• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Interesting Albert Pujols tidbit

Chuck

of the at bats that I've seen from Albert in spring this year, my eyes are telling me there's more bat speed.  maybe it's what I want to see and not truly there.  But I feel like his timing is off because of the increased quickness and he's not squaring up as many balls as he could.  I am hoping over the next week he'll start to lock in and then you'll start seeing a different Albert than we've become accustomed to over the last 2-3 years.  I'm gonna guess he'll end up somewhere between his 2012 and 2014 numbers.  I think his avg will still be below .270, but I think we'll see an obp near .330 as I think his bb rate will go up some.  

Maybe it's just my rose colored spring glasses but he's gonna have a very good (acceptable to most) season.  

20 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

of the at bats that I've seen from Albert in spring this year, my eyes are telling me there's more bat speed.  maybe it's what I want to see and not truly there.  But I feel like his timing is off because of the increased quickness and he's not squaring up as many balls as he could.  I am hoping over the next week he'll start to lock in and then you'll start seeing a different Albert than we've become accustomed to over the last 2-3 years.  I'm gonna guess he'll end up somewhere between his 2012 and 2014 numbers.  I think his avg will still be below .270, but I think we'll see an obp near .330 as I think his bb rate will go up some.  

Maybe it's just my rose colored spring glasses but he's gonna have a very good (acceptable to most) season.  

I feel the same way and have seen the same things, @Dochalo. That said, we could just be optimistic because of his weight loss because he has tore it up in ST before, clubbing several home runs, only to come out of the gate slow.

Really hoping he turns it loose this season and we see the 2011-2012 version of Pujols again. 

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

I feel the same way and have seen the same things, @Dochalo. That said, we could just be optimistic because of his weight loss because he has tore it up in ST before, clubbing several home runs, only to come out of the gate slow.

Really hoping he turns it loose this season and we see the 2011-2012 version of Pujols again. 

I was gonna predict 2012 but tempered my expectations a bit.  The thing that seems different is normally he'll crush some spring fastballs over the wall because he knows they're coming.   I see him being out in front of everything right now.  Still cheating on the fastball, but it's resulting in foul balls to the left of the third base box as opposed to roll over grounders to SS or 3b.  

Again, I am probably reading too much into it, but I feel like once he gets his timing we'll see a different guy.  Not anything close to the prime guy, but at least serviceable.  At this point, if he rocks an ops above .750 it's more than we would have expected.  

26 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I was gonna predict 2012 but tempered my expectations a bit.  The thing that seems different is normally he'll crush some spring fastballs over the wall because he knows they're coming.   I see him being out in front of everything right now.  Still cheating on the fastball, but it's resulting in foul balls to the left of the third base box as opposed to roll over grounders to SS or 3b.  

Again, I am probably reading too much into it, but I feel like once he gets his timing we'll see a different guy.  Not anything close to the prime guy, but at least serviceable.  At this point, if he rocks an ops above .750 it's more than we would have expected.  

Stop it Doc... I do not want to have to raise my expectations!

41 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

He'll hit 25 HR and drive in 100 runs, again

I'll take what I can get from him at this point. No sense in being negative about it. 

...with a .275 OBP and a ton of GIDP's in the cleanup spot, with maybe a batting average around .250

He'll do a little worse next year, and worse still the following year, then Mike Trout will say "Sayonara!" and head back East to greener pastures.

15 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Although this might be true, it is also the case that if he repeats his line from last year - 143 hits over 593 at bats - his career batting average will drop to .301. And if he has 15 fewer hits this year than last year - as he did from 2016 to 2017 - his career batting average will drop to .299.

So there is a very real chance Pujols could go under .300, even it is unlikely.

14 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

...with a .275 OBP and a ton of GIDP's in the cleanup spot, with maybe a batting average around .250

He'll do a little worse next year, and worse still the following year, then Mike Trout will say "Sayonara!" and head back East to greener pastures.

Nice post chicken little