young for the league too.

But yes, definitely some fatigue settling in. Myself included! What an exciting year on the farm tracking some of these players. 

14 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

I think we’ve reached the point of the year where some of the young guys that don’t have much experience playing 120+ game seasons are starting to wear down. A guy like Rengifo is probably running on fumes especially with all the travel/promotions he’s had and how active he’s been on the basepaths

He played 125 games last season and, at 123 games, he'll come close to that but last season it was all at A ball while he advanced 3 levels this season.

.300 .397 OBP .853 OPS 29 2B 13 3B 7 HR 62 RBI 41 SB 16 CS 70 BB 69 K is a hell of a total season

.274 .348 OBP .777 OPS at AAA shows he may have finally found a challenge but not overmatched.  Looking forward to seeing what he can do from here.

1 hour ago, mulwin444 said:

He played 125 games last season and, at 123 games, he'll come close to that but last season it was all at A ball while he advanced 3 levels this season.

.300 .397 OBP .853 OPS 29 2B 13 3B 7 HR 62 RBI 41 SB 16 CS 70 BB 69 K is a hell of a total season

.274 .348 OBP .777 OPS at AAA shows he may have finally found a challenge but not overmatched.  Looking forward to seeing what he can do from here.

Starts 2019 in AAA, and if Fletcher becomes a utility guy, call Rengifo up by June?

41 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Starts 2019 in AAA, and if Fletcher becomes a utility guy, call Rengifo up by June?

Who knows...

As much as people here want to push Fletcher into the utility role, he's hit .276 .316 .683 OPS 89 OPS+ at 62 games at 1.5 WAR.

That projects to a 3.5 to 4.0 WAR over an entire season which would put him 4th in the AL (5th in the MLB) behind Lowrie, Altuve and Merrifield.  

We'd like to think Rengifo could be better than Fletcher but hard to say at this point since he hasn't faced MLB pitching.  Also, no guarantees Fletcher repeats this next season.

Between Cozart, Fletcher, Ward, Rengifo, and JMF we have a lot of people and a lot of question marks.

@totdprods, @Stradling, I have thought of Pablo Sandoval for Maitan as well, although mainly only because of the fat guy assocation (and to be fair to Maitan, he isn't fat - just not a scrawny 16-year old anymore).

Miggy Cabrera is the absolute dream. Pablo Sandoval (the good version) is the hope. It is hard to imagine something less that isn't total flaming out in the minors. In other words, I see a bit of an either/or trajectory: either he becomes an impact major leaguer (Sandoval or better) or he flames out. 

18 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Miggy Cabrera is the absolute dream. Pablo Sandoval (the good version) is the hope. It is hard to imagine something less that isn't total flaming out in the minors. In other words, I see a bit of an either/or trajectory: either he becomes an impact major leaguer (Sandoval or better) or he flames out. 

Just once, I want to see an up-and-coming Angels prospect be compared to someone who is of a different ethnicity.

Even Jo Adell is being compared to other black dudes.

;)

5 hours ago, Taylor said:

Just once, I want to see an up-and-coming Angels prospect be compared to someone who is of a different ethnicity.

Even Jo Adell is being compared to other black dudes.

;)

Haha, this is true - but not only of Angels prospects.

Actually, I was thinking of several third basemen of yore that were white dudes but no one quite matched. George Brett came to mind as another best-case scenario, but he was high average, good but not great power, some speed and good defense early in his career. Maitan seems more like a slow power guy with poor defense at 3B. I hope he hits for a good average, but that remains to be seen.