• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

OC Register: A relaxed Shohei Ohtani passes his first regular season test, as Angels’ DH

OAKLAND — Mike Scioscia quipped on Thursday morning that Shohei Ohtani was like two people, one a hitter and one a pitcher.

Turns out that one of those people is more relaxed than the other.

After Ohtani’s major league debut as a hitter, a day in which he singled on the first pitch he saw and then made four outs, he said that he didn’t really have any nerves leading up to the milestone moment.

“As a hitter, I was never really nervous on opening day,” Ohtani said through his interpreter.

Then asked if he would be nervous on Sunday, when he will be the Angels’ starting pitcher, he said: “Probably.”

Ohtani’s comfort level at both is certain to increase throughout the season, as he adjusts to his new life in the major leagues, where the mound and the ball and the opponents and even the media are all new to him.

As the world watched him struggle through spring training in his attempt to become a two-way success in the majors, there were few signs of concern from Ohtani or the Angels.

While there was talk among outsiders that Ohtani, 23, might need some seasoning at Triple-A, the Angels never seriously considered it. General Manager Billy Eppler said before Thursday’s game that Ohtani’s raw talent, and his history over five years in Japan’s major leagues, were more important than his spring training batting average or ERA.

“Our evaluations, historical evaluations plus the track record in a league which we deem as close to the major leagues as you can get, point us in the direction of saying ‘Give this guy the opportunity to let his ability and his tools show,’” Eppler said. “So that’s what were going to do.”

When the first lineup of the season was posted in the Angels’ clubhouse on Thursday morning, Ohtani was listed as the designated hitter, batting eighth.

He rewarded the Angels for their confidence on the first pitch he saw from Kendall Graveman, yanking it into right field for a single.

“That’s probably an at-bat I’m not going to forget for the rest of my life,” Ohtani said.

The rest of his day didn’t go quite as well. He grounded out three times and he struck out. He did hit a couple hard ground balls, and he showed exceptional speed running down the line.

“I thought Shohei was fine,” Scioscia said. “He came in and had some good swings. Got the base hit and hit a couple balls hard. Out of the chute, it’s good for him to get out there.”

Scioscia said they’ll check on Ohtani on Friday to see if he’s OK to be the DH again. Presumably, he’d then get Saturday off in preparation for his start on Sunday.

It seems the Angels are going to stick close to what Ohtani’s routine was in Japan. His first start will come on seven days’ rest from his last outing of the spring. He has started only one time in the spring on less than six days’ rest, and that was following a 31-pitch outing.

Eppler wouldn’t say if the Angels plan to keep him pitching once a week indefinitely.

“With all of our players we try to make them as comfortable as possible so we look into historical workloads with everybody and try to allow that to happen if possible,” he said. “With the other starters in our rotation or guys who are candidates to join our rotation at some point in time, biomechanically and from a workload management standpoint, the less load and volume it stands to reason he greater the opportunity for recovery is.”

View the full article

It is very simple: If Ohtani hits well, he keeps hitting, if he doesn't, he rides pine. If he pitches well, he keeps starting, if he doesn't, he goes to AAA.

He shouldn't be treated differently than any other player. He's a rookie, and yes, he's a rather special rookie. But he's still a rookie - he should get his chances, but the bottom line is that the Angels should make their decisions on what is best for Ohtani's long-term, and what is best for the team. 

44 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

It is very simple: If Ohtani hits well, he keeps hitting, if he doesn't, he rides pine. If he pitches well, he keeps starting, if he doesn't, he goes to AAA.

He shouldn't be treated differently than any other player. He's a rookie, and yes, he's a rather special rookie. But he's still a rookie - he should get his chances, but the bottom line is that the Angels should make their decisions on what is best for Ohtani's long-term, and what is best for the team. 

John Smoltz has mentioned on numerous occasions that Shohei Ohtani should spend some time in AA + AAA until he’s ready for the Bigs. 

3 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

It’s been a topic of discussion since the Tijuana game. That begs the question.... if we sent him down for a couple of months to work on things would he truly be missed at this point?

And the topic was addressed in the article. I don't really expect the Angels to say anything other than what they are, but unless Smoltz was in camp or scouting the Angels, I fail to see how his opinion is anymore relevant than Eppler or Scioscia. Was he even in Arizona?

3 minutes ago, Jobu said:

And the topic was addressed in the article. I don't really expect the Angels to say anything other than what they are, but unless Smoltz was in camp or scouting the Angels, I fail to see how his opinion is anymore relevant than Eppler or Scioscia. Was he even in Arizona?

Smoltz had nothing but high praise for Ohtani. He acknowledged that Shohei has a ton of talent but kinda questioned why the Angels would rush him out there so quickly unless there was a signed agreement with guarantees that he would be on the opening day roster. He wasn’t putting Shohei down in any way and he is actually rooting for him to succeed at something no one else has done in 100 years. 

52 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

It’s been a topic of discussion since the Tijuana game. That begs the question.... if we sent him down for a couple of months to work on things would he truly be missed at this point?

He pitched in the Tijuana game...   He hasn't pitched in a non ST game yet..    

So, what about pitching at altitude in a park that plays nothing like Angel Stadium and with minor league baseballs is going to help him adjust to MLB?   I'd ask John Smoltz but he's not the one posting here.

You realize that MLB pitchers working on rehab assignments in the minors are allowed to pitch using MLB and not the MiLB balls -- right?   Why?  because they are different -- the leather, the seams -- MiLBs are made in China, the MLB balls in Costa Rica -- they play differently.   Much has been made of his trying to adjust from the Japanese league balls to MLB balls, so just for giggles ... lets have him play with a third ball -- Brilliant!

Dude needs reps -- he barely pitched last year so there is likely a lot of rust there...   At this point, it's likely for the best that he get his work in at the highest level with the catchers and coaches who will best get him to get acclimated to MLB.   

27 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

He pitched in the Tijuana game...   He hasn't pitched in a non ST game yet..    

So, what about pitching at altitude in a park that plays nothing like Angel Stadium and with minor league baseballs is going to help him adjust to MLB?   I'd ask John Smoltz but he's not the one posting here.

You realize that MLB pitchers working on rehab assignments in the minors are allowed to pitch using MLB and not the MiLB balls -- right?   Why?  because they are different -- the leather, the seams -- MiLBs are made in China, the MLB balls in Costa Rica -- they play differently.   Much has been made of his trying to adjust from the Japanese league balls to MLB balls, so just for giggles ... lets have him play with a third ball -- Brilliant!

Dude needs reps -- he barely pitched last year so there is likely a lot of rust there...   At this point, it's likely for the best that he get his work in at the highest level with the catchers and coaches who will best get him to get acclimated to MLB.   

Yep all that can be addressed in AAA with less pressure but no you’re right, let’s throw him to the lions right away because everything he accomplishes in the next 6-8 weeks will factor into what Ohtani will be doing in 2019. 

Additionally AAA instruction is mostly made by former MLB coaches and players so that shouldn’t be an issue. Hey I’m rooting for the guy, I just don’t want his confidence level to get destroyed by the more experienced players that he will be facing. 

1 hour ago, OHTANILAND said:

1 hour ago, OHTANILAND said:

Yep all that can be addressed in AAA with less pressure but no you’re right, let’s throw him to the lions right away because everything he accomplishes in the next 6-8 weeks will factor into what Ohtani will be doing in 2019. 

Additionally AAA instruction is mostly made by former MLB coaches and players so that shouldn’t be an issue. Hey I’m rooting for the guy, I just don’t want his confidence level to get destroyed by the more experienced players that he will be facing. 

You ignored the pertinent information and didn't answer the question posed to you.  Just more of the same narrative building.   

Bless your heart.....

52 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

You ignored the pertinent information and didn't answer the question posed to you.  Just more of the same narrative building.   

Bless your heart.....

IP,  I get it, you think he’s ready for the big leagues. I don’t think he is. I sincerely hope he proves me wrong because I’m excited that he’s in our organization. I have to admit that I believed the hype. I bought the jersey and made the sign so my intentions are good. I do think that he has a great future but I just don’t think his time is now. Fair enough?

4CB99D33-198A-4D90-B9D9-AD24E9630423.jpeg

This is always a question about prospects: What does "ready" mean? If Ohtani holds his own with an ERA around 4.50, is that ready? Does he need to be above average, and below 4.00? Does he need to be elite and below 3.00?

We don't even have a chance to ask the question until we see him actually pitch in a major league game...in a few of them, actually. If he's blown out in this first two or three games, sure, send him down. If he holds his own, play wait and see. If he does well, we're not having this conversation anymore.

2 hours ago, OHTANILAND said:

IP,  I get it, you think he’s ready for the big leagues. I don’t think he is. I sincerely hope he proves me wrong because I’m excited that he’s in our organization. I have to admit that I believed the hype. I bought the jersey and made the sign so my intentions are good. I do think that he has a great future but I just don’t think his time is now. Fair enough?

4CB99D33-198A-4D90-B9D9-AD24E9630423.jpeg

Actually.... I asked a question.  I offered no opinion as to whether or not he is ready -- NONE.   Nice try though.

Again... (because I can't ask Smoltz), how is going to AAA where he would pitch in an environment not remotely similar to Anaheim and with minor league baseballs (among other factors), going to help him get acclimated to MLB and his new reality?  It's a legit question, one meant to spur real discussion.  Sorry you weren't up to it -- but I wanted to be fair to you.

But since you felt the need to talk up your level of interest....  have you been following the Ohtani situation at all beyond the presser and buying the jersey?   Pretty much every article written about him talks about his trying to acclimate to a new culture, new surroundings, new teammates, and yes -- MLB baseballs.  Do you know anything about him beyond the talk that he throws hard and hits the ball far?  Are you aware the book on him was that his fastball tends to flatten out so it's his split that will likely become his out pitch?   Are you aware of how you throw a split?.... the impact of the seams on the movement?   Do they not talk about these things at holding up a sign school?  Because those things are kinda important and unless you don't believe his stuff translates to MLB then it's less about learning to pitch than it is those other things.. 

Now...  as far as what I think -- I think he needs reps.  The dude has pitched fewer competitive innings the last calendar year than either Heaney or Richards so, his being rusty, missing his spots and generally inconsistent isn't a real surprise...  Unfortunately because of all the other factors involved he's probably best served trying to get those at the MLB level -- and IMO it could get ugly.  It's not an ideal situation but it's the one the Angels find themselves in.  Lastly... maybe you missed it but I went on record early as saying I believed the Angels needed to worry less about letting him do what he's always done and instead try to help him adapt to what his new reality will be.   Ultimately they know the player better, so we can only hope they are reading the situation right but I haven't agreed with how they handled it..... but, they cut their deal so....  

BTW -- saying you "believed" the hype sorta undermines your feel good BS..  but whatever...  I know you need to do the whole -- "I'm really a good guy" routine like always.

You be you, Boo-Boo.

21 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Excellent!

We will welcome you with open arms when they give up on you.

6 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Actually.... I asked a question.  I offered no opinion as to whether or not he is ready -- NONE.   Nice try though.

Again... (because I can't ask Smoltz), how is going to AAA where he would pitch in an environment not remotely similar to Anaheim and with minor league baseballs (among other factors), going to help him get acclimated to MLB and his new reality?  It's a legit question, one meant to spur real discussion.  Sorry you weren't up to it -- but I wanted to be fair to you.

But since you felt the need to talk up your level of interest....  have you been following the Ohtani situation at all beyond the presser and buying the jersey?   Pretty much every article written about him talks about his trying to acclimate to a new culture, new surroundings, new teammates, and yes -- MLB baseballs.  Do you know anything about him beyond the talk that he throws hard and hits the ball far?  Are you aware the book on him was that his fastball tends to flatten out so it's his split that will likely become his out pitch?   Are you aware of how you throw a split?.... the impact of the seams on the movement?   Do they not talk about these things at holding up a sign school?  Because those things are kinda important and unless you don't believe his stuff translates to MLB then it's less about learning to pitch than it is those other things.. 

Now...  as far as what I think -- I think he needs reps.  The dude has pitched fewer competitive innings the last calendar year than either Heaney or Richards so, his being rusty, missing his spots and generally inconsistent isn't a real surprise...  Unfortunately because of all the other factors involved he's probably best served trying to get those at the MLB level -- and IMO it could get ugly.  It's not an ideal situation but it's the one the Angels find themselves in.  Lastly... maybe you missed it but I went on record early as saying I believed the Angels needed to worry less about letting him do what he's always done and instead try to help him adapt to what his new reality will be.   Ultimately they know the player better, so we can only hope they are reading the situation right but I haven't agreed with how they handled it..... but, they cut their deal so....  

BTW -- saying you "believed" the hype sorta undermines your feel good BS..  but whatever...  I know you need to do the whole -- "I'm really a good guy" routine like always.

You be you, Boo-Boo.

"holding up a sign school" .... lol