• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Top two spin rates in MLB through the first weekend of baseball

Chuck

Spin Rate (SR)

Definition

A pitcher's Spin Rate represents the rate of spin on a baseball after it is released. It is measured in revolutions per minute.

The amount of spin on a pitch changes its trajectory. The same pitch thrown at the same Velocity will end up in a different place depending on how much it spins. (For instance, a fastball with a high Spin Rate appears to have a rising effect on the hitter, and it crosses the plate a few inches higher than a fastball of equal Velocity with a lower Spin Rate. Conversely, a lower Spin Rate on a changeup tends to create more movement.)

As more data have become available, most experts have agreed that fastballs and breaking balls are tougher to hit when they possess higher Spin Rates. In fact, some data suggest that Spin Rate correlates more closely than Velocity to swinging-strike percentage.

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/statcast/spin-rate

I think I put spin rate and velocity in the same category. They are both indicators of the balls movement, and both can help make a given pitch better. But, just like a high velocity ball can still be punished if its thrown badly (I'm looking at you, Middleton), a high spin ball doesn't mean its a well thrown ball. It just helps.

It seems to me like there are four factors that influence how easy/hard it is to hit a pitch: velocity, movement, location, and pitch sequencing (things like tunneling, perspective adjustments, etc). Spin rate acts as a good proxy for movement, as it is often the source of that movement (more so for fastballs, less so for knuckle balls - though...not a lot of those out there). In the past, most people have only really looked at velocity, because that's the easiest thing to measure and look at. But, I think the goal of the sabermetric approach to pitching is to start putting numbers on the other ones. I haven't heard to a good measurement for location (largely because it is pretty subjective - I guess you could measure average distance from the corner of the strike zone or something though), but I have seen some stuff on tunneling which is really interesting.

42 minutes ago, Jobu said:

Spin Rate (SR)

Definition

A pitcher's Spin Rate represents the rate of spin on a baseball after it is released. It is measured in revolutions per minute.

The amount of spin on a pitch changes its trajectory. The same pitch thrown at the same Velocity will end up in a different place depending on how much it spins. (For instance, a fastball with a high Spin Rate appears to have a rising effect on the hitter, and it crosses the plate a few inches higher than a fastball of equal Velocity with a lower Spin Rate. Conversely, a lower Spin Rate on a changeup tends to create more movement.)

As more data have become available, most experts have agreed that fastballs and breaking balls are tougher to hit when they possess higher Spin Rates. In fact, some data suggest that Spin Rate correlates more closely than Velocity to swinging-strike percentage.

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/statcast/spin-rate

So, have they figured out a mean? Like a Blake Woods fastball, flat and straight.