• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

How many future Hall of Famers are on the roster?

Two for sure in Albert Pujols and Mike Trout. They may end up being "inner circle" Hall of Famers, which is insane if you think about it, I don't think any other teams can claim that.

But are there any others?

1. Simmons is a legitimate possibility in my mind. Ozzie Smith's offensive numbers were good not great, but he made it on the strength of his defense. Simmons might be even better defensively, and if he continues to hit like he has since coming to the Angels, he could have a shot. He'd need to be a legitimate starting SS past 35 to do it.

2. Justin Upton has been producing at the plate for a decade now and he's only 30. If he somehow keeps doing it for another 8 years, he could be close. You can't expect anyone to hit like that from age 20-38, but if it happens he'd have to be in the conversation.

3. Shohei Ohtani. I'm not going to get ahead of myself here. I'll just say that if he really does manage to pull off the two-way player thing, and can do it for a decade, then keep pitching or hitting (one or the other) for another few years, he'd make a very unique case.

Upton has no chance at it. He's in the Torii Hunter "Hall of Very Good" category, but will never get seriously considered for the Hall of fame. Simmons would have to have a career close to as long as Omar Vizquel's to get consideration. Has a shot but it's a long ways away right now. Ohtani has played 3 games.

Trout - just needs to get to the qualifying ten years.

Pujols - already in, although has slipped from "inner circle."

Upton - probably not, unless he has another 5+ years like 2017. But I agree he's Hall of Very Good (as is Kinsler).

Simmons - maybe. He needs to play a long time, and probably has to get his hitting stats up.

Ohtani - way too soon to tell.

Getting super ahead of ourselves with the Ohtani talk... But what are message boards for?!

Let's say he has a borderline HOF case. Let's say a career similar to Vlad or Larry Walker. Does he have a better chance to get in if the two way player makes a comeback - he started a trend and changed baseball - or are chances better if no one else does it and he's a unique talent?

Yes I know it's too soon, but let's accept facts.  If he pulls off the two way feat he will b e in.  He doesn't even have to produce HOF numbers.  Just produce solid numbers as pitcher and a hitter he will get because he is performing an historic feat.

37 minutes ago, True Grich said:

I'm projecting Jered Weaver's son - Aden as a HOF'er right now.

Too early? 

maybe not. he already has one stolen base.

*he was the kid contestant to run and steal third base between innings on monday night

obviously trout and pujols (and once pujols reaches 3000 hits, that should settle it for those of you on board the 'inner circle' nonsense, whatever that means).

simmons has a shot. if ozzie made it purely because of his defense, than simmons has a legit shot. 

it should be fun to watch ohtani over his career. if his start this first week is going to become par for him, it should be great to watch him play. good enough to be in the hall? no idea.

I'm really not saying Ohtani is a HOF player. Please read again. If he pulls off the two way player thing, he'd make a unique case....that's it.

I think both Upton and Simmons can do it, but that will largely be dependent upon their longevity. If Upton keeps knocking in 100, with 30 HR's for the next 8 years, that would put him at 500 HR's and 1600 RBI's.

That would be more HR's and RBI's than Andre Dawson, who is a HOFer.

Simmons, if he plays into his late 30's would probably have the WAR to be considered.

Ian Kinsler will almost assuredly get a vote from Evan Grant because that dude is an asshat. 

upton, if he reaches 500/1600, will be interesting to watch. i can't really think of any season where he has really shined statistically (i could be wrong because i haven't really watched his career very intensely).

Agree with the 3.  Simmons is an interesting case; I would say he has a 75% chance of making it at this point.  I compared Ozzie's career and Andrelton's career.  Simmons has been the better player so far during their age 27 season.  Ozzie didn't start becoming the player he is until his bat developed in his 30s, where as Simmons' bat has shown improvement in the past 2 seasons already.  If Simmons maintains his bat in the next 8 seasons, he'll be a shoe in at that point assuming a ~5 WAR a season.   I think the problem will be that Andrelton won't get the number of All star selections that Ozzie had.  The problem is that today's all star for SS's is their bat is at least an A- while their glove is a B- or lower.  Where as Simmons's value comes from having a A++glove with a B- bat.  In today's game and world, I don't think Ozzie would've been an all-star as many times as he was when he played.  It also helped that Ozzie played in one of the best franchises with the Cardinals.  Ozzie was also a charismatic player who got voted in numerous times where as Simmons will never get voted in by the fans.  

The HoF generally isn't kind to players like Kinsler, who don't have the flashy triple crown numbers but are solid across the board, including defensively. We have to look no further than our own Bobby Grich for an example of a guy who has a higher WAR than many HoFers.

Upton will only make it through longevity. He is a good player but not a great one, maybe fringe very good. I highly doubt he reaches 500/1600.

38 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

The HoF generally isn't kind to players like Kinsler, who don't have the flashy triple crown numbers but are solid across the board, including defensively. We have to look no further than our own Bobby Grich for an example of a guy who has a higher WAR than many HoFers.

Upton will only make it through longevity. He is a good player but not a great one, maybe fringe very good. I highly doubt he reaches 500/1600.

500/1600 would only be if he remained this good all the way through age 38. I highly doubt that would happen though, there are such a small fraction of guys that do that, and the ones that do maintain that degree of production, like Barry Bonds, David Ortiz, Manny Ramirez, or Nelson Cruz, have likely only done so through artificial means.

Chances are Upton will remain very productive through the next three years, moderately productive for another two, and then be done shortly thereafter, around age 36. Which would mean a Hunter-esque, very good but still not great career.

But the Hall is fickle though. I mean Jack Morris is a hall of fame pitcher, which is pretty comical.