• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Has anyone played their way on/off the roster?

There really weren't a ton of open spots on the roster to begin with, maybe a reserve infielder and reliever. 

If it were truly up for grabs, I'd say David Fletcher earned the utility infielder spot, but I think he'll go back to AAA. 

I think Colin Walsh has beat out Kaleb Cowart and Jose Miguel Fernandez for the utility infielder spot. Cowart is the best defensive option, and Fernandez is the best hitter of the bunch, but Walsh looks like a steady blend of the two.

In the bullpen, John Lamb has given the Angels something to think about. He won't displace Alvarez, but he does make Alvarez's leash much shorter.

Felix Pena and Noe Ramirez look outstanding. Luke Bard hasn't separated himself from the pack, which could cost him his roster spot.

Keynan Middleton looks to have gained 20 pounds the wrong way, and his command and change up look poor so far.

JC Ramirez has looked better this Spring than I thought. I was sure he'd be a reliever to keep his arm healthy, but both he and the Angels seem comfortable with him being the 6th starter.

He's looked great this Spring. Generally, I'm not a big fan of two-pitch starters, but Ramires's 98 mph fastball and slider are both solid pitches.

4 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

With Skaggs being out  last year and bridwell having a great year I was wanting to see Skaggs demand his rotation spot back and I haven't seen that. 

Why did you have to do that to Bridwell? Damn it. 

18 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

With Skaggs being out  last year and bridwell having a great year I was wanting to see Skaggs demand his rotation spot back and I haven't seen that. 

Bridwell gave two more runs in third. Last season Bridwell did good, but out playing his peripherals. He may have been lucky, I guess we will find out soon.

8 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Colin Walsh made both outs this inning and a crucial error last inning. According to Spring Training overreacting regulations, I must demand he be removed from consideration.

Demote to rookie ball, plz. 

Middleton is a disappointment.  Guy wasn't great last year, but had a chance to build off of some important experience.  Yet he shows up fat and out of shape.  

Pena and Ramirez have been much more impressive.  

I like the quality of at bats Chris Carter has been putting together.   Gonna be tough to find a roster spot for him.  

I think they'll send Bard back or work a deal to keep him in the minors.  

Blake Wood hasn't won a job.  

Walsh has likely won himself a job but I wouldn't get too excited.  

16 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Middleton is a disappointment.  Guy wasn't great last year, but had a chance to build off of some important experience.  Yet he shows up fat and out of shape.  

Pena and Ramirez have been much more impressive.  

I like the quality of at bats Chris Carter has been putting together.   Gonna be tough to find a roster spot for him.  

I think they'll send Bard back or work a deal to keep him in the minors.  

Blake Wood hasn't won a job.  

Walsh has likely won himself a job but I wouldn't get too excited.  

Can we jinx somebody else please? Bridwell and Pena both awful today. I'll give it a try:

Josh Hamilton looks great this spring, routes seem on a line, balls consistently strung out on the white chalk for multiple bases.

11 minutes ago, 101halo said:

Can we jinx somebody else please? Bridwell and Pena both awful today. I'll give it a try:

Josh Hamilton looks great this spring, routes seem on a line, balls consistently strung out on the white chalk for multiple bases.

Pena actually wasn't that bad.  lots of weak hits and had some very foolish swings against him.  

Just now, Dochalo said:

Pena actually wasn't that bad.  lots of weak hits and had some very foolish swings against him.  

Gotcha. Trying to clean up around the house so wasn't watching him that closely. 

Hoping the same applied Bridwell? I'm one of those that did see his results last year and worried they were way different than you'd expect from his K/9, BB/9 and HR/FB. But also remembering that those never gave Weaver his fair due either. 

Saw that Blash had a 2 run HR in the other game, checked his mlb.com site and hadn't realized his nickname is big daddy. Was already rooting for him, and that just increases that desire for him to succeed. Not looking good this spring, but still some time to turn it around. 

There's no way Bridwell deserves to start over Skaggs. Yes, he was solid last year but if you're expecting him to repeat that 3.64 ERA from last year, you're going to be disappointed. his 4.84 FIP doesn't bode well. I'd be very, very surprised if he managed an ERA below 4.00 this year, which makes him a solid back of the rotation type, and a nice player to stash in AAA. Skaggs, on other hand, still could be a solid #3 (3.50 ERA), with a chance at being a #2 (3.00 ERA). He just needs to stay healthy, and the Angels will give him a chance to do that.

As for the rest...Middleton obviously belongs in AAA, along with Fernandez, Blash, etc. Walsh vs. Cowart is still pending.

Chris Carter might be nice to stash in AAA, too, as a back-up plan to Valbuena/Pujols at 1B/DH. The Angels have to see if Pujols can turn it around, but if he can't manage a .700 OPS I think he'll be relegated to a platoon role by mid-season. 

I have a feeling that by the end of the year, Fernandez and Carter will be on the roster, and Valbuena gone and Pujols possibly benched.

3 hours ago, SuperTroopers said:

TDawg played his way into Chuck’s bed based on his performance this spring, not that there is anything wrong with that.  

In his first at-bat he immediately got two balls.

2 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Colin Walsh made both outs this inning and a crucial error last inning. According to Spring Training overreacting regulations, I must demand he be removed from consideration.

It’s the same type of reactions that value what he’s done this spring only opposite.  I hope he does well, we need all the useful depth we can get.