• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The last roster spot

I think Carter only makes the team if Ohtani either pitches only or is in Triple A to start the year.

With Valbuena, Pujols and Ohtani...we have too many players and not enough AB's for DH/1B

Right now, we need a guy who can handle some sort of IF position other than 1B.

Cozart has played about 120 games the last two years...and we are also considering him our SS back up.

We need a guy who can spell Cozart at 3B while Cozart spells Simmons at SS (which will not be often) or just be there for when Cozart is out for what ever reason.

As much as many want to down play the late inning sub, a capable 3bman is not a late inning sub, but someone who could start 40+ games this year at 3B.

5 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Yeah....but would they put him out at 2B when the wind and losses matter without logging any time there in the Spring? 

Doubtful.

Also, one other player fits the description besides Walsh and Cowart, Jose Miguel Fernandez. But despite his ability to play 2B and 3B and hit, he'll go to AAA to start the year. 

Me personally, I think the ability to play 2B should be a moot point. Kinsler is among the most durable players in the game. If he gets hurt, whoever plays 2B (Valbuena or Cozart) may only need to do so for a couple innings. The next day we'd see an actual 2B brought up from AAA, be it Cowart, Walsh, Fletcher, Fernandez or even Young Jr, who still takes grounders over there just in case.

For me, I want a power bat off the bench, someone that starts at 1B against LHP and is a solid defensive replacement at 1B after we sit Albert down after the seventh inning.

There isn't anyone that fits that description better than Chris Carter. 

Carter should be on the roster, but it will b Cowart.

The Angels didn't give away CJ Cron to fill the exact same role with a lesser player.

22 hours ago, Hubs said:

I think Cowart would have got the Calhoun audition from 2013 if they weren't in the hunt for the second wild card spot.

Marte is competing for a bench job, but the Angels seem more likely to fill out their three-man bench with an infielder who can handle second base, such as Kaleb Cowart, Jose Miguel Fernandez or Nolan Fontana. Marte, who plays first and third base, has been slowed by a groin injury this spring but has batted .529 (9-for-17) in nine Cactus League games.

2 hours ago, OregonLAA said:

As much as Cowart hasn’t hit, he isn’t going to play all that much. When he does they need a defensive guy out there. And he has a little bit of speed. He will win us games with his defense this year

You’re probably right but I don’t see it that way. I see the team needing run production over what little defense he’ll provide. 

I think you guys are writing off Cowart way too soon.  He is 25, an above average fielder with the skills to play multiple positions, a patient switch hitter, and has some speed.  There is only one question, can he hit well enough to hold down a spot on this roster.  Let Hinske work with him this year, and let's see if he can show some improvement.  Setting the hitting aside, he's a perfect utility player.  I don't think he is going to improve just by being at Salt Lake this year, if the team can't improve him up here I think someone will have an interest in him at another team.

Some of you want a big, reliable hitter in the utility spot.  It's really hard to do that in the utility position where you are playing on such an irregular basis.  Do you think Marte can do that, at the expense of average fielding and slower speed?  Also, we are going to probably break camp with Chris Young in the outfield utility role, do you really think he is much better than Cowart offensively?  Young is not equivalent to Cowart defensively at the positions he plays.   

1 hour ago, beatlesrule said:

Cowart was supposed to be the next third baseman for the Angels and now we're arguing over whether or not he should even make the team. The Angels have been incredibly inept at replacing Glaus.

We are talking about Cowart being a utility player, not a starting third baseman.  We have Zach Cozart to fill that role this year.  Although he may not be equivalent to Glaus either.  

2 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Cowart provides the Angels with more defensive versitility so I think he is probably the choice.

I sure wish he had just a league average bat.

Hell I'd take below league average from him. He's corner infield Mathis.

I don't understand why they'd go Marte over Cowart. Marte makes very little sense to me, but ok, whatever.

I'm a notorious anti-Marte, because I feel a few limited weeks of initial success taint the player he is. I'm always against those type of players.

46 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I don't understand why they'd go Marte over Cowart. Marte makes very little sense to me, but ok, whatever.

I'm a notorious anti-Marte, because I feel a few limited weeks of initial success taint the player he is. I'm always against those type of players.

Plus he is right handed and would literally only be used to play first base or third base against a left handed pitcher when Simmons or Cozart need a day off.  Marte wouldn't pinch hit for any starter, not even Maldonado, because they would just have Rivera hit for him.  I would rather have Cowart because he would at least provide excellent defense and hits from the left side and could run for Albert or Maldonado late in a game.