• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

9 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Against teenagers in a hitter friendly Arizona environment. It's just hard to say one way or the other how many homeruns Jackson will hit in the majors if he makes it at all.

My scouting in this case relies on a ton of projection.

I would actually prefer to see Jackson develop less into a all-or-nothing high power/high K guy, and see a more balanced BA/OBP/SLG player. 

One of the things that excites me about the farm is that the Angels seem to be emphasizing plate discipline more. You’ve got quite a few guys who walk above average rates, and some of them only starting this year: Ward, Rengifo, Jones, Marsh, even Adams and Knowles. Hopefully we’ll see Adell and Jackson take more walks.

5 hours ago, totdprods said:

Obviously, Adell, Rengifo, Suarez, Canning, Ward, Thaiss, and Fletcher have all made huge strides this year...Marsh, Hermosillo, and Jones haven't hurt themselves either...

But there's another tier of players who have progressed very nicely; Jackson, Beasley, Knowles, Soto, Kruger, Hunter Jr., Torres, Madero, Walsh, Rojas, Del Valle, Orlando Martinez, even Gatto. Not to mention the benefits we've seen from Justin Anderson, Felix Pena, Briceno, Arcia, JMF, and Taylor Cole.

Nonie Williams, Rivas, Deveaux, Castillo, Duensing, Rivera, maybe Jose Soriano, are the only ones that come to mind who have really fallen off track or disappointed this year.

A little harsh arent we....kid has 27 games under his belt.

I think we need to temper our expectations for some players.  

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

Against teenagers in a hitter friendly Arizona environment. It's just hard to say one way or the other how many homeruns Jackson will hit in the majors if he makes it at all.

Agree it's silly to make predictions based on AZL results but, as a AL prep player the AZL is a fairly decent step up from what he had been facing, and its worth noting the average age there is 20, Bbref has him as being 1.5 years younger than the league average.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I would actually prefer to see Jackson develop less into a all-or-nothing high power/high K guy, and see a more balanced BA/OBP/SLG player. 

Info at Stats.Inc has his walk rate as being above the league average.  They won't have swing rate data until after the seasons ends so no clue if he's chasing or not but he's not flat out hacking.  

Edited by Inside Pitch

1 hour ago, HaloNArizona said:

A little harsh arent we....kid has 27 games under his belt.

I think we need to temper our expectations for some players.  

My expectations were low, but he’s still disappointed. Plenty of time to turn around. I’m definitely not labeling him a bust in any way, have just seen less than I had hoped for. Expectations were similarly low, even lower for Knowles, and he’s looked fantastic. 

His BB% is the most encouraging sign so far that there’s still a good prospect there. The 36% K rate is troubling. ISO is not encouraging, BABip isn’t dramatic - in fact it suggests he’s been a little lucky.

For a player as raw and young as he, all I’m hoping to see is a standout skill or two in videos, or an OPS at least cracking .600 -.700. I know it’s still small sample size and he’s just stepping into his career so I’m not concerned about his long-term projection, just a tad disappointed in what I’ve seen so far. If he was striking out less, playing better defense, or showing a little more speed I’d mark him down in the ‘meeting expectations’ column - just haven’t seen that yet in the admittedly small sampling of videos, reports, and stats I’m able to see.

4 hours ago, totdprods said:

My expectations were low, but he’s still disappointed. Plenty of time to turn around. I’m definitely not labeling him a bust in any way, have just seen less than I had hoped for. Expectations were similarly low, even lower for Knowles, and he’s looked fantastic. 

His BB% is the most encouraging sign so far that there’s still a good prospect there. The 36% K rate is troubling. ISO is not encouraging, BABip isn’t dramatic - in fact it suggests he’s been a little lucky.

For a player as raw and young as he, all I’m hoping to see is a standout skill or two in videos, or an OPS at least cracking .600 -.700. I know it’s still small sample size and he’s just stepping into his career so I’m not concerned about his long-term projection, just a tad disappointed in what I’ve seen so far. If he was striking out less, playing better defense, or showing a little more speed I’d mark him down in the ‘meeting expectations’ column - just haven’t seen that yet in the admittedly small sampling of videos, reports, and stats I’m able to see.

Two or three years ago, who is slow start really wouldn't have bothered me at all.  He still would've been a top prospect, because he has all sorts of potential. But with so many high-end prospects in the system, and so many others performing at a high-level, Deveaux is lost in the mix and has underwhelmed, but only from a relative standpoint. 

Think of it this way, he'd still be a top three prosoect and Seattle's system.

6 minutes ago, TroutField said:

Do you guys think Jose Rojas has a spot on the Angels? Or is he mainly minor league filler? That’s a pretty nice OPS in AA and he was born in Anaheim, hometown kid story is always cool. 

He's a better hitter than we thought. Looks like a fringe major leaguer but could reach his ceiling as maybe a Hillenbrand type.

Rojas plays 1B and 3B, so could be in line for Valbuena’s job if Fernandez doesn’t do well. 

What is becaiming clear as talent starts to percolate upward is that Eppler is going to have excess to work with in trades. For instance, both Rengifo and Jones probably won’t be Angels long-term, or if both earn jobs then it means Fletcher is a trade chip. Etc.

Last night on the farm...

• Rengifo: 1-5, Thaiss: 0-4, 2 BB, Ward: 2-4, 2 BB, Fernandez: 3-6
  • Jared Walsh: 2-6, 2B, and pitched in his 6th game - 5.1 IP, .238 BAA, 1.69 ERA, 1.31 WHIP, K9 of 11.8 on the year.
  • Dustin Ackley: 3-5, HR (4) - slashing .308/.393/.436/.829 in 57 G/195 AB - 29 BB, 26 K, playing LF, 1B, and 2B - actually wouldn't mind seeing him get some Sept. ABs
  • 27-yr old C Joe Hudson, acquired from Cincy in a minor trade, is slashing .262/.326/.500/.826 in 12 SLC games, with 4 doubles, 2 HR - minor league CS% of 43%
  • Jeremy Rhoades last 10 games: 13.1 IP, 12 H, 3 BB, 13 K, 2.70 ERA - another potential reliever
  • Newly acquired Williams Jerez in his last game at Pawtucket: 0.2 IP, H, 2 K
  • Jahmai Jones last 10 games: .275/.375/.325/.695 - 6 walks, 11 strikeouts
  • Beasley: 4.1 IP, 6 H, 3 ER, 3 BB, 2 K
  • Torii Jr: 3-4, 2 R, 2B, RBI, BB, 4 SB (21) hitting leadoff, where his slash lies at .289/.370/.421/.791
  • Rivas: 2-4, Martinez: 2-4, 2B, Max Herrmann: 5 IP, 6 H, 0 ER, BB, 7 K
  • Mayky Perez: IP, BB, 2 K - 21-yr old 6'5" RHP - 2.61 ERA, 1.16 WHIP, only 7 hits allowed in 20.2 Burlington innings with 17 walks and 31 strikeouts
  • Livan Soto: 1-4, 2B, BB, E (15) - hitting .303 on the year now. Maitan: 0-2, 2 BB, 2 K
  • Christopher Molina: 5 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, BB, 6 K
  • Jose Quezada: 3-4, RBI, BB
  • 17-yr old 2B/3B Jose Guzman is slashing .291/.385/.418/.802 with 6 XBH, 12 BB, 18 K in 28 G/79 AB in the DSL

19 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Very few 18 year-olds for any org show the power in Arizona that Jackson has so far.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Last night on the farm...

• Rengifo: 1-5, Thaiss: 0-4, 2 BB, Ward: 2-4, 2 BB, Fernandez: 3-6
  • Jared Walsh: 2-6, 2B, and pitched in his 6th game - 5.1 IP, .238 BAA, 1.69 ERA, 1.31 WHIP, K9 of 11.8 on the year.
  • Dustin Ackley: 3-5, HR (4) - slashing .308/.393/.436/.829 in 57 G/195 AB - 29 BB, 26 K, playing LF, 1B, and 2B - actually wouldn't mind seeing him get some Sept. ABs
  • 27-yr old C Joe Hudson, acquired from Cincy in a minor trade, is slashing .262/.326/.500/.826 in 12 SLC games, with 4 doubles, 2 HR - minor league CS% of 43%
  • Jeremy Rhoades last 10 games: 13.1 IP, 12 H, 3 BB, 13 K, 2.70 ERA - another potential reliever
  • Newly acquired Williams Jerez in his last game at Pawtucket: 0.2 IP, H, 2 K
  • Jahmai Jones last 10 games: .275/.375/.325/.695 - 6 walks, 11 strikeouts
  • Beasley: 4.1 IP, 6 H, 3 ER, 3 BB, 2 K
  • Torii Jr: 3-4, 2 R, 2B, RBI, BB, 4 SB (21) hitting leadoff, where his slash lies at .289/.370/.421/.791
  • Rivas: 2-4, Martinez: 2-4, 2B, Max Herrmann: 5 IP, 6 H, 0 ER, BB, 7 K
  • Mayky Perez: IP, BB, 2 K - 21-yr old 6'5" RHP - 2.61 ERA, 1.16 WHIP, only 7 hits allowed in 20.2 Burlington innings with 17 walks and 31 strikeouts
  • Livan Soto: 1-4, 2B, BB, E (15) - hitting .303 on the year now. Maitan: 0-2, 2 BB, 2 K
  • Christopher Molina: 5 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, BB, 6 K
  • Jose Quezada: 3-4, RBI, BB
  • 17-yr old 2B/3B Jose Guzman is slashing .291/.385/.418/.802 with 6 XBH, 12 BB, 18 K in 28 G/79 AB in the DSL

Go Torii!

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Which of the bigger named prospects is closest to making the bigs? Ward is the one i keep reading about. Not sure where marsh and thaiss are timewise.

And would next year be too soon for renigfo? More like fletcher takes 2B next year with him aiming for 2020?

We have a number that are ready right now. 

Ward - The bat is ready, but he's still unsure of himself defensively at 3B. He'll eventually be a very good defender there, but that will take a couple years in my opinion.

Thaiss - The bat is close and defensively he's grown into an average 1B. In a couple of years the bat will be fully developed and he'll be solid.

Rengifo - He's ready right now in all facets of the game.

Fernadez - He's ready and the Angels need to give him at bats. The numbers he's put up in Cuba and ever since coming stateside aren't a fluke. This guy can flat out hit and get on base.

Hermosillo - This is a game of adjustments and he'd reached the point where AAA wasn't forcing those. Being promoted and struggling was the best thing that could've happened. Now he knows what he has to do and lately, he's been doing just that. He's major league ready, but he won't be ready to succeed in the majors for another year maybe.

Thanks Scotty, and so again what purpose is served by keeping Valnobuena, when others can be getting that valuable experience for next season? 

If Arte can't pay out $2.7 million to someone, and further the aforementioned development, maybe he isn't right for this business anymore?

It's been 26 games into the 2nd 81 games, and he still shows NO indication of hitting even decently.  

3 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

We have a number that are ready right now. 

Ward - The bat is ready, but he's still unsure of himself defensively at 3B. He'll eventually be a very good defender there, but that will take a couple years in my opinion.

Thaiss - The bat is close and defensively he's grown into an average 1B. In a couple of years the bat will be fully developed and he'll be solid.

Rengifo - He's ready right now in all facets of the game.

Fernadez - He's ready and the Angels need to give him at bats. The numbers he's put up in Cuba and ever since coming stateside aren't a fluke. This guy can flat out hit and get on base.

Hermosillo - This is a game of adjustments and he'd reached the point where AAA wasn't forcing those. Being promoted and struggling was the best thing that could've happened. Now he knows what he has to do and lately, he's been doing just that. He's major league ready, but he won't be ready to succeed in the majors for another year maybe.

So no thaiss until 2020 at least kikd of deal? (No room for him now anyway).

34 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

This could be done in 2019:  Split up the 324 starts at 1B/DH between Pujols, Ohtani, and Thaiss.

If Ohtani's forearm responds to the injection, then he would only DH 80-90 games.   Pujols should only get 120 starts max in 2019 before retirement.   That leaves some 120 starts for Thaiss.  

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Thaiss could serve in the Valbuena role, 120 games a year at 1B, but I feel like carry another 1B only will limit what Eppler or Scioscia want to do with the roster.

So probably a trade, which would be ironic. Our best current 1B CJ Cron is traded so the Angels can play a lesser hitter at 1B, and our best future 1B will also be traded for the same exact reason. 

If it weren't for the fact that the Angels dug up Rengifo in that trade, the stupidity of all of it would be maddening.