• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

MLB message boards are no longer available

JeezyPeezy @boogiewitstu 12h12 hours ago

Really cool of @MLB to just shut down the message boards without any notice. A place where thousands of fans have been interacting with one another for years. Friends were made. I know a couple that met and is now married. Is there any bad idea that MLB will not entertain?

@MLB Getting rid of the message boards was a terrible idea. Social media isn't the same thing, not even close. The Phillies message board was a tight community, now it is destroyed. Thanks a lot!

What happened to MLB message boards?

@FootballKing82 3h3 hours ago

@MLB shut down their message boards without any notice or warning, after years of having them so fans can communicate with each other. First @IMDb now @MLB. Freedom of speech doesn’t exist anymore.

--------------------------------------------------

First the Angels board a couple years ago, then the Cubs. Now MLB has shut them all down at once.

I would have to say it is a combination of PR control and deflection of liability as the reasons for them shutting them down. Look how social media outlets are being assigned blame for what their members say. Rather than the actual clubs owing the message boards, they are being farmed out to entities that are farther removed from the liability.

Possibly Angels Win is an example of this? I believe this site is now owned by NESN, the owner of the Boston Red Sox. I am sure I will be corrected, if I am wrong, but I thought Chuck posted that he/they sold AW to NESN.

31 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

I would have to say it is a combination of PR control and deflection of liability as the reasons for them shutting them down. Look how social media outlets are being assigned blame for what their members say. Rather than the actual clubs owing the message boards, they are being farmed out to entities that are farther removed from the liability.

Possibly Angels Win is an example of this? I believe this site is now owned by NESN, the owner of the Boston Red Sox. I am sure I will be corrected, if I am wrong, but I thought Chuck posted that he/they sold AW to NESN.

We were with NESN for a year. We've now joined forces with USA Today. Should be live on their website by early next week.

1 hour ago, WeatherWonk said:

May just come down to dollars...   If their unwillingness to pay even minimum wage is any indication MLB as an organization are a bunch of cheap twats -- I know Chuck went into his own pockets to keep this place running for years.   

With the advent of Twitter and such, people have taken to discussing baseball with others on a much wider scale than just a select message board.   So maybe the traffic finally started to slow down to where they no longer saw a point in keeping the message boards.

Does MLB.com allow people to comment or post to their articles?   It may just be the feel thats a better avenue too.

I used to post on the Angel MLB board for several years and it was a shame that it went the way it did. Now they've canned the rest of the teams..oh well.

For me message boards are much more fun, but maybe that's because I'm just used to it and am reluctant to change.

I will say this, I'm sure glad AngelsWin was here to move to after the other board closed.

1 hour ago, Randy Gradishar said:

The imdb one was the worst.

The IMDB forums were about 50 percent serious posters, 50 percent trolls by the time they shut them down. The trolls would mostly post non-stop negative things about TV shows and movies. I can see why TV/film companies might have an issue with their content being trashed and potentially deterring others from watching.

Just now, Taylor said:

The IMDB forums were about 50 percent serious posters, 50 percent trolls by the time they shut them down. The trolls would mostly post non-stop negative things about TV shows and movies. I can see why TV/film companies might have an issue with their content being trashed and potentially deterring others from watching.

They were at times comically awful...  And yeah man -- I can see studios losing their shit over horrible "word of mouth" press on what was the go to movie site for many.   

23 hours ago, Angels#1Fan said:

I used to post on the Angel MLB board for several years and it was a shame that it went the way it did. Now they've canned the rest of the teams..oh well.

For me message boards are much more fun, but maybe that's because I'm just used to it and am reluctant to change.

I will say this, I'm sure glad AngelsWin was here to move to after the other board closed.

Yeah, I pop in on social media once in a while to check on things, but I discuss baseball here. I've always been a message board guy, not someone to post on blog articles like Halos Heaven or other websites, or spend my entire day trying to interact with random people I don't know on Twitter or FB. 

I just like the community feel of a message board.  

14 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Yeah, I pop in on social media once in a while to check on things, but I discuss baseball here. I've always been a message board guy, not someone to post on blog articles like Halos Heaven or other websites, or spend my entire day trying to interact with random people I don't know on Twitter or FB. 

Agreed...    I love Twitter as a news feed but find it impossible to get into any real back and forth on there.

23 hours ago, Taylor said:

So it's like the main forum here after a two game losing streak in April, only all the time? No wonder it got canned.

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Agreed...    I love Twitter as a news feed but find it impossible to get into any real back and forth on there.

Yeah, and it bugs me when fans tag players and either suck their dicks or trash them.

The Superfan element is thick on Twitter, and the trolls cannot be controlled like on a message board. 

I have always been partial to message boards, ever since I hit my first one on a Commodore 64 with a 300 baud modem. It's just a more comfortable medium, and I like the fact that the trolls can be weeded out - something that is impossible on social media. I use Facebook to keep in touch with friends, but not much else.

5 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Same here.

any reason given for doing this --

there seems to be a sort of a trend here.

an area weekly paper recently shut down their 'comments' section on articles.

they explained that the 'on line' comment/ chat section full of anonymous posters was just getting too toxic content wise to maintain.

On March 24, 2018 at 8:48 AM, WeatherWonk said:

@Chuckster70 

Announcement Forthcoming?