• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

OC Register: Vladimir Guerrero discusses Angels jersey No. 27 issue, and Hall of Fame

AngelsWin.com

TEMPE, Ariz. — There are two No. 27s in Angels camp these days.

Vladimir Guerrero, last month elected to the Hall of Fame, has been in uniform as a guest instructor. His presence allowed for revisiting the question that has gotten new life ever since Guerrero said last month he’d go into the Hall representing the Angels, a first for the franchise.

A number retirement ceremony by the Angels would seem an obvious event, except for the fact that Mike Trout is currently wearing No. 27, the same number Guerrero wore.

“I know who wears No. 27 and he is doing a fantastic job wearing it,” Guerrero said Sunday morning, with Angels broadcaster Jose Mota as his interpreter. “It might be a different story if the person wearing it was not as good as he was. It might be easier for the team. I am very proud of what Mike Trout has done wearing 27, and to me it’s not an issue at all.”

There is precedent for the team to retire 27 for Guerrero, yet still allow Trout to wear it. When Major League Baseball retired 42 for Jackie Robinson, the players who were wearing it — most notably, Mariano Rivera — were allowed to continue. The Angels could also still retire 27 a second time, for Trout.

Trout said no one with the team has broached the subject. He said he just found the number in his locker when was called up in 2011, and he’s been honored to wear it since.

“It’s pretty cool to wear his number,” Trout said Sunday. “I know what kind of person he is and what he brought to the game and what he brought to the organization.”

In the meantime, Guerrero is still basking in the glow of his election to the Hall, which came in just his second year on the ballot. He said he’s been overwhelmed with the response he’s gotten from fans, particularly back home in the Dominican Republic.

“One of the jokes was ‘Why don’t you run for President?’” Guerrero said.

He added that the biggest difference in his life is some people in the Dominican “think I just got this big signing bonus for making it to the Hall of Fame. Many people are knocking on my door at 7 or 8 in the morning saying ‘Why don’t you share a little more with us?’”

Guerrero said his Dominican roots will be a key part of his induction speech, which he will deliver in Spanish, with Mota translating.

“I want to keep it as simple as possible,” he said. “I want to speak about the opportunities I got representing the Dominican, and beyond the Dominican, representing Latin America. There will be some things I write down in my notes that I won’t get to, but mainly I want to speak from the heart. It really means a lot to me the people I will be representing that day.”

View the full article

52 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

They act as if Jose Mota is the only bilingual speaker around major league baseball.

to be fair and knowing Vlad a little from hanging out with him, he does value those he knows well and for some reason speaks good English but is afraid to do it in a public setting.