• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

On 6/19/2018 at 1:02 PM, Angelsjunky said:

Utah and Colorado are both incredibly beautiful states in terms of nature, but Pueblo is both a dump and very remote - an old steel town that is a couple hours from Denver. At least Orem is close to Salt Lake City. Either way, they're pit stops along the way and should prove incentive. There's a reason (beyond distance) that there isn't a minor league club in Maui.

hey, @Chuckster70, if the maui angels ever become a thing, i'd like to volunteer to cover them for aw.com. you won't have to pay me a thing, either.

49 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Also, for those curious about Griffin Canning, he's a full 50 innings into his professional career.  Generally speaking, the Angels try to keep their minor leaguers between 120-150 innings max per year.  If we figure he made two appearances in Advanced A Ball before the Angels and everyone else realized it wasn't fair to the rest of the league, and was promoted to AA, and upon reaching AA they gave him 10 starts to challenge himself and improve, it's likely Canning gets another 10 or so in AAA, regardless of how good he is.  Of course this is all dependent upon the health of the major league staff. 

But if Canning is dominant for 10 more outings, likely 50-ish innings, we could see a promotion.  By that time, you're looking at max, 20-50 more innings to protect his arm.  That's about two full months from now, which would put him right up against September. 

So for those thinking Griffin Canning could be a September call up, I think that makes some sense.  But even if he is, the Angels will likely have him in the bullpen to further limit his innings.  But who knows, maybe he takes to it and makes the playoffs roster. 

He threw 119 innings for UCLA a year ago.

150 innings would seem to be a good limit for 2018.

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

Also, for those curious about Griffin Canning, he's a full 50 innings into his professional career.  Generally speaking, the Angels try to keep their minor leaguers between 120-150 innings max per year.  If we figure he made two appearances in Advanced A Ball before the Angels and everyone else realized it wasn't fair to the rest of the league, and was promoted to AA, and upon reaching AA they gave him 10 starts to challenge himself and improve, it's likely Canning gets another 10 or so in AAA, regardless of how good he is.  Of course this is all dependent upon the health of the major league staff. 

But if Canning is dominant for 10 more outings, likely 50-ish innings, we could see a promotion.  By that time, you're looking at max, 20-50 more innings to protect his arm.  That's about two full months from now, which would put him right up against September. 

So for those thinking Griffin Canning could be a September call up, I think that makes some sense.  But even if he is, the Angels will likely have him in the bullpen to further limit his innings.  But who knows, maybe he takes to it and makes the playoffs roster. 

I was actually kidding, but nice to have a reasonable take that does allow for where if he continues to excel, we see him in September. 

22 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

maybe.  I think they'll limit him to about 120 though.  It wouldn't bother me at all if they let him make the next start in place of Lamb and put the big lefty in the pen.  

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

maybe.  I think they'll limit him to about 120 though.  It wouldn't bother me at all if they let him make the next start in place of Lamb and put the big lefty in the pen.  

I’m pretty surprised the Angels are pushing him this hard. He literally went from college to being on the doorstep of the majors in 14 months. Although he probably wouldn’t be in AAA if the Angels could keep any pitchers healthy. 

A bullpen role in September up here to limit his innings and to slowly break him into the majors makes too much sense.

35 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

if you followed me on twitter, you'd know that jeff fletcher said not to get too excited about seeing canning in anaheim this year. they're not going to rush him up here.

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

necessity is the mother of invention history teacher.  

not saying i agree or disagree with fletch. i'd like to see canning get called up in september and make a start or two if he's up for it and it won't hurt him. i'm hopeful he'll be here full time opening day next year.

but seriously, you should follow me on twitter. i'm doing a lot of cutting edge stuff there, and that's really the most important point in my post.

16 minutes ago, TroutField said:

I’m pretty surprised the Angels are pushing him this hard. He literally went from college to being on the doorstep of the majors in 14 months. Although he probably wouldn’t be in AAA if the Angels could keep any pitchers healthy. 

A bullpen role in September up here to limit his innings and to slowly break him into the majors makes too much sense.

have watch about half his starts.  I don't think they're pushing him as much as noticing his focus and want to limit his boredom.  Him vs. AA hitters was like watching Scherzer or Verlander.  Even when he wasn't totally on, he was still very good.  He's not either of those guys (not likely anyway) but you could clearly see the level of competition just wasn't there.  

He gave up 27 hits in 45.2ip at AA with 9 of those coming in one start where he gave up 4 of his ten earned runs.  It was his second to last AA start.  They let him make one more after that where he went 5.2ip, 2h, 1bb, 6k.  He had a 6 start stretch where his era was 0.32 with 7h in 28ip.  What that tells me is his worst start was likely a lack of focus.  

8 minutes ago, Tank said:

not saying i agree or disagree with fletch. i'd like to see canning get called up in september and make a start or two if he's up for it and it won't hurt him. i'm hopeful he'll be here full time opening day next year.

but seriously, you should follow me on twitter. i'm doing a lot of cutting edge stuff there, and that's really the most important point in my post.

how do you know I'm not following you under a different name?  

canning need to get called up now.  He's better than Cam, Lamb, Morris, Paredes, Pena, Ramirez.  Maybe Barria, Anderson and Parker as well.  (probably not Parker).  Skaggs and Heaney are the only two that are better for sure.  

this team needs pen help.  Pena and Lamb would likely help with that if the Halos gave Canning and Suarez some starts.  

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

how do you know I'm not following you under a different name?  

wait, are that mysterious artist chick that just started following me today? cool! i like all the classic art pictures you've posted on your feed.

p.s. i knew it was you all along

1 minute ago, Tank said:

wait, are that mysterious artist chick that just started following me today? cool! i like all the classic art pictures you've posted on your feed.

p.s. i knew it was you all along

that's not me.  I'm Jed from ourkansas.  I'm the one posting pics of my gun rack and food pron of shakees pizza.  

20 hours ago, totdprods said:

Swanda, Yan, Molina, Rivera, and Duensing have the makings of a really fun rotation to watch develop, but Duensing is starting to tread water.

Jinx powers are strong right now. 
Duensing last night: 4 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K - 60 pitches, 40 strikes

Other highlights: 
AAA
Eric Young Jr. played some 2B after an apparent injury to Nolan Fontana. 
Blash hit HR #19, Rymer Liriano #14
Miguel Almonte is back in SLC and could factor into our rotation depth by end of year

AA
Jason Alexander continues to have a nice year - 13 G, 4.05 ERA, 66.2 IP, .224 BAA, 1.14 WHIP, 20 BB, 63 K
Connor Lillis-White - 37 IP, 3.65 ERA, 17 BB, 48 K, .225 BAA
Tyler Stevens - 25 G, 37.1 IP, 2.17 ERA, .191 BAA, 0.99 WHIP, 10 BB, 51 K

AZL
D'Shawn Knowles went 2-3 with 2B, 3 R, and 2 BB in his first start, playing CF

DSL
Jose Reyes (17 yr. old OF) showing good patience (10 BB) and power (6 XBH) through 16 games

7 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Canning is really good, maybe the best pitching prospect we’ve had since Jered Weaver (before Gumby phase).

I really like the idea of a September, even August, callup to the bullpen.

I'm not saying Canning will be better in the majors than Weaver was, but as a prospect, I'd rate Canning over Weav. 

Better stuff, projects better. He's more advanced than Newcomb too.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-pipeline-top-100-prospects-list-update/c-282070982

Top 100 Prospects update: 15 rise, 8 fall, 5 enter

green up arrowJo Adell, OF, Angels (No. 53 to No. 38)
Questions about his ability to handle quality pitching dogged him as an amateur but didn't stop him from going 10th overall in the 2017 Draft, and he's dispelling them by hitting .318/.373/.617 with 14 homers and 11 steals in 50 games across two Class A levels.

New Additions

green up arrowGriffin Canning, RHP, Angels (unranked to No. 96)
Concerns about his pre-Draft MRI knocked him from the first round to the second in 2017, yet he has reached the mid-90s with his fastball and showed an array of solid secondary pitches while reaching Triple-A just 12 starts into his pro debut this year.

4 hours ago, totdprods said:

Jinx powers are strong right now. 
Duensing last night: 4 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K - 60 pitches, 40 strikes

Other highlights: 
AAA
Eric Young Jr. played some 2B after an apparent injury to Nolan Fontana. 
Blash hit HR #19, Rymer Liriano #14
Miguel Almonte is back in SLC and could factor into our rotation depth by end of year

AA
Jason Alexander continues to have a nice year - 13 G, 4.05 ERA, 66.2 IP, .224 BAA, 1.14 WHIP, 20 BB, 63 K

Connor Lillis-White - 37 IP, 3.65 ERA, 17 BB, 48 K, .225 BAA
Tyler Stevens - 25 G, 37.1 IP, 2.17 ERA, .191 BAA, 0.99 WHIP, 10 BB, 51 K

AZL
D'Shawn Knowles went 2-3 with 2B, 3 R, and 2 BB in his first start, playing CF

DSL
Jose Reyes (17 yr. old OF) showing good patience (10 BB) and power (6 XBH) through 16 games

Easiest gloss of all time......COSTANZA!!!!!! 

11 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Canning is really good, maybe the best pitching prospect we’ve had since Jered Weaver (before Gumby phase).

I really like the idea of a September, even August, callup to the bullpen.

You want to put Canning in the pen?