• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2018 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

17 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I was told that TR instructed Bane to go after those guys in 2010. Guys like Bolden, Clarke and Cowart were talent project picks after a draft that landed them top notch talent that would move quickly in Corbin, Skaggs, Trout, Grichuk...

These were not Bane guys.

So, Bane was the fall guy or a racial thing?

8 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I was told that TR instructed Bane to go after those guys in 2010. Guys like Bolden, Clarke and Cowart were talent project picks after a draft that landed them top notch talent that would move quickly in Corbin, Skaggs, Trout, Grichuk...

J. Pierpont Reagins and Dipussy, the real reasons behind the franchise’s slump this decade

Eppler has the future looking like night and day, next to those two buffoons.

17 hours ago, Stax said:

The knock I have with Suarez is that he is under sized, 5' 10" 170. But there are under sized pitchers that made it, Billy Wagner, and he has made great progress since signing in 2015. The other is inning pitched, but if the Angels increase his innings pitched per outing  and he maintains this level of performance, is going to be something special.

The prime undersized example:

Pedro

11 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

and let's think of it this way.  Anyone worth anything in the 2010 draft would have been traded away by Dipoto anyway.  

Man, I know Gatto had a rough last start, but was stellar up until then, but look at the curve his spinning this season.

5 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Man, I know Gatto had a rough last start, but was stellar up until then, but look at the curve his spinning this season.

This is why I just put him in the mid-teens in my new Top 30 list.

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

It looks like it's moving arm side.  How the hell does he not eat people up with that thing?

Same as high school, he's missing up, and goes to it too much when his change up command isn't there. I've watched him enough to know those for sure. 

I still like him though. The fastball is firm and if he spots it in the corners and wisely mixes the change and curve, he'll be a #3/4/5 starter.

On 4/30/2018 at 12:53 PM, Angel Oracle said:

Still LOL at Dipussy having $5 million for international signings.   Will he try for $10 million next, and end up not spending any of it until late and then signing the next Baldoquin?  

That money was lost if he didn't use it....    I think he traded away a chunk of it to trade for a guy he had traded away only a few months earlier..     Yes, seriously...

On 4/29/2018 at 3:26 PM, Lou said:

If he does that again for the next 5 games he'll be batting .533*

*public school math

.533 BA . . . that would be . . . acceptable.

Edited by Tank

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Something has clicked for this guy....  Or they fixed him

Doubtful, his K rate has gone up, but that's literally all that's happened with him so far this year.

Allows just as many baserunners still. I think if he wants a shot he needs converted to relief. He's 23 now still stuck in A+.

2 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Doubtful, his K rate has gone up, but that's literally all that's happened with him so far this year.

Allows just as many baserunners still. I think if he wants a shot he needs converted to relief. He's 23 now still stuck in A+.

.....and K rate is the biggest predictor of future success for a SP.    Baseball 101.

I'm not jumping on his bandwagon, but there is no denying he's taken a significant step forward in at least one area...  He's always been a guy that had quality stuff but had never been able to put people away.  Now he's putting up a K rate of 11%..   Sorry, that's a drastic change... anytime someone can more than double their K-BB% from where it was the previous year 16.2% .vs 6.5 it bears watching.  He's still walking too many people .... that's the biggest wart -- but if you look at his batted ball info, his .398 BABIP allowed this year is about 100 points north of the league average. 

Lastly he is still inducing ground balls at elite levels 54%...  

It's early, but if that K rate stays north of 9% all year Gatto's future looks significantly better than at any point in his career.

23 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

.....and K rate is the biggest predictor of future success for a SP.    Baseball 101.

I'm not jumping on his bandwagon, but there is no denying he's taken a significant step forward in at least one area...  He's always been a guy that had quality stuff but had never been able to put people away.  Now he's putting up a K rate of 11%..   Sorry, that's a drastic change... anytime someone can more than double their K-BB% from where it was the previous year 16.2% .vs 6.5 it bears watching.  He's still walking too many people .... that's the biggest wart -- but if you look at his batted ball info, his .398 BABIP allowed this year is about 100 points north of the league average. 

It's early, but if that K rate stays north of 9% all year Gatto's future looks significantly better than at any point in his career.

Strictly from a scouting perspective, you're absolutely right. There's more to Gatto than most realize. And it makes sense, he's a prep second rounder, spent multiple seasons in rookie ball, then was awful in A Ball. 

That alone is enough to make him pretty much ignored. He isn't a draw, scouts won't go out of their way to see him. The only people that have seen him recently are ones that pretty much stumbled across him. The only people still purposefully looking at him either work for the Angels or are Angels fans.

But for those still watching, since the end of last year he's shown periodic glimpses into what he can be. Big, strong frame, pumps 94 with a pretty clean delivery. When working properly, he uses a very effective downhill plane to hit the corners and spins off a plus breaking ball and decent change up. 

As a starter, Gatto may not break into the big leagues until he's 26, but he might also break in at 24. But there's more to build off of with him than other 23 year olds in A Ball.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

I hear you, K rate is definitely important but it's a far cry from guaranteed success. See Marco Estrada.

I just don't see Gatto making it out of AA.

If Marsh's power shows up in games, he's gonna be an absolute beast.  

Hunter Jr.  8 for his last 10.  Another 30 points up for his avg.  plus a sb.  now at 9.  and a double.  from .185 to .267 in two games.  that's nuts unless your in game 3.