• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Gameday: 3/16 Angels vs Rockies

12 minutes ago, Dick Enberg said:

Huge test for Othani today. Rox can hit, and first time SO facing full time regular ML hitters. Today will tell us a lot. 

I agree. I have been forcing myself not to read too much into early results and panic in his previous games. If he gets shelled today, I will start to get really nervous about him being ready to start the season.

It's go-time for Ohtani. Or Sho-time, but I think you guys get it.

The Angels have been fine with the inconsistencies because it's Spring Training, and this is his first year playing here, so that sort of thing will happen.

While Shohei will be a two-way player for the Angels, Scioscia has made no secret of the fact that Ohtani is a pitcher first.

The Angels are counting on him for 150+ innings this year, and those should be very high quality innings given his immense talent.

The season is just around the corner, so it's time for him to show the Angels a little of what they can expect this season.

It's a hitter friendly environment against s very good offensive team, so they might put up some crooked numbers. But we'll need to see Ohtani locate and throw his off-speed pitches for a strike.

I don't care about the line so much as I care about seeing this "prospect" show the ability to locate and adjust.

3 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

The Angels only have two pitchers after Ohtani today. 

They gotta be praying he's efficient with his pitches. 

I don't understand why there are only two pitchers behind him. What if the unthinkable happens and Ohtani gets dehydrated in the first inning? Then we're screwed.

8 minutes ago, Throwman91 said:

This or his next start (last) should make or break him, however I don't think the media will allow him to go to SLC. :P

I kinda have a problem with this. At the end of the day there is much money at stake; Angels front office should/must/will do whatever is needed. If that means sending Ohtani down for a month, I sure as heck hope the media doesn't get a vote. They could even spin it publicly with a Kris Bryant kind of thing; extending his club-controlled years.  As long as they communicate clearly to Shohei that this is for his own good and development, which I think shouldn't be too tough considering the eye-opening he has probably gotten this spring.  At the end of the day, it's transparent to the Angels; they established a 6-man rotation for Ohtani; if he gets sent down they still have the other five starters for a standard rotation. Added benefit, an extra bench guy for a month or two.

3 minutes ago, Pablo said:

I kinda have a problem with this. At the end of the day there is much money at stake; Angels front office should/must/will do whatever is needed. If that means sending Ohtani down for a month, I sure as heck hope the media doesn't get a vote. They could even spin it publicly with a Kris Bryant kind of thing; extending his club-controlled years.  As long as they communicate clearly to Shohei that this is for his own good and development, which I think shouldn't be too tough considering the eye-opening he has probably gotten this spring.  At the end of the day, it's transparent to the Angels; they established a 6-man rotation for Ohtani; if he gets sent down they still have the other five starters for a standard rotation. Added benefit, an extra bench guy for a month or two.

The media won't get "a vote". It's probably Ohtani who would be resistant to going down. The Angels don't have to listen, but they probably do if they want to ever sign a big time international FA like that again. They can't say it's to manipulate service time. That's against the CBA. The Cubs pretended it wasn't about service time. Also, there isn't that much money at stake. The Angels paid peanuts for Ohtani. Even with his struggles he's still one of their top 5 starters. Hopefully he can develop in the major leagues too. It's not like players stop getting coaching. We even have a dedicated "pitching coach" to help them.

2 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

This whole notion of Ohtani starting in the minors is kind of weird to me.  Which five other starters have been lighting up the Cactus league this spring?

Seriously. 

I think it would be a huge media disaster for Arte and the Angels if Ohtani isn't on the opening day roster. Remember how much shit they got for a tweet about Hamilton? Imagine that times 100.