• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Trout and Simmons don't have a hit yet

nate

Yeah, but I would expect that year to come when he is closer to 30. He typically only has ONE sub-Trout month per year, usually September. I cant see it lasting for an entire season.

Anyway, this first pitch thing is interesting. Maybe he needs to see a pitch for timing purposes. Let him take a first pitch in his first AB each game, but after that, all pitches are fair game. I thought I read somewhere that batters have the highest BA on first pitches. No? Maybe that is why all these guys are swinging early.

17 hours ago, JustATroutFan said:

A lot of MLB superstar players have had a bad year in their career where you just can't figure out the reason for is.

Frank Thomas wasn't good by his standards in 1998, McCutchen had a tough year in 2016, Felix Hernandez did poorly by his great standards in 2015 and even Miggy had a bad year last season.

Trout's going to have one of those years where you wonder what happen to his elite hitting skills. He's not always going to be the great player that we have known for so many years, now. It's just a matter of "when", not "if". If he does have a bad year this year, by his standards, by putting up an OPS of about .800, then the Angels will need someone else to step up their game even more. Possibly Upton and he's shown that he can have a great year before in his career.

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!

Where's my pitchfork?

18 minutes ago, Fish Oil said:

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!

Where's my pitchfork?

Trout's going to have one of those bad years that a lot of superstar MLB players have. I just hope it doesn't occur in any of the next 5-6 seasons. At about 30-32, that is when most stars decline. Age catches up with everyone, you know.

23 hours ago, JustATroutFan said:

A lot of MLB superstar players have had a bad year in their career where you just can't figure out the reason for is.

Frank Thomas wasn't good by his standards in 1998, McCutchen had a tough year in 2016, Felix Hernandez did poorly by his great standards in 2015 and even Miggy had a bad year last season.

Trout's going to have one of those years where you wonder what happen to his elite hitting skills. He's not always going to be the great player that we have known for so many years, now. It's just a matter of "when", not "if". If he does have a bad year this year, by his standards, by putting up an OPS of about .800, then the Angels will need someone else to step up their game even more. Possibly Upton and he's shown that he can have a great year before in his career.

Trout has been compared to Mickey Mantle a lot. Mickey Mantle never had a terrible year, in fact his worst two years were his last two years and his OBP were .391 and .385 and he was 35 and 36 with bad legs.

2 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Trout has been compared to Mickey Mantle a lot. Mickey Mantle never had a terrible year, in fact his worst two years were his last two years and his OBP were .391 and .385 and he was 35 and 36 with bad legs.

Well, by Mantle's standards, he did have an "off" year in 1965. His slash line that year was .255/.379./.452. If Trout put up that slash line this season, it would feel like the world is going to end.

1 minute ago, JustATroutFan said:

Well, by Mantle's standards, he did have an "off" year in 1965. His slash line that year was .255/.379./.452. If Trout put up that slash line this season, it would feel like the world is going to end.

That's still not a terrible year, and Mantle were slowed down by injuries during the 1965 season.

So if I guess if Trout is plagued with injuries then yeah sure he could have an off year. But in 1965 Mantle had a year that 80% of players would have been proud of.

17 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

That's still not a terrible year, and Mantle were slowed down by injuries during the 1965 season.

So if I guess if Trout is plagued with injuries then yeah sure he could have an off year. But in 1965 Mantle had a year that 80% of players would have been proud of.

If Pujols could put up Mantle's slash line in 1965 this season, we would jump for joy.

It's a longshot, but you just never know.

16 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

Mantle was a raging alcoholic his entire career.  What he did to his body for 63+ years is crazy when you consider how long he lasted.   His first truly subpar season was in 1965 at the age of 33 where he put up 1.8 WAR in 435 PA.  By that time he'd become a rather bad defensive OFer (makes sense considering his abuse).  

Trout will do what he does for the next 6 or 7 years at least.  What will separate him from an inner circle HOFer vs a player considered in the top 5 of all time will be his age 34-40 seasons.  

I could still see Mike being a 4-6 WAR player during his declining years because of his otherworldly plate discipline and tremendous power.  He could be a 5 WAR player in his sleep with a .250 avg and .400 obp as well as a slg of .500.  

He got better last year.  If not for the injury, it would have been his best season.  

Mike Trout is 26.  That blows my mind.  

31 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

If pujols put up the same this season, it would feel like the world was going to start.

(I tried like crazy to think of something better to describe the opposite, but am useless).