• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Marte or Valbuena?

Chuck

On 3/2/2018 at 3:16 PM, disarcina said:

Valbuena - but why do I think Marte has the better glove and Valbuena the better (power) bat ?

If Pujols plays 1B this year on the days that Ohtani is not in the line-up (meaning he pitched the day before or is pitching the next day) -- expect Valbuena to get some late inning playing time at 1B.

It'll go something like this:  Pujols, in the line up at 1B, doubles to start the sixth, perhaps even as soon as the fifth inning......Ohtaini runs for Puljos, Valbuena plays 1b the rest of the way.

Now, we also have Carter in camp and picked up another OF'er with a bat --- either one of those guys could be DHing........for some reason I don't think Carter makes the 25 man roster........and as I type this, someone may let me know that Carter has already been released from camp -- I just don't see Carter making the team and unless he wants to be a 5-A player at SLC this year, it's best he get cut loose soon so he can have chance to catch on with an MLB team that might keep him on the roster to start the season.

I can't disagree with this more. Valbuena is a poor to average defensive first baseman, Pujols is an average first baseman. Valbuena won't be a defensive replacement often. I actually think the 6 day split is 3-4 days a week at DH for Ohtani, and 2-3 days a week at DH for Pujols. I think Pujols also gets a day off a week on weeks we don't have a day off. I'd expect 145 games from Pujols. But 55-60 at DH. Ohtani hitting often and early will dictate how often he hits as DH.

Carter is injury insurance at first only. Marte is also likely to be outrighted to the minors as he is out of options. They are loaded in the OF.

On 3/2/2018 at 3:21 PM, disarcina said:

Cozart will play closer to 120 games at 3B is he stays healthy.

he will spell an aging Kinsler at 2B about once a week during the second half perhaps.

I'd expect him to play 130 at 3rd, leaving 10-20 for each Valbuena and Cowart. Cowart will be the primary backup at 2nd. But I expect Cozart to also get 10 games at SS. He won't play 2nd often. If he does well defensively at 3rd, I think they look for a new 2B after Kinsler, but maybe they bring back Ian for 1-2 more seasons if he does well this year.

my earlier comment about Pujols is more about what a liability he is on the base paths more than anything else.

Ohtani has wheels and can fly -- I'd be tempted to run Ohtani for Pujols almost as early as the 5th inning -- but then I you really can't risk playing Ohtani in the field so Valbuena is who you have for 1B unless you are going to move Cozart over there for the late innings and Valbuena at first - I'd rather have Cozart at 3B late innings.......Cozart and Simmons means not much getting through that side of the infield.