• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Gameday: 3/16 Angels vs Rockies

45 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

The media won't get "a vote". It's probably Ohtani who would be resistant to going down. The Angels don't have to listen, but they probably do if they want to ever sign a big time international FA like that again. They can't say it's to manipulate service time. That's against the CBA. The Cubs pretended it wasn't about service time. Also, there isn't that much money at stake. The Angels paid peanuts for Ohtani. Even with his struggles he's still one of their top 5 starters. Hopefully he can develop in the major leagues too. It's not like players stop getting coaching. We even have a dedicated "pitching coach" to help them.

Well, yeah, that's why I said they would have to have very clear communication with Ohtani and make SURE he understood it was for his long-term good. Given the language and cultural barriers, that could be a very difficult thing to do. And as for the CBA, no they don't state that's why their sending him down, anymore than the Cubs did. But it's kinda like stealing signs; strictly against the rules, but tough to prove and it happens. Finally, not just talking about Shohei's money; It's franchise value; its W's & L's, it's doing what's necessary for the good (and yes, the value) of the team. 

Hey, I'm not even arguing FOR this; it's just that if it happens, and IF it happens well, might not be the end of the world. I'm rooting for the guy - just watching him you can see the top-of-rotation talent is there. I'm not in the "Blowtani" camp; I just believe we are getting what we had every right to expect - a VERY young future ace learning to pitch. But I'm old enough to remember David Clyde, the first HS pitcher to go straight to the majors with Texas. HUGE expectations that he had no hope of living up to. Destroyed his confidence, ruined him as a pitcher. I firmly believe if they'd let him get his feet wet in the minors, allow him a normal learning curve, they could have had something special.  

5 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I've been told that's not going to happen. 

You were told that before today's game. He has not improved. There is little choice unless you want to see him slaughtered  with his flat fastball up in the zone. He needs time, it's not talent but it is a matter of not bring ready. 

1 minute ago, Blarg said:

You were told that before today's game. He has not improved. There is little choice unless you want to see him slaughtered  with his flat fastball up in the zone. He needs time, it's not talent but it is a matter of not bring ready. 

He looked great in the first inning. One inning doesn't ruin it for a kid with this type of talent. 

Lots of pitchers get hit hard in ST, but when the bell rings they're a different pitcher. 

I'm guessing he'll look a little better over the next two starts and be fine in the regular season. 

Chuck, great enthusiasm but he's just not there and there isn't enough games to say he will be. He was supposed to get in five innings, he didn't get out of the second. And his pitching is pointing to he won't be logging five innings any time soon against teams better than the Tijuana Torros. 

3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

He looked great in the first inning. One inning doesn't ruin it for a kid with this type of talent. Lots of pitchers get hit hard in ST, but when the bell rings they're a different pitcher. I'm guessing he'll look a little better over the next two starts and be fine in the regular season. 

If he struggles in his next couple of starts, he needs to work on things at SLC.....not sure why that is viewed as such a problem....he's 23, he has plenty of time to get straightened out....a month or two at SLC wouldn't be a problem....letting him get hammered in the bigs just because he was such a high profile signee isn't smart....

Didn’t Ohtani say in at one point the past couple of weeks “if I make the team”?  He knows he has to perform just like everyone else. If he’s not, he needs to work things out in the minors.  Not the end of the world. 

The Astros starters have been quality this spring, but let's look at the rest of the AL West's aces this spring. 

The Mariners ace, James Paxton: 10.32 ERA
Oakland's ace, Kendall Graveman: 12.00 ERA
Rangers ace, Cole Hamels: 5.40 ERA

Just some other names of quality arms who have struggled this spring. 

Steve Matz: 10.80 ERA
Jon Gray: 10.22 ERA
Jeff Samardzija: 10.64 ERA
Dylan Bundy: 10.61 ERA
Danny Duffy: 9.35 ERA
Rich Hill: 8.59 ERA

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

The Astros starters have been quality this spring, but let's look at the rest of the AL West's aces this spring. 

The Mariners ace, James Paxton: 10.32 ERA
Oakland's ace, Kendall Graveman: 12.00 ERA
Rangers ace, Cole Hamels: 5.40 ERA

Just some other names of quality arms who have struggled this spring. 

Steve Matz: 10.80 ERA
Jon Gray: 10.22 ERA
Jeff Samardzija: 10.64 ERA
Dylan Bundy: 10.61 ERA
Danny Duffy: 9.35 ERA
Rich Hill: 8.59 ERA

The thing is that those guys have a track record in the MLB. They’ve done enough to earn a “don’t worry it’s spring training card.”  Ohtani hasn’t.  

13 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

He looked great in the first inning. One inning doesn't ruin it for a kid with this type of talent. 

Lots of pitchers get hit hard in ST, but when the bell rings they're a different pitcher. 

I'm guessing he'll look a little better over the next two starts and be fine in the regular season. 

Baseball is different than the other sports where they actually have a very good minor league system to develop talent. The major league level is not the place to do that. I fear placing too much pressure on him could have a lasting, negative impact on him. 

2 minutes ago, jordan said:

The thing is that those guys have a track record in the MLB. They’ve done enough to earn a “don’t worry it’s spring training card.”  Ohtani hasn’t.  

True, but the Angels trust their scouting and his stuff. 

He's not going to start the season in the minors. 

12 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Chuck, great enthusiasm but he's just not there and there isn't enough games to say he will be. He was supposed to get in five innings, he didn't get out of the second. And his pitching is pointing to he won't be logging five innings any time soon against teams better than the Tijuana Torros. 

There is nothing wrong with realizing he needs to start the season in Salt Lake.  He needs more work.  It is obvious to anyone with eyes.

6 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

True, but the Angels trust their scouting and his stuff. 

He's not going to start the season in the minors. 

Don’t get me wrong, I think he will be a star. But this is an enormous transition that he’s been faced with. If he goes into April with a few rough outings, hopefully a trip to SLC can help him straighten things out.