• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The last roster spot

3 minutes ago, John Smith said:

V-Nysz_q_bigger.jpg MLBRosterMoves @MLBRosterMoves 6m6 minutes ago

.@Angels option INFs Kaleb Cowart, Nolan Fontana, catcher Juan Graterol, RHPs Parker Bridwell, Nick Tropeano to Triple-A Salt Lake.

Quite possibly paving the way for Marte as the last bench spot.  Interesting that Tropeano got optioned.  Wonder what that says about Heaney's health.

8 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Quite possibly paving the way for Marte as the last bench spot.  Interesting that Tropeano got optioned.  Wonder what that says about Heaney's health.

Seven games in a row to start the season, one off day and then 10 straight games.  If Heany can make a start by the sixth game it makes sense to have him up, maybe they wait to see and if he can’t he goes on the DL retroactive to opening day. Trop or Bridwell gets called up at that time.

Carter is still in the mix with Marte

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

What is so great about Marte?    I'm still puzzled by that one.

Nothing is great about him, but he does have some defensive versatility (1B/3B) and effectively serves as Valbuena's platoon partner.  The majority of Valbuena's starts will come at 1B, but I'm sure he'll get some starts at 3B too when Cozart is either subbing in at SS/2B or having an off day.  Marte can pinch hit/play 3rd for Valbuena as needed, depending on the situation.

2 hours ago, NachoPop said:

Carter has more experience in the outfield in the majors than Marte,  before he took over 1B at Houston

Carter hasn't viably played outfield since he was 23, in 2010 with Oakland.

Playing LF in Houston and RF in Yankee Stadium isn't saying much. I highly doubt Carter, or Marte even really, is actually of the LF depth chart at this point, but if so, Jefry probably has the advantage. 

Here’s the deal...

Cowart’s unique skill (the ability to play 2B) really only matters when Kinsler needs a day off. That won’t  happen much early in the season. And when he does need a day, they can plan for it by doing it at a time when the schedule allows them to have Cowart/Fontana in the majors.

If Kinsler gets hurt, Cozart can finish the game and even Valbuena can stand there. (I’m told this is a possibility in an emergency.) Then if Kinsler goes on the DL they can bring up a 2B.

Now if Kinsler needs to be down for 4-5 days, without going on the DL, that’s a problem. They’d need to just send down a pitcher (maybe a starter with options like Skaggs or Shoe or a reliever like Middleton or Pena).

As for Marte, his value is he hits right-handed, so he can complement Valbuena. There may be 1-2 games a week that Ohtani isn’t hitting and you don’t want Valbuena to face a lefty. And you may not want Ohtani to face a lefty either.

Even on the days Ohtani or Valbuena starts, what happens when some nasty lefty reliever comes in? 

These things are all likely to happen multiple times before Kinsler needs a day off. 

As for Carter over Marte, there’s no reason for that because Carter can’t play 3rd and isn’t on the roster. If any infielder gets hurt, Carter comes up. They would have done that with Cron, but he had no options. Carter is a Cron you can start in AAA.

As for the rotation: Richards, Skaggs, Ohtani, Shoemaker, JC, Richards, Skaggs, off, Shoemaker, Ohtani, JC, Richards, Skaggs, Shoemaker.... gets you to 4/12. Then they call up Heaney/Tropeano/Bridwell.

Then they also remove one of their eight relievers. The relievers to start the year will be: Parker, Bedrosian, Johnson, Alvarez, Wood, Middleton and .... this is the part I don’t know... 2 of Pena, Bard, N.Ramirez. 

Pena has been the best but he’s also the only one you can option. I also don’t even know if they’d lose Bard or N.Ramirez if they wanted to send them down. 

I could see them keeping any 2.

Now, all of this is going to change 100 times, so don’t worry about it. 

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

On 3/18/2018 at 11:21 AM, tomsred said:

I think you guys are writing off Cowart way too soon.  He is 25, an above average fielder with the skills to play multiple positions, a patient switch hitter, and has some speed.  There is only one question, can he hit well enough to hold down a spot on this roster.

Cowart hits at least as well as Johnny McDonald did and He lasted 16 years as an utility player based on his defense alone. As soon as an infielder goes on the DL or Marte falters at the plate Cowart will be called up simply because of the positions he plays and his defensive skills.

On 3/19/2018 at 10:56 AM, SuperTroopers said:

I would rather have Cowart because he would at least provide excellent defense and hits from the left side and could run for Albert or Maldonado late in a game.  

Cowart is a switch hitter, in AAA he had more power from the left side but a higher average from the right. Although in the big club he has struggled from both sides. His main attraction is his good defense and versatility.

It was only 2 years ago, but Marte did have a nice 2016 campaign for the Angels. I'm guessing Cowart's good defense is not enough to make up for how bad his bat is. Hopefully, Carter still is on the team at some point during the year. Carter's actually had a few good years with the bat, unlike Marte, who has had only one good year, but more like half of a season. If I had the choice, I would have gave Carter a spot over Marte given his solid track record. A lot more success than Marte in the big leagues.

2 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

What do they do with Perez since he is out of options? With Maldonado, and Rivera getting the catcher duties there doesn't seem to be a spot for Perez. They have very little time left to decide.

Most likely they’ll trade him. But they don’t want to do it till the last minute because he’s insurance if Maldonado or Rivera gets hurt. I’d expect a deal on Monday or Tuesdayish.