• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The last roster spot

It should go to Cowart, I'll take his defense and hope he can build up his hitting going forward.  Cowart is fundamentally sound in the field, and can handle second base and third base plus some other positions in an emergency.

Walsh has definitely cooled off in all aspects as the major leaguers have logged more time. I wouldn't mind seeing it go to Chris Carter. The man is hitting the ball, has been all Spring.

Keeping Carter would force Cozart into backing up 2B and SS, but I think he could do it.

It'll be Cowart though. 

I mean really, if all other things were equal, no one has earned it more than David Fletcher, but they'll keep him hitting everyday in AAA.

not sure why Angels even invited Carter to camp.

Halos camp/ roster battle was not the best fit for Carter.

We've got a traffic jam at one-dimensional type DH players -- Puljos, Valbuena and Ohtani (well, one dimensional in terms he is not position player - DH only, perhaps PR).

tough for Carter to bump any one of those guys.

1 hour ago, Throwman91 said:

Cowart can't hit the broad side of a barn on a bright sunny day

He's a defensive replacement unless someone goes on the DL, in that case someone can be called up from AAA. Marte can't play 2B, Cozart could move to second but he is already learning a new position on the job. Cowart can play ever IF position and even the corner OF in a pinch. He won't need to hit very often at all. He can PR also.

Marte, Carter, or Walsh, in that order.

I don't see any reason why Cowart should make the Opening Day roster - he doesn't bring anything to the team that is needed. Marte and Carter both do, a right-handed power bat to PH for or platoon with Valbuena and Ohtani as needed.

Walsh is basically bizarro-Cowart, in that he hits better (and is a switch-hitter) and can play more positions - but glove is much worse.

9 hours ago, Blarg said:

Cowart has the 7th most at bats of anyone on the Angels. 3rd most of infielders. He had plenty of opportunities to show his skills. One of which is not hitting.

I was talking about in the bigs during the regular season.  He’s had a little over 250 at bats over 3 seasons.  

24 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Who didn't give him that chance Strad? Who started swiss cheese bat instead?

Well Swiss cheese bat got 250 at bats, so less than half a season, to a veteran, that the GM brought in.  Most veterans get half a season to figure it out.  

Edited by SuperTroopers

Just now, SuperTroopers said:

Well Swiss cheese bat got 250 at bats, so less than half a season, to a veteran, that the GM brought in.  Most veterans get half a season to figure it out.  

I'm not looking for saber metrics or veteran bs, I'm asking YOU as a fan, could you not see that Espinoza was a waste of time? Was that not blatantly obvious to you? I don't care what the GM does, you as the coach need to understand that that guy is costing you games. Grow a pair and tell the GM to open his eyes.

Cowart's career numbers in the minors with the bat wasn't even good, either. He was a bad pick by the Angels. Give the roster spot to Carter! He's like two years removed from a terrific season with the Brewers. And had a couple of good years with the Astros. Angels are a team trying to win now,  not a team trying to give unproven guys a chance at succeeding in the big leagues.

5 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

I'm not looking for saber metrics or veteran bs, I'm asking YOU as a fan, could you not see that Espinoza was a waste of time? Was that not blatantly obvious to you? I don't care what the GM does, you as the coach need to understand that that guy is costing you games. Grow a pair and tell the GM to open his eyes.

Yes it was obvious he was bad at baseball.   As far as what the GM does, well you need a second baseman, so what he does is kind of important.   So if I had to choose between great defense and Espinosa or start Pennington, well I don’t know what I’d do.   But if we break those two players up into offense and defense, there’s literally only one good tool out of the two players and that would be Espinosa’s defense.