• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Canning ended up 3.2ip, 7h, 7er.  Six of those hits for extra bases.  Still had 6k.  

just an FYI, temp was 87 degrees with 20 mph winds blowing out. 

Bees couldn't take advantage but faced Dbacks 7th best prospect Taylor Clarke who gave up 2er over 7ip with 8h and 4k.  He's actually a guy he halos could target for acquisition should they move a guy like Parker at the deadline.  He'd probably be in our 10-15 range and he's major league ready.  

3 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Canning ended up 3.2ip, 7h, 7er.  Six of those hits for extra bases.  Still had 6k.  

just an FYI, temp was 87 degrees with 20 mph winds blowing out. 

Bees couldn't take advantage but faced Dbacks 7th best prospect Taylor Clarke who gave up 2er over 7ip with 8h and 4k.  He's actually a guy he halos could target for acquisition should they move a guy like Parker at the deadline.  He'd probably be in our 10-15 range and he's major league ready.  

It felt like 100 until about the 4th inning and the sun went behind the mountains and the temp cooled 10 degrees instantly.

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Adell - 2/4, 3b, hr (16).  1.011 ops.   he's 19.  not sure if everyone knows that.  I only point that out because he turned 19 in april.   too bad he can hit a fastball.

As someone mentioned earlier in this thread (couldn't find the comment) , Adell seems to have mastered every aspect of the hitting game so far except drawing a walk.  Now, it could be because the pitches look so ridiculously huge right now he's not being as selective or it's still an area of growth.  If he's putting up numbers like this 2 weeks to a month from now and his walk rate is still relatively low, I'm assuming they still promote him to AA because, at some point, he needs to be challenged. 

I think folks are putting far too much emphasis on his lack of walks. This time last year, Marsh had zero plate discipline, and a year later it's one of his strong suits.

Adell is only 19. Chances are, he'll walk more later on, and if he doesn't....well I don't think anyone is complaining about Brendan Rodgers or Bo Bichette as prospects despite the lack of selectiveness, and Adell is up there with both of them. He might even be better.

23 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I think I'd keep Adell in A+ for the rest of the year and just let him destroy the league, maybe a couple weeks in AA to end the year, and start him in Mobile next year and have him at the ready if Calhoun disappears again.

I think we'll let him play in A ball until the ASG and if he continues to dominate, there's no point in holding him at A. 

17 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I think folks are putting far too much emphasis on his lack of walks. This time last year, Marsh had zero plate discipline, and a year later it's one of his strong suits.

Adell is only 19. Chances are, he'll walk more later on, and if he doesn't....well I don't think anyone is complaining about Brendan Rodgers or Bo Bichette as prospects despite the lack of selectiveness, and Adell is up there with both of them. He might even be better.

I've actually seen concerns about Brendan Rodger's walk rate from some, not as much about Bichette but, he's walking 9% of the time .vs a K rate of 15% as a 20 year old in AA so he's showing improved plate discipline.  Anyway, Adell walking or not walking is a pretty significant deal for him, one that will help him retain value during slumps and over the course of his career.  I don't think anyone is putting too much emphasis on it, nobody is writing him off but there is no denying it's the weakest part of his game currently -- it's okay to point out Superman has trouble with Kryptonite too..   It's great Marsh has taken that step forward, it will be great when Adell does, but he's not there yet and it's an area he can improve on.   

As was posted before, when the ball looks so large you really don't want to wait out the count. Adell is getting the most out of his at bats while he is ahead of the talent. When that catches up with him is when he has to make adjustments. That will be his timetable indicator, if he can quickly adapt to better than his current talent level. 

2 minutes ago, Blarg said:

As was posted before, when the ball looks so large you really don't want to wait out the count. Adell is getting the most out of his at bats while he is ahead of the talent. When that catches up with him is when he has to make adjustments. That will be his timetable indicator, if he can quickly adapt to better than his current talent level. 

This is pretty much it -- the walks are low but it hasn't been exposed as a weakness.  There is really nothing in his game to date that should make one believe he won't walk, in fact if you hear the things he says, the dude is constantly talking up waiting for his pitch.  He's just whomping the ball right now.

23 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I've actually seen concerns about Brendan Rodger's walk rate from some, not as much about Bichette but, he's walking 9% of the time .vs a K rate of 15% as a 20 year old in AA so he's showing improved plate discipline.  Anyway, Adell walking or not walking is a pretty significant deal for him, one that will help him retain value during slumps and over the course of his career.  I don't think anyone is putting too much emphasis on it, nobody is writing him off but there is no denying it's the weakest part of his game currently -- it's okay to point out Superman has trouble with Kryptonite too..   It's great Marsh has taken that step forward, it will be great when Adell does, but he's not there yet and it's an area he can improve on.   

Bichette's walk rate definitely improved between 19 in A+ and 20 in AA. I think as you would put it, he was simply "whomping" the ball as Adell is right now.

And I think that essentially is where Adell is right now.

I haven't heard too much concern about Rodgers lack of walk rate. I think at this point it won't matter much because he's a power hitter headed to Colorado and he plays good defense up the middle. I mean he might translate to 30-40 HR's in Coors Field and that's great from a middle infielder.

13 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

This is pretty much it -- the walks are low but it hasn't been exposed as a weakness.  There is really nothing in his game to date that should make one believe he won't walk, in fact if you hear the things he says, the dude is constantly talking up waiting for his pitch.  He's just whomping the ball right now.

I blame the league for encouraging him with so many good pitches to hit.

10 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I haven't heard too much concern about Rodgers lack of walk rate. I think at this point it won't matter much because he's a power hitter headed to Colorado and he plays good defense up the middle. I mean he might translate to 30-40 HR's in Coors Field and that's great from a middle infielder.

I agree, it's all a tad overblown.   You worry about walk rates when you're seeing a ton of swing and miss or a guy is being exploited by a certain pitch otherwise it's noise.   I improperly used the term concern when referencing Rodgers.. just meant it's something that I've seen chatter about.  But I'm with you on him, I don't think anyone will care of he's walking 30 times a year if he's putting up Vinny Castilla type power numbers up the middle.

Edited by Inside Pitch

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

lady gaga point GIF

From BA:

Tuesday's Stars

Jo Adell, OF, Angels. Another day, another Adell home run. Adell added a triple to go with his 10th high Class A home run and 16th overall. This one went to straight center field, clearing the 410-foot sign. We're watching a very good prospect turn into a top prospect in front of eyes daily. Adell is one of the most athletic players in baseball, and he's got the production to match. He's hitting for power with a reasonable strikeout rate (under 25 percent this season) and he has speed and defensive skills in the outfield.

Brandon Marsh, OF, Angels. The Angels penchant for physical, speedy outfielders has helped revitalize what was a once dormant farm system. Marsh has had significantly more adjustment issues with the jump to high Class A than Adell, but he seems to be figuring it out. He went 3-for-4 last night with a pair of triples and raised his slash line to .244/.338/.361.